Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2012, 03:22 PM

50,116 posts, read 46,724,808 times

Advertisements

The ISPs will get you want you want if you pay for it. The County and City are broke yet talking about silly things like libraries and football stadiums so even if we EVER get money in the coffers it won't be going to appease people's entitlement to high speed data.

I don't care if land masses above San Fran (my limit) have free health care, free coffee, free bidets it won't matter to me cause I am NEVER going to move there. Rain sux!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2012, 03:47 PM
509 509 started this thread

6,323 posts, read 6,981,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
The ISPs will get you want you want if you pay for it. The County and City are broke yet talking about silly things like libraries and football stadiums so even if we EVER get money in the coffers it won't be going to appease people's entitlement to high speed data.

I don't care if land masses above San Fran (my limit) have free health care, free coffee, free bidets it won't matter to me cause I am NEVER going to move there. Rain sux!
Well, if you refuse to invest in the future you will always live the past.

Of course, investing in circuses is a sure path to ruin as proven by the Romans.

Old 02-21-2012, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 509 View Post
Well, if you refuse to invest in the future you will always live the past.

Of course, investing in circuses is a sure path to ruin as proven by the Romans.
We deliver what the customer wants. As any business we are not interested in what the other thans "want". We have paying customers. We will move into the future without the people too cheap to afford our services. It's the States job to divide up the bad customers to all ISPs. Businesses don't volunteer to take losses. This isn't welfare and shouldn't be treated as such. It's bad enough ISPs get pennies on the dollar from the State or Feds for services we provide to low income users. All that does is hinder development of better backbone.

People forget that free isn't really free. Everyone else has to cover it.

Last edited by 1AngryTaxPayer; 02-21-2012 at 05:11 PM..

Old 02-21-2012, 05:55 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,565,253 times
I live a few miles outside of the 'city' and all we have is satellite Internet and its reallllllly expensive so we declined. I've lived out here for a while now and found that tethering from my phone is perfectly fine for the majority of what I need to do. Anything else can be done at work or at a public wifi place. I don't download anything big and don't stream anything either. I also don't have cable and find myself spending more time outside and focusing on my hobbies instead.

Maybe you should focus a bit more on the beauty of California and not worry about how we manage to live in such third world conditions

Old 02-21-2012, 07:02 PM

17,613 posts, read 22,556,937 times
Quote:
Ok, we made it to Coarsegold today. Connection speed is at 1.2mpbs. Wow, I guess if I lived in California I would think this was fast.

Seriously guys, ARE there any plans to upgrade internet access in California. I read in the papers you guys are spending BILLIONS on the technology of the 10th Century (Windmills) and the 19th Century (Trains).

Is there anybody talking about improving the internet infrastructure in California??

By the way, if you read the USA Today article it was 5 million (not billion) to set up an wi-fi cloud over Umatilla County, Oregon for a population of 11,000 people.

Come on, you guys have that many people stuck in traffic!! What is 5 million dollars in California?? Chump change.

What is the problem??
Did you stay at Escapees Park Sierra in CoarseGold? It looks real Beautiful.
Photo Galleries, Park of the Sierras

Old 04-08-2012, 11:20 AM
509 509 started this thread

6,323 posts, read 6,981,006 times
Yes, we did stay at the Escapees Park. Nice park. I worked just outside Yosemite National Park and inside Sequoia National Park in the 1970's. It was nice to look at visit those areas and see the changes. Over 30 years the natural landscape does change dramatically.

We are back in Wenatchee and enjoying the 100/100 internet service for $30/month!!!!

Here is a Ford Foundation link to communities that are on the cutting edge in access to the information age.

Advancing Media Rights and Access / Ford Foundation

In eastern Washington we had to overcome the objections of Governor Locke in the 1990's to providing public broadband services. Notice that according to the Ford Foundation there are no legal limits to high speed municipal systems in California.

Old 04-08-2012, 10:22 PM

5,242 posts, read 13,043,351 times
This is the bundle page for the community ISP you seem to be talking about (click on plans):

Internet - LocalTel

25 mbps download is $37 a month. That is pretty similar to cable speeds and rates in California, at least if you get a 6 month or 12 month deal from Comcast or Charter or whatever. And they even have dialup for $20 a month, not a very good deal.

Old 04-09-2012, 10:06 AM

1,472 posts, read 2,402,964 times
Well, Verizon FiOS has made it into Alameda county, that's a start.

Old 04-09-2012, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayorhaggar View Post
This is the bundle page for the community ISP you seem to be talking about (click on plans):

Internet - LocalTel

25 mbps download is $37 a month. That is pretty similar to cable speeds and rates in California, at least if you get a 6 month or 12 month deal from Comcast or Charter or whatever. And they even have dialup for $20 a month, not a very good deal.
My connections blows that out of water here in SD.

Old 04-09-2012, 05:54 PM

3,113 posts, read 8,359,312 times
Quote:
Are there any plans to move California into the 21st Century??
Maybe our version of progress is just a little different than yours?

Like in Riverside, California, they offer free WIFI, pretty much city-wide. And when it was first rolled out in 2007, it was the AT&T's first ever deployment of municipal Wi-Fi. (The city has since changed to a new provider - AT&T is out.)

It may be slower than you're used to - but it's fairly progressive!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California