Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2016, 07:32 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,480,254 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellzshadow4 View Post
I am in Minnesota so I know nothing of California but I like the idea of the beautiful redwoods and some isolation. It is romantic to me. But my education and experience are affiliated with mechanical, firefighting, and police science.
You could work for Pelican Bay prison or the Forest Service in Del Norte County.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2016, 10:05 PM

964 posts, read 993,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
You could work for Pelican Bay prison or the Forest Service in Del Norte County.
There's also the county sheriff's office and Highway Patrol in Del Norte.

Old 05-19-2017, 10:00 PM

22 posts, read 29,412 times
Default This thread

Interesting how I keep landing on this conversation thread over the months. Very recently retired teacher, so sub'ing and tutoring is fine... Interesting to read about Southern Oregon coast; I had called about credential transfer process, didn't realize it was such an issue.

I would like to move near redwoods and coast (like fog/mist and clouds) in a nurturing space with moderate cool weather and space (less congested).... Currently live in San Jose and visit Henry Cowell in Felton weekly. Much of what I would like doesn't seem to be together. Trader Joe's and Peets or something similar and Bohemian with historical narrative rather than hipster. A co-op market at least, and maybe live music?

A little too much of anything and everything goes in Santa Cruz (x-treme freedom) with an attitude and politically one-sided (sorry I'm a centrist). Great to visit the area and wonderful unique places that I appreciate of all kinds and the weather is amazing near Capitola, sigh not sure it's where I want to share home. A lot of home school anti-think. Also when people say mountain drives, they're talking with a chainsaw in their trunk mentality. Redwood Grove always beautiful. It's a great balance for San Jose. I want the balance in one place or at least close by.

What didn't work with Humboldt; I'm curious? Somebody mentioned Fortuna, sorry (gross) that's like a redwood graveyard gas chamber area that reeks of dead redwoods and has a Denny's?

What about Port Orford, Gasquet, Occidental, Sebastapol, San Carlos (near 280)? Help me out peeps. please. Mill Valley library on the outside looked nice; it gets hot there. Isn't the traffic on 101 bad? Are there still bookstores and wood burning fireplaces. Appreciate and enjoy while you can because when you retire, it maybe outdated and a thing of the past. Best. Much clearing, home sales, and then.....Road trip north. Where to explore?

Old 05-19-2017, 11:37 PM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
You could look at Fort Bragg in Mendocino? And McKinleyville, if Arcata turns out to not be your cup of tea. Gasquet? Really?? Pretty remote up there. Take a look at this thread, if you haven't already, and click on the link DCMann posted, to his thread all about the north coast, for more info.
http://www.city-data.com/forum/calif...ty-school.html

Old 05-20-2017, 06:46 PM

8,452 posts, read 15,034,390 times
Take a look at Ferndale. Mostly-preserved Victorian town with cool shops, live music, a coastal locale, and a real community.

Old 05-22-2017, 05:40 PM

3,335 posts, read 2,922,710 times
Arcata!

Old 07-06-2017, 05:11 PM

2 posts, read 1,201 times
Hi Dream,
Just reading thru old posts. If you're still wanting feedback about moving out to a smaller town. Let me know. I have something in common with you and your situation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California