Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2012, 01:59 AM

4,254 posts, read 5,582,440 times

Advertisements

You're not a real Californian until you've participated in one of California's most unique and enduring traditions - the Portuguese bullfight. California is home to thousands of ethnic Portuguese who settled little towns in the Central Valley after fleeing volcanic activity in the beautiful Azores islands. Many of them are associated with the dairy industry which provides ample familiarity with the necessary livestock.

Unlike the Spanish tradition, Portuguese bullfights are bloodless. That is, the bull is not slaughtered in the ring but is often fought several times thoroughout its life, until it catches on and refuses to play, after which it is privately slaughtered for meat.

The bullfights are typically associated with Catholic feasts - such as Our Lady of Miracles in Gustine, or Our Lady of Fatima in Thornton - and the bullrings are often located on parish grounds, just behind a church.

Bloodless bullfighting is legal in California, but the state oddly forbids public promotion or advertising. Therefore you need to be "in the know" to find out when and where they are being held. It helps tremendously to speak Portuguese. Alternatively, you can join an e-mail list for a small donation.

TERTULIA.T.TERCEIRENSE EM CALIFORNIA - YouTube

Old 02-06-2012, 08:59 AM

6,390 posts, read 9,630,685 times
Excellent post reflecting on one of the last vestiges of the IndoEuropean Religious tradition. Bullfights, like the sacred cattle in India and the cult of Mithras (you know, son of god comes to earth to save mankind from their sins, adherents are washed in the blood of the lamb.... oops, I mean Bull, this started 800 BC, seems a popular American Religion borrowed its key tenant from that)are left over from the ancient IndoEuropean religion.

You see, Indo Europeans, that is us, mostly, worship the Bull, unlike the semites who hold sheep as holy, lamb of god etc.

Bullfighting is one of the last vestiges of that worship.

Old 02-06-2012, 09:11 AM

4,183 posts, read 6,501,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by .highnlite View Post
Excellent post reflecting on one of the last vestiges of the IndoEuropean Religious tradition. Bullfights, like the sacred cattle in India and the cult of Mithras (you know, son of god comes to earth to save mankind from their sins, adherents are washed in the blood of the lamb.... oops, I mean Bull, this started 800 BC, seems a popular American Religion borrowed its key tenant from that)are left over from the ancient IndoEuropean religion.

You see, Indo Europeans, that is us, mostly, worship the Bull, unlike the semites who hold sheep as holy, lamb of god etc.

Bullfighting is one of the last vestiges of that worship.
You mean bullfighting has pagan roots? For a while there I thought Catholics invented bullfighting. Who would have known?

Old 02-06-2012, 09:20 AM

Both are pagan, but Catholic - ism and Christianity are Semitic religions, Middle Eastern in Origin.
Bull worship is Indo European, East Indians, Iranians, most Europeans (not Basque) are Indo Europeans.

Old 02-06-2012, 09:25 AM

36,628 posts, read 67,168,373 times
I want to attend. And I speak Portuguese! LOL.

Old 02-06-2012, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
I want to attend. And I speak Portuguese! LOL.
Bullfighting in California-California Bullfights-Bloodless Bullfights

Old 02-06-2012, 09:39 AM

8,229 posts, read 13,310,048 times
Very interesting (not the religious history but the B-fighting in CA part) but I really would like to see the one with blood. It might still be fun but to me, bloodless bullfighting seems like drinking decaf coffee.

Old 02-06-2012, 10:05 AM

25,619 posts, read 36,509,148 times
Bloodless bullfighting is ceremonial. Like the ceremonial nature of the Super Bowl yesterday.

Like watching a parade with the potential for injury and or death.

Old 02-06-2012, 11:58 AM

4,254 posts, read 5,582,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurcoLoco View Post
Very interesting (not the religious history but the B-fighting in CA part) but I really would like to see the one with blood. It might still be fun but to me, bloodless bullfighting seems like drinking decaf coffee.
I've never been to a Spanish-style bullfight, but from what I gather the bloodless Portuguese bullfights are much more dangerous for the fighters and therefore more exciting. It's the sport of the thing.

Old 02-06-2012, 01:45 PM

37,042 posts, read 41,972,100 times
Very cool. I went to the sites and think I want to see this at least once in my life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California