Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2012, 04:06 PM

2,190 posts, read 6,836,438 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunbar42 View Post
Here is an article where one of the dispensary trade groups is opposing prop 19. And here is another one about why growers opposed it. The reason they oppose it is because if prices drop than so do profit margins. Lower profit margins mean many of them wouldn't be able to make a living at it anymore. The current system is very restrictive. With the exception of Mendocino County, which allows certain growers up to 100 plants, individual growers can only grow in a 10'x10' space. They also have to be willing to face very serious federal sentencing guidelines that could put them to jail for life if the federal government decided to prosecute them. Do you really think it costs $1500-8000 to grow a pound of marijuana? Of course not, it's a combination of state regulations that keep supply low and the "jail risk" growers and sellers face. Incidentally, those are the same forces that keep illicit street drug prices very high.
Oh no ... i have to read.
But thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2012, 04:14 PM

2,964 posts, read 5,435,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunbar42 View Post
Dude, look at youtube, it is perfectly safe to brew your own beer. Ditto for wine. Most people choose not to brew it themselves for the sake of convenience. Do I want to spend hours of my free time brewing my own or $15-20 to buy a case of beer at the supermarket? It's also illegal to sell home brewed beer in most states, you can only brew it for personal consumption.
So you're saying no one would grow and distribute their own pot? I'm really honestly trying to bead in on thoughts about what would actually happen. I'm as concerned about realities as anyone and I think I'm on point bringing it up. As for the Alaska experiment, what are your personal opinions about it?

Old 02-08-2012, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunjee View Post
So you're saying no one would grow and distribute their own pot? I'm really honestly trying to bead in on thoughts about what would actually happen. I'm as concerned about realities as anyone and I think I'm on point bringing it up. As for the Alaska experiment, what are your personal opinions about it?
Just to clarify, marijuana is an herb.
And anyone who has even a little bit of a green thumb can grow a plant but growing really good quality marijuana takes knowledge and experience and work .... and love.

Old 02-08-2012, 05:12 PM

1,626 posts, read 4,000,827 times
Quote:
If it were legal and cheap like booze most people would buy it rather than grow it. Legalizing it would put the drug dealers and cartels out of the marijuana business (something like 50% of their revenue) which would be a huge benefit to society. There wasn't really an Alaska experiment, that's just one of those myths the DEA and other supporters of prohibition continue to use to try to scare people away from legalization.

Old 02-09-2012, 06:50 AM

11,999 posts, read 12,875,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wing Feathers View Post
Pot has no side effects? There was no good reason why it has long been frowned upon by almost all the world? Interesting...
All of the World? Marijuana has been criminalized for less than 1% of the time of it's known existence. It has been used throughout various cultures and civilizations for thousands of years. America is the outlier.

It isn't just about smoking Marijuana either. America is the only Industrial country in the World that doesn't grow Industrial Hemp. We could use the plant for paper, stopping deforestation. We could use Hemp Oil to energize our vehicles, stopping our dependance on a finite and dirty resource. We could use Hemp for clothing, adding a material that is stronger than cotton. Food, Construction, etc.

The opportunities are endless but so is the competition Marijuana would bring to hundreds of Industrys, which scares some people.

Old 02-10-2012, 08:22 PM

22,619 posts, read 24,441,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayAreaHillbilly View Post
Real Republicans (and republicans) are in favor of legalization in general (a la alcohol). Forget medicinal, make it a legal recreational adult substance.

Hear-hear........people want to smoke it for ANY reason.......fine with me. Legalize it......one less thing Big Brother can use as an excuse to harass you for.

Old 02-10-2012, 08:57 PM

37,081 posts, read 42,050,241 times
Quote:
That's how business start so I'm sure some people WOULD. Microbrew's are popular, small wineries, etc. But they are still regulated.

It's like growing anything, making anything, producing anything...some people will be successful at it and most won't.

Old 02-10-2012, 09:46 PM

most won't grow to sell.
some may grow for themselves and that's not a bad thing at all.
and again, it's not like watering ones houseplants once a week.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California