Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2012, 09:17 PM

6,390 posts, read 9,635,072 times

Advertisements

Sikhs have been here, and so have muslims, tain't no big deal. Before 9/11 MOD CUT no one paid any attention to American Muslims.

Our universities are full of both muslims and hindus from the Subcontinent, and nobody can tell which is which.

Last edited by NewToCA; 02-08-2012 at 08:38 AM..

Old 02-07-2012, 09:41 PM

2,190 posts, read 6,832,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by .highnlite View Post
Sikhs have been here, and so have muslims, tain't no big deal. Before 9/11 MOD CUT no one paid any attention to American Muslims.

Our universities are full of both muslims and hindus from the Subcontinent, and nobody can tell which is which.
Right, but it's after 9/11 and many people have intensely negative attitudes toward Muslims.
It's glib to say that it isn't a big deal since you're not the one who is a potential target of the hateful and the ignorant.
My point was that there's a difference between an established community and a single woman coming to America.
Btw, Sikhs are not Hindus nor are they Muslims (people often assume they're Muslim).

Last edited by NewToCA; 02-08-2012 at 08:39 AM..

Old 02-07-2012, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaijai View Post
Right, but it's after 9/11 and many people have intensely negative attitudes toward Muslims.
It's glib to say that it isn't a big deal since you're not the one who is a potential target of the hateful and the ignorant.
My point was that there's a difference between an established community and a single woman coming to America.
Btw, Sikhs are not Hindus nor are they Muslims (people often assume they're Muslim).
I think you are over reacting, there are not "many" who have intensely negative attitudes toward muslims, it is mainly the nuts. I recently read a research paper on attitudes toward muslims.
The conclusion was that those who are prejudiced against minority groups, blacks, Jews, gays, etc are also prejudiced against muslims.

Conversely, those who accept minority groups also accept muslims.

Essentially, prejudiced people are prejudiced people without much distinction for which group they are prejudiced against.

muslims fare no worse overall than other minority groups.

Old 02-07-2012, 11:26 PM

2,190 posts, read 6,832,228 times
Quote:
I think you are over reacting, there are not "many" who have intensely negative attitudes toward muslims, it is mainly the nuts. I recently read a research paper on attitudes toward muslims.
The conclusion was that those who are prejudiced against minority groups, blacks, Jews, gays, etc are also prejudiced against muslims.

Essentially, prejudiced people are prejudiced people without much distinction for which group they are prejudiced against.

Nah, i'm just protective.
But that research makes sense.
And i can only speak as someone who is non-mainstream. It's as close as i'll ever be to a minority group which isn't too close but i know that as one who's kinda different, it's always easier for me to live in an area that is socially liberal and that is diverse.
I can only imagine what it is like to be part of a minority group so that's all i have to go on and i imagine that if i were a woman of Palestinian / Jordanian origin and coming to America for the first time, i'd feel more comfortable in a liberal and diverse community.
But her wish / main requirement is to live in a place where there is a high population of Arab Americans.
I don't know if that's to be found in a more conservative area of California but i admit that i haven't read every post on this thread carefully so i don't know what has been suggested.

Old 02-08-2012, 12:33 AM

4,254 posts, read 5,585,045 times
Quote:

This is total nonsense. 40% of Americans believe that Islam is more violent than other religions. And you can be sure that percentage is higher in the Central Valley. That's "many" if "many" means anything.

Last edited by WesternPilgrim; 02-08-2012 at 02:01 AM..

Old 02-08-2012, 12:41 AM

4,254 posts, read 5,585,045 times
Quote:
The mid Sacramento Valley is pretty darned Conservative yet many of the states 100,000 Sikhs live and and farm and are accepted there..
The Sikhs have the distinct advantage of not having waged a perpetual jihad against Christendom for 1,500 years.

Quote:
Americans are pretty decent people on the whole, and those who are not led by racist ideologies get along with everyone.
Agreed. I've probably known more Muslims personally than both of you put together. Lived with them, partied with them, studied with them, worked with them. Discussed religion and terrorism and sharia and jihad with them. Until the wee hours of the morning, in person.

MOD CUT

Last edited by NewToCA; 02-08-2012 at 08:41 AM.. Reason: getting too far off topic

Old 02-08-2012, 07:38 AM

653 posts, read 941,251 times
Yawwwwnnn.... I think if we stop giving the (to follow the pre-established thread theme) nut(s) a platform on this thread, they'll go away. It seems they're just looking for a debate to push their own religious agenda, and only responding to posts that will continue to fuel their agenda and not show them in the true light in which they stand.

I asked a very specific question, and of course got no answer. I'm not sure how one can make assumptions about an age group, if they won't reveal their age (to give their point validity).

I'm not sure how one can make statements about a city, if they won't reveal their location or knowledge of the area they're speaking of (to give their point validity).

Enough said.

And, so what if 40% of Americans think a certain group is more violent. Whether or not that is true (and I beg to differ on the numbers), it does not mean that there is adverse feelings towards that group. Anyone who makes that leap in judgement has their own issues to deal with.

MOD CUT

To the OP, again, stick to a liberal large city such as San Fran, not the back woods where the haters typically like to hide (not that all back woods-ers are haters, by any means - I have some family that live in the back woods), and you'll be fine.

Last edited by NewToCA; 02-08-2012 at 08:42 AM.. Reason: referenced a now edited posting

Old 02-08-2012, 11:54 PM

30,860 posts, read 36,775,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dclamb3 View Post
Truth! This is the best thing I've read all day.
Every once in a while highnlite says something I can completely agree with .

Old 02-09-2012, 10:33 AM

653 posts, read 941,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
LOL! And you're a big person for admitting that.

Old 02-09-2012, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
You are learning, anyone can disagree with me, and they are always wrong. Once one becomes accustomed to that, all their dreams will come true.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California