Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2012, 10:37 AM

1,370 posts, read 2,175,678 times

Advertisements

I hate to break this to you, but you can't just decide to move from the U.K. to the United States. "In general, to be eligible to apply for an immigrant visa, a foreign citizen must be sponsored by a U.S. citizen relative(s), U.S. lawful permanent resident, or by a prospective employer . . . " You can't even visit for longer than 90 days without a visa, and that is under the Visa Waiver Program. It's all very complicated and I'm not an expert on it by any means, but since I belong to other travel forums, I see this question come up often, and know that you must have a job offer from a company in the United States who will sponsor you, you can't just move here and look for a job. If you come visit under the Visa Waiver Program, you cannot legally work.

Anyway, you should start reading here: Visa Types for Immigrants and you might want to peruse this website for expats: Moving To The USA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2012, 04:21 PM

8 posts, read 18,970 times
thanks for that, shouldnt be too much of a problem if i can find a job in chiropody, maybe fate will decide which state i move to then. ill sort it out, where there is a will, there is a way

Old 02-07-2012, 05:11 PM

1,651 posts, read 3,689,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by richmoylan View Post
thanks for that, shouldnt be too much of a problem if i can find a job in chiropody, maybe fate will decide which state i move to then. ill sort it out, where there is a will, there is a way
Actually, it's a huge problem. You can't get a visa unless you prove that you bring skills that are not being filled by local workers. With US unemployment continuing at near-record levels, there are a LOT of people in line ahead of you.

Old 02-08-2012, 08:38 AM

which i should, i have been assured by my college that my job is needed all over the world, like i said where theres a will theres a way i will be moving

Old 02-08-2012, 08:55 AM

1,651 posts, read 3,689,472 times
I wish you luck (but have a Plan B just in case!)

Old 02-08-2012, 12:53 PM

plan B is australia haha, thankyou

Old 02-08-2012, 01:12 PM

1,664 posts, read 3,946,724 times
[quote=richmoylan;22871562]hi everyone, new to this forum. basically i'm 19 years old i'm training to be a foot health practitioner[boring] and this year i'm going to save up as much money as i can, realistically by the time i move [2014]

First of all, perhaps you should find your true passion. Like the old saying, if you love what you do, then you will never worka day in your life! So examine what you would want your life's work to be,,,If foot health is "boring", it will be excruciating in sy 4 or 5 years. Rethink your priorities.

Yes, California is beautiful, great weather and has friendly people. BUT, grass isnt always greener as you will be a new poliwog in a large pond. It might behoove you to bring a friend or find some friends onlin in the area that you can have as a support group. Cold moving is a recipe for unhappiness and isolation. Research, research and more research of the place you may like. Check out all the things important to you and then study crime, demographics, cost-of- living, health care and the like.

And, you will need ever pound you have. Renting is expensive, first months rent , last months rent, cleaning deposits, etc. And you need to eat!

This Forum is good to get impressions but dont rely on it solely to make the leap. I wish you luck. I did the same thing a few years back and about to do it again..Its spooky , crazy and great FUN!

Old 02-08-2012, 01:15 PM

1,664 posts, read 3,946,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gone down south View Post
Actually, it's a huge problem. You can't get a visa unless you prove that you bring skills that are not being filled by local workers. With US unemployment continuing at near-record levels, there are a LOT of people in line ahead of you.
It doesnt seem like such a problem...everyone and his cousin "immigrates" across our borders from adjacent countries,,
Fly to Canada, walk across the border,,,its that easy..
The Feds dont seem to care.

I know i am being flippant, but, somedays the border situation seems that awful. Depressing it is.

Old 04-24-2012, 09:28 AM

1 posts, read 919 times
I am also curious about the spiders in southern california, specifically San diego and los angeles (I am from upstate new york). How often does one come in contact with spiders? are there areas that do not have as many spiders as others? Thanks =)

Old 04-24-2012, 10:04 AM

5,888 posts, read 12,969,894 times
Huntington Beach and Costa Mesa are the more affordable Beach Cities, both cities are very safe, but do have some areas that are best to stay away from.

Being 19, you will probably not be able to get into any bars and clubs.
I had no problem making new friends after moving out here from NY. Get involved in activities (and there are a lot of them)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California