Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2012, 11:19 PM

4,254 posts, read 5,586,510 times

Advertisements

Among the many hidden jewels of rural northern California - increasingly known as the "state of Jefferson" by the locals - is an obscure Orthodox Christian monastery near the old mining village of Platina, approximately 45 miles west of Red Bluff on Highway 36. St. Herman of Alaska Monastery was co-founded in 1963 by Fr. Seraphim Rose, formerly Eugene Rose, a bright young Californian with a graduate degree in Mandarin Chinese. The Orthodoxy embraced by Fr. Serpahim was of the old-calendar Russian variety: highly ascetic, deeply mystical, fiercely anti-modern, and rooted in the traditions of eastern Christianity.

I've visited the monastery twice. The conditions are primitive. One has to work to do everything, as though camping but with a few conveniences. I had to walk up a steep hill from my little cabin just to brush my teeth. There are few mirrors, and the monks have towels draped over them so as to avoid the sin of vanity. There was no electricity, so after dark I had to light a kerosene lamp in the communal dining room just to read a book. On my last visit it was Holy Week, which is the most rigorous time of year in terms of fasting and praying. The monks were in the chapel seven hours per day, and through the night, prostrating themselves constantly. No food was taken before 3:00pm, and even then it was a meagre portion. I lasted only a few days, physically exhausted but in awe at the stamina of the monks.

The young Eugene Rose was a sinner, and not a small one, and so the new Fr. Serpahim would embark upon a difficult life of asceticism and renunciation in order to purify his life for the Christ who saved him. The ethos of the monastery reflects this concern for holiness. He is buried there, and his grave has become a pilgrimage destination for many who seek his intercession. Here's a fitting photo montage of the hermitage.

Saint Herman of Alaska Monastery - Platina, California - YouTube
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2012, 08:01 AM

6,390 posts, read 9,637,694 times
We lived just like that when we were hippies in college, I am glad to see that the counter culture is alive and well in northern California

Old 02-09-2012, 12:31 PM

9,519 posts, read 14,668,755 times
It is, but NOBODY, and I mean NOBODY, here buys into that "State of Jefferson"" BS. That's for folks from SoCal. Interesting pix!

Old 02-09-2012, 12:44 PM

7,150 posts, read 10,847,978 times
Lmao! Funny funny funny
Cool thread. Thanks Pilgrim. Interesting piece of California minutiae.
But what's funny about it, besides interesting -- and beside the fact it is yet another religious topic opportunity from the Pilgrim -- is that this physically austere lifestyle is pretty close to how I continue to live personally (without the beard!) -- but I do it for the love of simplicity and the pleasure of physically interacting with nature intimately -- and with appreciation for leaving the environment as untouched by me as reasonably possible so as to leave as much as possible behind for others to enjoy.

For this I am ridiculed by some, including the Pilgrim. Silly me, concerned with simplicities and honor for Mother Nature. One of Pilgrim's compadres in recent posts even ridiculed me by using the term "pathetic" in describing my lifestyle.

Now come monks who live in physically simplistic austerity ... and because they do it in penitence for their guilt over 'original sin', they are to be admired.

Oh I see.
Do it for joyful love of life: you are ridiculous.
Do it to express remorse for the wickedness of mankind's nature: you are wondrous.

Last edited by nullgeo; 02-09-2012 at 12:54 PM..

Old 02-09-2012, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eureka1 View Post
It is, but NOBODY, and I mean NOBODY, here buys into that "State of Jefferson"" BS. That's for folks from SoCal. Interesting pix!
You're in Humbolt County, which is aberrant in some ways for this region. Jeffersonians are all over Tehama, Shasta, Trinity and Siskiyou counties.

Old 02-09-2012, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nullgeo View Post
But what's funny about it, besides interesting -- and beside the fact it is yet another religious topic opportunity from the Pilgrim -- is that this physically austere lifestyle is pretty close to how I continue to live personally (without the beard!) -- but I do it for the love of simplicity yada yada yada it's all about Nullgeo....
You flatter yourself. As usual.

Old 02-09-2012, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WesternPilgrim View Post
Jeffersonians are all over Tehama, Shasta, Trinity and Siskiyou counties.

Old 02-09-2012, 05:20 PM

7,150 posts, read 10,847,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WesternPilgrim View Post
You flatter yourself. As usual.
Silly Pilgrim No, it's not a bit 'all about nullgeo' ... it's about your repetitive and hypocritical Catholic-theme posts. nullgeo just happens to be a perfect example of your hypocrisies.

As I said: great little piece of California minutiae. Interesting. And a great example of the hypocrisies found in many of your posts. In this case, trying to showcase austere aesthetics while elsewhere ridiculing others who live similarly in joyousness rather than in religious penitence. Another prime example of how you define the world and demand others subscribe to your view as the basis for all discussion.

Old 02-09-2012, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nullgeo View Post
Silly Pilgrim No, it's not a bit 'all about nullgeo' ... it's about your repetitive and hypocritical Catholic-theme posts. nullgeo just happens to be a perfect example of your hypocrisies.

As I said: great little piece of California minutiae. Interesting. And a great example of the hypocrisies found in many of your posts. In this case, trying to showcase austere aesthetics while elsewhere ridiculing others who live similarly in joyousness rather than in religious penitence. Another prime example of how you define the world and demand others subscribe to your view as the basis for all discussion.
Um, looks like you missed the fact that this monastery is not Catholic.

As for my ridiculing your lifestyle or others who choose austerities for non-religious reasons, I have absolutely no idea what you're talking about. Perhaps you have me confused with someone else? I've never commented on your lifestyle, and why would I? You're just some guy on the internet who hates God and religion and turns every topic into a discussion about .... himself.

Brian Reagan - The Me Monster - YouTube

Old 02-09-2012, 05:58 PM

I wish I had my photos of the VW microbus, fetch water from the flume, no door on the outhouse heat and cook over a wood stove digital, I could show you a photo of my old bud, he looked exactly like a monk, Rasputin to be exact.

We lived a monastic life, aside from the young ladies that loved to come out to "rough it"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California