Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-10-2012, 01:14 AM

4,254 posts, read 5,580,494 times

Advertisements

Santa Barbara, California, is named for the 4th century virgin and martyr who was beheaded by her own father for her unflinching adherence to the Christian faith. St. Barbara is not only the patroness of the city of Santa Barbara, but is also called upon as protectress against sudden and unnatural death, artillery fire, and accidents. (That's why the powder or artillery room on a ship is traditionally called the "saint barbara".)

Interestingly, Santa Barbara, California is the only place in the continental United States to have been fired upon by a foreign nation since the War of 1812. Two dozen shells were unloaded onto Ellwood Beach during WW-II, fired from a Japanese submarine. Nothing substantial was damaged, and there were no casualties.

The veneration of relics is an ancient tradition whereby the Christian faithful give honor to a saint who has pleased God by living a life of heroic virtue. Typically, the saint is also called upon for spiritual assistance, which means that the saint is asked to pray to God for some special intention.

The relics of Saint Barbara can be venerated in four locations in the Santa Barbara region.

1. Santa Barbara Mission Archive-Library. The relic is contained in a large medallion on the torso of a reliquary bust of St. Barbara. The bust is said to have been created in early 17th century Spain.

2. Santa Barbara Greek Orthodox Church. This is a bone fragment of the saint brought to the United States by Pope John Paul II in 1987. The relic was ceremonially transferred as a special gift to the Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of North and South America.

3. St. Barbara Orthodox Monastery. Founded in the city of Santa Barbara, the nuns relocated to Santa Paula in 2005. I visited this site some years ago, and if I remember correctly the relic is embedded in an icon of St. Barbara.

4. Casa del Herrero. This relic is a piece of cloth from St. Barbara's gown. It is contained in the reliquary of a 17th century Italian bust of St. Barbara made of wood and painted in gold.

Last edited by WesternPilgrim; 02-10-2012 at 01:44 AM..
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2012, 01:27 AM

7,150 posts, read 10,833,676 times
Welcome all to CDF: Catholic Data Forum, moderated by Western Pilgrim

Old 02-10-2012, 02:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nullgeo View Post
Non-Catholics and others should also find this subject valuable. Historians, sociologists, anthropologists, artists, etc.

Or just ordinary Californians who want to know something about a popular California city.

Certainly there are Catholic readers of City-Data who might find this information useful. Is it not legitimate to post on topics of interest to them?

You know, the Calfornia forum does have an actual moderator. I think his screen name is NewToCa. Why don't you complain to him?

Last edited by WesternPilgrim; 02-10-2012 at 03:07 AM..

Old 02-10-2012, 06:40 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,301,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nullgeo View Post
And by all means, lose no opportunity to disparage and denigrate people of faith. That's real attractive. What are you afraid of?

Old 02-10-2012, 11:41 AM

1,664 posts, read 3,938,650 times
I find this all very interesting! I had no idea there were actual relics in Santa Barbara. Kinda cool! I will put the places on my list of things to see next time i am in SB.

As the Duke would have said,,"You rock , Pilgrim!"

Old 02-10-2012, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Trails View Post
I find this all very interesting! I had no idea there were actual relics in Santa Barbara. Kinda cool! I will put the places on my list of things to see next time i am in SB.

As the Duke would have said,,"You rock , Pilgrim!"
Glad you liked it, Dean!

Old 02-10-2012, 12:13 PM

7,150 posts, read 10,833,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WesternPilgrim View Post
Non-Catholics and others should also find this subject valuable. Historians, sociologists, anthropologists, artists, etc.

Or just ordinary Californians who want to know something about a popular California city.

Certainly there are Catholic readers of City-Data who might find this information useful. Is it not legitimate to post on topics of interest to them?

You know, the Calfornia forum does have an actual moderator. I think his screen name is NewToCa. Why don't you complain to him?
Did I complain or denigrate? Nope. Even note the smiley face I put on my comment ... made in perfectly good humor.

The topic IS interesting to folks curious about California history ... same as the thread about the monastery, as I also noted in that case. I do find your obsession with religious posts somewhat humorous, though.

There is another contributor to cdf who is obsessed with cities and shopping malls ... every thread and post is about development of urban areas in rural areas -- especially shopping malls. I find that also very amusing. But I don't usually have any response -- because he never attempts to preach morality or draw bigoted conclusions in his posts, as you often do. We'll see.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
And by all means, lose no opportunity to disparage and denigrate people of faith. That's real attractive. What are you afraid of?
Read the above , Chief. Not a disparagement or denigration in sight. Touchy much, yourself?

Old 02-10-2012, 12:40 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,752,846 times
Why would non-Catholics have the slightest interest in questionable bits of old bone and cloth?

http://www.city-data.com/forum/christianity/

Old 02-10-2012, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
Why would non-Catholics have the slightest interest in questionable bits of old bone and cloth?
Why don't you ask the non-Catholic stewards at the three non-Catholic Santa Barbara locations which preserve them?

Old 02-10-2012, 12:49 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,752,846 times
Are they volunteers?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California