U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 02-10-2012, 08:53 AM

6 posts, read 9,930 times
Default International Student - SDSU or UCSB ?

Hello!
Im going to spend a semester in the states (fall 2012) and have to decide between SDSU and UCSB. Im studying biochemistry (undergraduate) and im 22.
So i know the UC is the better college respective the academic side. But thats not soo important to me, because for this semester im searching for the best overall experience.

So what about the social life?
In Isla vista living only students whats probably quite great. What about SD? I'd like to live near the beach. Is pacific/mission beach also full of students or dont you find this feeling there but only near the college?
Which city has to offer more in all?
What about the night life? I like to partying but not so much expensive clubs with dresscode and so. I think nevertheless SD has more opportunities but i would also like these typical house parties; clubs and bars are also in germany I think SB is the better place for that and i heared that in SD its difficult to get into such a party if youre a guy and no frat member. is it the truth or are there even open house parties?

so what du you think, where can i have the better time?
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2012, 09:04 AM

12,396 posts, read 13,409,679 times
Santa Barbara is FAR smaller than UCSB.. I mean UCSB is OK, but it isn't one of the elite UC's. It is below UCB, UCD, UCLA, UCSD, and possibly even UCR/UCI these days.
Now if you were in Graduate school, I'd say it matters much more... but I don't think the gap is THAT big this time, as SDSU is one of the better Cal States.
San Diego has way more to offer than Santa Barbara.

Old 02-10-2012, 10:05 AM

8,713 posts, read 4,834,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
Santa Barbara is FAR smaller than UCSB.. I mean UCSB is OK, but it isn't one of the elite UC's. It is below UCB, UCD, UCLA, UCSD, and possibly even UCR/UCI these days.
Now if you were in Graduate school, I'd say it matters much more... but I don't think the gap is THAT big this time, as SDSU is one of the better Cal States.
San Diego has way more to offer than Santa Barbara.
Hmm I'm pretty sure UCSB is the better school but you are right SD State is one of the better state schools.

San Diego does have more to offer than Santa Barbara - but UCSB is actually north in Isla Vista (seems like the OP knows this). Isla Vista is a pretty unique place - tons of partying. I went to school in Ventura County and we were always making weekend trip to visit our friends in IV.

I had a bunch of friends go to SD State and still live in the area, they loved it.

Basically you can't go wrong with either of these choices.

Old 02-10-2012, 10:18 AM

12,396 posts, read 13,409,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post
Hmm I'm pretty sure UCSB is the better school but you are right SD State is one of the better state schools.

San Diego does have more to offer than Santa Barbara - but UCSB is actually north in Isla Vista (seems like the OP knows this). Isla Vista is a pretty unique place - tons of partying. I went to school in Ventura County and we were always making weekend trip to visit our friends in IV.

I had a bunch of friends go to SD State and still live in the area, they loved it.

Basically you can't go wrong with either of these choices.
Yeah, UCSB is definitely the better school. But it is not the margin he would get if his options were UCB or UCLA for instance. I think there is more to do in San Diego and SDState is certainly not a bad school or anything, I'd probably go there if those were my only options. An even better option might be UCSD... best of both worlds?

Old 02-10-2012, 10:34 AM

5,195 posts, read 5,517,063 times
for Bio chemistry I would look into UCI. Which is right on the Newport Beach Border.
Of your two original choices, Santa Barbara is very nice, but you will find a lot more to do in San Diego

Old 02-10-2012, 10:42 AM

UCSD is too expensice..
thats a point in general, UCSB would be more expensive (but only just possible). Even if it does matter to me, I dont think that the difference of academic quality alone is it worth to pay much more (its only one semester, i don't get a graduation!).
Because of that I want to base my decision on the social factor. Is this "college experience" quite similar in both opportunities? If its lots better at UCSB maybe the pros are enough to make the higher payment :/

Old 02-10-2012, 10:46 AM

I will take a look on UCI but I dont know if there's a real chance because as far as i know there is no partnership/connection/whatever to this school..

Old 02-10-2012, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luke1990 View Post
UCSD is too expensice..
thats a point in general, UCSB would be more expensive (but only just possible). Even if it does matter to me, I dont think that the difference of academic quality alone is it worth to pay much more (its only one semester, i don't get a graduation!).
Because of that I want to base my decision on the social factor. Is this "college experience" quite similar in both opportunities? If its lots better at UCSB maybe the pros are enough to make the higher payment :/
Both schools are known as party schools, I didn't go to either but socially they are on par with each other. Like grapico said, they are both good schools, and since it is only a semester I think you should just look into Santa Barbara vs. San Diego. Santa Barbara is a great city and very fun considering its small size, but it is also slightly isolated (you can take Amtrak to LA though). Overall there is more to do in SD but both college areas have a surfery - party school vibe (without sacrificing academics, some of the smartest people I know went to these schools).

Old 02-10-2012, 03:10 PM

1,108 posts, read 769,358 times
Isla Vista (IV) would be an awesome place to spend a semester. You can bike everywhere and everyone's a college student having a good time - lots of partying, super mellow and fun. When I was 21, I preferred the vibe there to San Diego by a good margin.

That said, San Diego is much bigger with a much broader range of neighborhoods. IV has the City of Santa Barbara nearby too, but it's not nearly as big as SD (although with a very nice downtown).

Long story short - I'd go with IV myself. It would be a cool and unique place to spend a semester, and I'm pretty sure you'll have a good time.

Old 02-10-2012, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by orzo View Post
Isla Vista (IV) would be an awesome place to spend a semester. You can bike everywhere and everyone's a college student having a good time - lots of partying, super mellow and fun. When I was 21, I preferred the vibe there to San Diego by a good margin.

That said, San Diego is much bigger with a much broader range of neighborhoods. IV has the City of Santa Barbara nearby too, but it's not nearly as big as SD (although with a very nice downtown).

Long story short - I'd go with IV myself. It would be a cool and unique place to spend a semester, and I'm pretty sure you'll have a good time.
I forgot about the bikes... the amount of bicycles blew my mind the first time I visited the campus.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California