Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2012, 11:59 AM

7,150 posts, read 10,854,602 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by user_id View Post
Yes, but the US was running a high trade deficit with China 5 years ago, even higher than today in fact. The unemployment rate is only a factor because the trade deficit, if trade was balanced the contract going to the Chinese wouldn't matter even if the unemployment was high.
You can't handle it when someone doesn't argue with you, can you? I note you insert the word "but" immediately after "yes" in an effort to draw a line in the sand. Not going to work, user!

And then you resort to the word "if"! You cad! You nearly have me pulling out my slapping gloves! ... but no go this time

I will, however, leave you with one of my favorite homilies:
"IF'n a toad had wings: he wouldn't bump his arse every time he jumped ..."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2012, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueTimbers View Post
I will have to look that up... I personally find it disturbing.. Yes, I will admit I am not much of a "free trade" person... We lost that one and it is rotting America from the inside out... Little is made here anymore... I am sceptical anyone but bankers and fat cat mega national corporations are the only ones benefiting on any "trade" we do with China.. It sure don't benefit that construction worker, that has a union job, and can actually support a family with a living wage...

Selling computer chips to china that are made on automatic machine lines is not the same as supporting "core" American industry such as bridge building...

I consider a bridge core to national security and should not be outsourced..
Just IMO..
Yes, True: the ones who truly benefit the most are the Big Boys ... but when has that ever been different? America isn't "rotting" it's evolving along with the rest of the world in patterns set by the Big Boys ... yeah? so?

So, China has 1.3 billion people that need something to do just like the U.S. 330 million ... and the whole world's 7 billion, for that matter. They're all people who laugh and cry and smile and frown and love and feel anxiety for their families ... just, at this time, many Chinese are still willing to polish steel for $12 a day just to put food on their tables ... just like some Mexicans are willing to work long, arduous hours in hot fields doing labor that virtually no Americans are willing -- nor in condition -- to do.

There is no more America and China in terms of business anymore ... it's all one in the same ... right or wrong, good or bad: it is what it is. There are only cultural traditions and attitudes left -- not business barriers.

And neither you nor I are gonna get any piece of the Big Pie. So go fishing and eat your trout ... tastes great in the morning over a campfire

Old 02-12-2012, 12:26 PM

1,981 posts, read 3,140,598 times
Indeed Nullgeo.......

... Money.. a distraction from the important things in life..

Thanks for the reminder...

Old 02-12-2012, 12:27 PM

12,460 posts, read 20,018,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nullgeo View Post
You can't handle it when someone doesn't argue with you, can you?
I can handle it just fine, I was merely pointing out that the unemployment rate isn't the critical issue here. That, I believe, is an important conceptual point.

Old 02-12-2012, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don9 View Post
You do realize that was nothing but a lie. Obama will go down in history as the lying President. Straight faced bold lies ... time after time. He has lost all credibility with the people.
Oh really......

Tell us how you would solve the issue of global economic downturn then...

Old 02-12-2012, 12:46 PM

12,460 posts, read 20,018,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nullgeo View Post
There are only cultural traditions and attitudes left -- not business barriers.
There are still major business barriers, for example China limits the activity of foreign businesses within China all the time. Japan has never been very open, etc. And this is why there is a large trade deficit... While Americans support "free trade" other nations support "do what benefits our nation" and Americans are now left with pie on their face....

But there is little that can be done at this point, its not "half time in America"...its the final ending and Americans will just need to adjust to a slowly reduced standard of living.

Old 02-12-2012, 12:48 PM

Quote:
I can handle it just fine, I was merely pointing out that the unemployment rate isn't the critical issue here. That, I believe, is an important conceptual point.
Again, no argument ... BUT (your favorite word), the unemployment rate is the perceptual lever for freaking out (without researching and thinking it through).

Old 02-12-2012, 12:53 PM

Quote:
There are still major business barriers, for example China limits the activity of foreign businesses within China all the time. Japan has never been very open, etc. And this is why there is a large trade deficit... While Americans support "free trade" other nations support "do what benefits our nation" and Americans are now left with pie on their face....

But there is little that can be done at this point, its not "half time in America"...its the final ending and Americans will just need to adjust to a slowly reduced standard of living.
Again, you may as well argue with your fence ... you are essentially correct in this ... BUT (again!), those business barriers you cite are completely -- umm, shall we use the funny word here -- 'fungible' in China. They are a VERY 'fungible' bunch of folks. Business peoples get together in huddles over there all the time with business Big Boys from here ... and the plays they come up with create new rules as fast as -- well, as fast as fungible fungus grows on a damp forest floor.

Back to trout for breakfast

Old 02-12-2012, 02:37 PM

Yes the trout is good... But I do feel it is fair for us "commoners" to sit by the camp fire and chew the fat, on these things.... I am a hopeless optimist... I still feel we can make changes to the system....

Ya know what they say... Change is inevitable...

Old 02-12-2012, 04:22 PM

6,390 posts, read 9,643,913 times
So, speaking of trout, last spring I was on a wilderness river supporting a work project. I saw tons of large 12+ trout. So, guess where you will find me this weekend............ I really don't like fishing, but I do like eating trout......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California