Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2012, 02:08 PM

124 posts, read 333,123 times

Advertisements

Moving to Orange County soon, have a daughter who wants to move to LA.

What do you feel are the major differences between the two counties?

Are the people who live in each area different? I've heard Orange is very conservative and LA is more liberal.

Weather?

Beaches?

Schools?

Shopping?

Neighborhoods?

Etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2012, 02:53 PM

26,338 posts, read 93,414,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movestoomuch View Post
Moving to Orange County soon, have a daughter who wants to move to LA.
Where will you be working? [Here it comes..."We work at home...."]

Freeways are better in OC

Much of OC is new, developed after the 1960s, seems a little more planned out.

Weather not much different. The differences lie coastal compared to inland mostly.

Schools vary more with demographics in both counties.

There is every kind of neighborhood in both counties.

Orange County has more Stanley Cup victories than Los Angeles county does.

Old 02-11-2012, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Where will you be working? [Here it comes..."We work at home...."]

Freeways are better in OC

Much of OC is new, developed after the 1960s, seems a little more planned out.

Weather not much different. The differences lie coastal compared to inland mostly.

Schools vary more with demographics in both counties.

There is every kind of neighborhood in both counties.

Orange County has more Stanley Cup victories than Los Angeles county does.
My husband will be working as a CMO near the John Wayne Airport. His office is in Irvine. I do not have a job lined up in OC yet but the majority of 'work' I do is volunteer.

My daughter will be living with us when she graduates from college in May. She's interested in working in the entertainment industry. (Her degree is a double major in Broadcast Journalism/Communications, and a minor in Spanish.)

I asked because when we went house shopping in OC I was not impressed with the area. It LOOKS as if everything was built in the 1960's. Grant it, I am coming a new area of Nashville where things are still being built and it's pretty much going through a boom at this time.

I'm curious as to the vibe in each area. At this time I'm leaning more toward Laguna Beach but my pocketbook and eyes like the housing more in Coto. Ha ha ha. LA seems to be more laid back and liberal. Nashville is VERY liberal and laid back.

Why did you think we worked from home? Do many people in Irvine - Orange County do so?

Old 02-11-2012, 03:16 PM

26,338 posts, read 93,414,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movestoomuch View Post
My husband will be working as a CMO near the John Wayne Airport.

Why did you think we worked from home? Do many people in Irvine - Orange County do so?
You have lots of options from near the beach (Long Beach, Seal Beach, Huntington Beach, etc) to older inland to newer inland.

The reason I asked is because it sounded as if you could pick were to live in either county and location wasn't that important.

Can you tell the forum what type of housing you are looking for? Renting or buying? Budget? Empty nesters in a couple years? Suburbia? Dense neighborhoods with lots of activity? Quite with lots of kids? SFR? Condo?

etc?

Also realize many neighorhoods built after the 1990s have both HOA and Mello Roos (an extra property type tax)

Old 02-11-2012, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
You have lots of options from near the beach (Long Beach, Seal Beach, Huntington Beach, etc) to older inland to newer inland.

The reason I asked is because it sounded as if you could pick were to live in either county and location wasn't that important.

Can you tell the forum what type of housing you are looking for? Renting or buying? Budget? Empty nesters in a couple years? Suburbia? Dense neighborhoods with lots of activity? Quite with lots of kids? SFR? Condo?

etc?

Also realize many neighorhoods built after the 1990s have both HOA and Mello Roos (an extra property type tax)
We were looking at single family housing. We 'had' a budget of 850K and that went right out the window after seeing what 850K would buy us -- not much...

So we upped the anty to a little over a million. I'm not sure I can buy a house that needs a LOT of work for a mil. It just seems wrong...

Other than my daughter we are empty nesters, but we've already downsized to 5000 square feet (no basement but a 4 car gargage) and downsizing again will be painful. It's an obvious must - I get it - I see it there. But even after researching for months and reading about it for years and seeing it with my own 2 eyes -- I guess I just didn't want to believe it!
I know about the mellos roos. And I'm on my HOA.
Thanks again for the info.

Old 02-11-2012, 03:52 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,757,112 times
Her minor in Spanish will come in handy, just as long as she knows she'll get some quizzical looks from our local Spanish speakers if she lays too much Castilian on them.

Old 02-11-2012, 04:13 PM

5,113 posts, read 19,683,410 times
For that price and that square footage you should do fine in Temecula.

Old 02-11-2012, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
Her minor in Spanish will come in handy, just as long as she knows she'll get some quizzical looks from our local Spanish speakers if she lays too much Castilian on them.
Ha ha ha. She was brought up in Scottsdale, AZ and goes to school in Miami. So the whole Spanish thing is a no brainer.
Are you from Kentucky?

Old 02-11-2012, 04:57 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,757,112 times
Look below the Fontucky.

Fontucky is a slur for the city in which I live, Fontana.

Old 02-11-2012, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
Look below the Fontucky.

Fontucky is a slur for the city in which I live, Fontana.
Oh. I don't really have a witty comeback for that...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California