Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2012, 07:25 PM

1,320 posts, read 2,684,823 times

Advertisements

Are any of my fellow CD forum members adult students in the UC or Cal State system? Can anyone tell me if it is fairly common for grown adults (think age 40 and older) to be taking courses and completing undergraduate degrees, esp. in the UC system.I am 50, and have begun taking college courses at a local community college where I live in PA. We are thinking about relocating to CA. If we did, I certainly don't plan to stop working towards a degree. Languages seem to be a natural for me, so I have taken Italian and Spanish. I would like to pursue both, if possible. It seems that only the UC system offers Italian. If I was younger, I would study how we physically and mentally learn languages. I also love the natural world, and would like to study biology, botany or earth science. I have a 2 year degree in accounting, but never really liked it. I got A's in it, but would only continue to pursue this as a last resort. I include it because it seems that brochures aimed at older students always seem to steer them to business courses and maybe nursing.

I need to add that I stress day classes because it is difficult for me to drive at night. I can't see well at night to drive. If it is local and there is good lighting, then I am able to get by unless it is raining.

How are older students viewed or treated on campus? Are there lots of us as day students, or will I stick out like a sore thumb?I also don't see many older students in the day classes I attend, which is understandable. I realize that these are broad questions, and maybe can't be answered very easily. Still, I have to ask. Sometimes I feel so out of place. I am guessing that with the economy the way it is, many adults have probably chosen to return to school to aquire or update skills. Is that correct?

I realize that the schools all seem to have a non-discriminatory statement somewhere on their website. It is one thing for a school to say that they don't discriminate, but I wonder if they actually practice what they preach. If I sound leery, it is because I have had an instructor or two that has acted quite differently toward the older students, as if we didn't matter. One even asked (quite sarcastically) an adult student what was she going to be doing with anthropology.

I ask about the UC system because it seems they offer courses that the Cal State system doesn't. My other love is the Italian language. I have found it offered in the UC system, but don't recall seeing it in the Cal State system. I find myself looking for courses in Italian.

If nothing else, I want to just pursue at least one academic dream, however foolish it may seem. One such dream is to major in Italian, however silly that may seem.

I have more to add, but must end now.

Last edited by katnip kid; 02-11-2012 at 07:27 PM.. Reason: correction
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2012, 08:45 PM

1,179 posts, read 3,794,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katnip kid View Post
Are any of my fellow CD forum members adult students in the UC or Cal State system? Can anyone tell me if it is fairly common for grown adults (think age 40 and older) to be taking courses and completing undergraduate degrees, esp. in the UC system.I am 50, and have begun taking college courses at a local community college where I live in PA. We are thinking about relocating to CA. If we did, I certainly don't plan to stop working towards a degree. Languages seem to be a natural for me, so I have taken Italian and Spanish. I would like to pursue both, if possible. It seems that only the UC system offers Italian. If I was younger, I would study how we physically and mentally learn languages. I also love the natural world, and would like to study biology, botany or earth science. I have a 2 year degree in accounting, but never really liked it. I got A's in it, but would only continue to pursue this as a last resort. I include it because it seems that brochures aimed at older students always seem to steer them to business courses and maybe nursing.

I need to add that I stress day classes because it is difficult for me to drive at night. I can't see well at night to drive. If it is local and there is good lighting, then I am able to get by unless it is raining.

How are older students viewed or treated on campus? Are there lots of us as day students, or will I stick out like a sore thumb?I also don't see many older students in the day classes I attend, which is understandable. I realize that these are broad questions, and maybe can't be answered very easily. Still, I have to ask. Sometimes I feel so out of place. I am guessing that with the economy the way it is, many adults have probably chosen to return to school to aquire or update skills. Is that correct?

I realize that the schools all seem to have a non-discriminatory statement somewhere on their website. It is one thing for a school to say that they don't discriminate, but I wonder if they actually practice what they preach. If I sound leery, it is because I have had an instructor or two that has acted quite differently toward the older students, as if we didn't matter. One even asked (quite sarcastically) an adult student what was she going to be doing with anthropology.

I ask about the UC system because it seems they offer courses that the Cal State system doesn't. My other love is the Italian language. I have found it offered in the UC system, but don't recall seeing it in the Cal State system. I find myself looking for courses in Italian.

If nothing else, I want to just pursue at least one academic dream, however foolish it may seem. One such dream is to major in Italian, however silly that may seem.

I have more to add, but must end now.

I think it's great you are working toward a degree. I'm close in age to you, and doing the same thing. I've had a different experience here in California with the community college I've been attending. All the professors seem to love the adult students. There are a lot of us, and we take our studies seriously, which they seem to like.
I can't help with the UC/CSU question, but I'd love to know the answer as well. It's funny, I sent an email a year or so ago to the Office of the President of UC system asking where I could find the data for which of the UC campuses have the most non-traditional students, or even a breakdown of students by age group. The answer I received was that they don't keep track of that information. With all the talk of universities wanting to be more diverse, I found that odd.
I love your choices of majors by the way. I am almost done with Environmental Studies (continuing to Environmental Science or Natural Resources), mostly because I couldn't decide between Geology/Biology/Botany, and those have a little bit of all 3.
Good luck to you.

Old 02-11-2012, 09:52 PM

314 posts, read 482,905 times
I think in general, we Californians (or atleast the northern schools) don't care as much. You will be welcomed. The one difference is that you will be at a different place then where they are at (in a more metaphysical sense) than they are. I transfered to Davis and was there for three years. I was 21 so even though I would be considered a traditional student, I have some insight on this. At UC Davis, while pretty much all of my friends were Undergrads and Grad Students from 18-26ish, people dont hate on anyone. Rather it is admirable that you have a plan and know what you want to do. Take the community college courses (or better yet, wait a year to gain residency to pay in-state tuition) and then write about your decision on the personal statement. UC's have adopted Holistic Review that takes life experience into account (it also is a fair way of allowing disadvantaged students from not having a to rely on test schools and a fair compromise in the AA debate-there sorry I brought it up).

I live in the Bay and I know UC Berkeley has a fair number of non-traditional students and I know for a fact that if you got in, it would be a good fit.

Old 02-11-2012, 10:14 PM

Yes, I will be in a different place, most definately. Believe me, I am eternally greatful for this. When I was younger (early 20's) I did try to attend college, but I was not ready academically, and had some issues to deal with. As a mature adult, I have much different priorities. Plus, I don't quit, I try harder.

Old 02-11-2012, 11:20 PM

1,370 posts, read 2,171,713 times
It's been a number of years since I took classes, but as an adult I attended both UC Riverside and Saddleback College, a community college in Mission Viejo. I went through a certificate program at UCR, attended nights, and never felt out of place. The age range was from late teens on up, quite a mix of people - at the time I was in my mid-thirties, and never had any problems with fellow students or instructors in any way. I also took Beginning Italian for two semesters at Saddleback College in my early forties, also at night, and that mix was more younger students, but again, I didn't feel out of place at all, and loved my instructor, it was a lot of fun.

I wouldn't hesitate at all to take classes at a community college or pretty much anywhere there are classes I would like to take. Both my experiences were good ones and I learned a lot and furthered my career. It may be a different atmosphere during the day, I don't know, but you should definitely give it a try, don't let age stop you. Buona fortuna!

P.S. Here is Saddleback's website, it won't let me copy the Italian class schedule, but they do offer it still: http://www.saddleback.edu/cs/

Old 02-11-2012, 11:33 PM

314 posts, read 482,905 times
Oh I should also add that Community Colleges are full of non-traditional students and often they are the most motivated ones!

@C2ShiningC, Does Saddleback have any connection with the mega church of the same name?

Old 02-12-2012, 12:11 AM

7,373 posts, read 15,941,727 times
Katnip, why don't you find a way to do something in Italy, if the Italian language is your passion?
I don't know what your financial situation is, but there are courses you can take there and/or probably woofing opportunities. If you have teaching experience, you might be able to teach ESL there. If you have an Italian grandparent (born there), you may be able to obtain citizenship. I don't know what the rules are these days, but I think it used to be a possibility.

Old 02-12-2012, 12:17 AM

25,619 posts, read 36,512,231 times
My brother went back to college and received his Bachelors from a State UC last May. He is 42 and a PD Captain.

Old 02-12-2012, 12:29 AM

1,631 posts, read 2,365,623 times
I attended UCLA as a transfer student in the early 2000s. There were very few older students in my courses, which were generally in large lecture halls. I don't think people care if you are older. The UC schools enroll so many students, that you probably won't see the same students in other classes. People don't care how they perform against other students, unlike high school. They care more about their own grades. Professors generally teach the large lecture courses and the smaller classes are done with graduate students (late 20s-early 30s). Upper level classes are when you will have more 1on1 interaction with professors. That is where you need to focus your time on, especially if you need recommendations for graduate school or employment references. I suspect the problem older students would have trouble is the social aspect of student life like going out to parties, bars, dating and/or study groups.

Old 02-13-2012, 02:16 AM

Thank you to all who have responded. The responses are encouraging and informative!

I'm not concerned about the social aspect (dating, hanging out, etc). As an older student my priorities are far different. The concern is about being in class during the daytime. There surely will be an odd look or two, but so what. I try to remind myself it's me, the book, and the instructor. Study groups may be a problem, but this negative could be turned into a positive. There surely must be other older adult students. The way everything has gone cyber, maybe I could build a small group of us non-traditional students. If it turns out that I can't, then so be it, I study alone! I do better that way anyhow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California