Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2012, 11:44 PM

2,190 posts, read 6,835,918 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetsNY1986 View Post
Like I said, all I have right now is 5 grand to start this crazy charade.
Oh 5K? I thought you said 500.
Well, that's a good amount.
I sure wouldn't waste your funds on a hotel room.
Even a cheap one will be a real drain in a very short amount of time.
I'd find a room-mate situation in whatever community that you want to live in.
That's a lot more economical than living in a hotel / motel.
Even a cheap room (say $60 a night) will cost you close to 2K a month!
Whereas you can find a room-mate situation for as little as $400 a month (less or more depending).
I'd suggest finding a college / university town to live in.

Old 02-11-2012, 11:46 PM

52 posts, read 61,776 times
So maybe look on craigslist for a good, cheap situation, then fly out there?

Old 02-11-2012, 11:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
So no car? How do you plan on looking for work, then getting there?
God we sound like parents.
But yeah, mets ... find a community with good public transportation.

Old 02-11-2012, 11:49 PM

^^ That's what the plan is. Given all the details, should I go for it? Basically the plan is what I had stated a little bit ago.. not on the first post, minus the hotel and add a Roommate. I fail, I fly back. I'm starting to take this idea extremely seriously right now. But I need to figure out which area would be a good idea.

Old 02-11-2012, 11:50 PM

Quote:
So maybe look on craigslist for a good, cheap situation, then fly out there?
Again, fly out where?
And you won't be able to find a room until you get here.
It's doubtful that anyone will rent you a room without meeting you first and you do not want to give anyone money without first seeing a place and without a rental agreement.
Do you have a tent? Do you know how to camp? I'm serious.
Otherwise you will need to spend some money on a room and then find a room mate situation quick.

Old 02-11-2012, 11:54 PM

Stay in a cheap hotel for a few days while I meet someone I contacted on craigslist about a room situation, then leave it and move in that persons place. That's a good idea. And of course; I'd never send anyone money without first meeting them. And as for a tent. No I do not have one, but I could invest in one. I heard stories of people going to college while living in tents.. that's a crazy idea too.. haha

And as for flying out somewhere.. I REALLY want to do SoCal. Loved it more than the other places I was in across Cal.

Old 02-11-2012, 11:54 PM

Quote:
^^ That's what the plan is. Given all the details, should I go for it? Basically the plan is what I had stated a little bit ago.. not on the first post, minus the hotel and add a Roommate. I fail, I fly back. I'm starting to take this idea extremely seriously right now. But I need to figure out which area would be a good idea.
I prefer the central coast so i'm going to recommend either San Luis Obispo County or Santa Cruz County.
You may like S.C. county.
UCSC is here and Cabrillo College too.
There are lots of young people and lots of house-mate / room-mate situations.
Are you a liberal, open, tolerant kind of guy?

santa cruz co rooms & shares classifieds - craigslist

san luis obispo rooms & shares classifieds - craigslist

Old 02-11-2012, 11:56 PM

I'm tolerant. I just want to be successful. I don't hate any race, creed, or sexual affiliation.

Old 02-11-2012, 11:57 PM

Quote:
Stay in a cheap hotel for a few days while I meet someone I contacted on craigslist about a room situation, then leave it and move in that persons place. That's a good idea. And of course; I'd never send anyone money without first meeting them. And as for a tent. No I do not have one, but I could invest in one. I heard stories of people going to college while living in tents.. that's a crazy idea too.. haha

And as for flying out somewhere.. I REALLY want to do SoCal. Loved it more than the other places I was in across Cal.
I've spent lots of time in a tent between housing in S.C. county.
It's been a really dry winter so far and maybe it'll continue or maybe not.
Camping in heavy California rain is not fun so waiting until spring / summer is an option if you think it would be a good way to go.

Old 02-11-2012, 11:58 PM

Ideally I don't want to camp out; it's just like if I'm screwed over and I can't find a place, then that's a feasible option.

But if I really think about it.. I could go to college, work, live in the tent just temporarily to start out. That's a CRAZY idea, but hey.. if you have a dream.. you should do "Any means necessary"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California