Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2012, 08:26 AM

163 posts, read 375,654 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetsNY1986 View Post
You guys are probably going to think I'm borderline insane, but what I really want to do now is get a decent tent, and live in it in San Diego while attending college for four years. Right now I want to find like a forest or something that nobody will ever find me in or harm me in.. That's going to be a major difficulty. I can get settled in the tent, find a part time job, go to school, then after college I'll be set with my degree so I will no longer require the tent. I don't know. It sounds exciting in my head. I know what the hardships are but I'm willing to do it if the end result is a degree and success.

If I decide not to do that I'm thinking San Diego, find a roommate, part time job, school.

Either way I'm happy. What do you guys think? And yeah I know it's 4 AM but I'm thinking and it's hard to sleep. I'm probably going to fall asleep after I post this and read what you guys think when I wake.

Thanks so much for the feedback!
It sounds like you think getting out of where you're living now is an immediate need. Not that I know your situation. But I doubt that to be true. Unless you're living in constant poverty and danger (a notion challenged by the fact that you have internet access.) Whatever it is you think you absolutuely need to get away from, whatever problem you're facing right now, whatever hardship you're burdened with, it will all only be compounded by willingly becoming homeless. There ain't gold in them thar hills. You're discussing making a huge life decision, and furthermore, making it in a foolhardy way.

Old 02-12-2012, 08:43 AM

50,116 posts, read 46,724,808 times
Get a job at a chain that you can transfer even if it's a 7/11.

Old 02-12-2012, 11:18 AM

52 posts, read 61,776 times
I think that the best idea/possibility is to go to LA or San Diego one way. Get a cheap hotel for a few days, find a roommate online, meet him, rent from him and I'll have a few months to find a job. Or I could camp out before I find a job. I don't know. After seriously thinking and reading, it looks like my plan is 100% doable given the right mindset.

Old 02-12-2012, 11:19 AM

11,715 posts, read 40,361,816 times
Where do you plan on camping, in a park? In the middle of a freeway interchange?

Old 02-12-2012, 11:29 AM

14,044 posts, read 27,145,312 times
Quote:
I think that the best idea/possibility is to go to LA or San Diego one way. Get a cheap hotel for a few days, find a roommate online, meet him, rent from him and I'll have a few months to find a job. Or I could camp out before I find a job. I don't know. After seriously thinking and reading, it looks like my plan is 100% doable given the right mindset.
I'd say make a go of it, the roommate idea is feasible...not the tent.

Old 02-12-2012, 11:46 AM

^^^ Exactly. I think I'll be fine and successful. I loved LA a lot when I was there and I know my way around it, so should I go there instead of San Diego? How's the job outlook in San Diego? Thanks. I'm deciding which place to move to now.

Old 02-12-2012, 11:54 AM

14,044 posts, read 27,145,312 times
I'd go with the bigger job market, LA.

I have two sons who moved from back east to LA within the past decade, without jobs, and both are doing very well now.

Just do it.

Old 02-12-2012, 12:20 PM

Ok I'll give LA a shot. I loved it a lot when I was there. Thanks everyone, for helping! I'll be posting back in a few months to let you guys know if I succeeded or not.

Old 02-13-2012, 12:08 AM

30,873 posts, read 36,815,390 times
Quote:
Honestly I haven't been happy in years and that week I spent across that state was the best time of my life. I don't know if this is possible though. I DO have an opportunity to move in with my grandparents in Jacksonville, Florida.. while better, it's not where my heart is.
There's a BIG difference between going somewhere for a week on vacation and actually living there day in and day out. Two totally different things.

I'd say get your education as cheaply as possible and then come out here after that. It sounds like living with your grandparents in FL is the cheaper option. You'll likely have more options assuming you get a marketable college degree. It's not as fun, I know, but you'd be putting the odds in your favor to be in a much better position to actually live a decent life here if you came after college than if you come now.

Last edited by mysticaltyger; 02-13-2012 at 12:20 AM..

Old 02-13-2012, 12:11 AM

30,873 posts, read 36,815,390 times
Quote:
I have no idea if this idea is ridiculous or whatever.. but currently the best I could think of is the following:

1. Fly out there
2. Get a cheap hotel or something and live there for a week or two while I find a crappy job that can land me in a studio apartment
3. Do that for a year
4. Get in state tuition
You'll probably need 2 (and maybe 3) crappy jobs to pay for that studio apartment. Most people in your position would not get a studio apartment, but find roommates instead.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California