Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2012, 12:48 AM

7,372 posts, read 16,015,581 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nullgeo View Post
Snort! Where ever did you find that picture of T. "Bone" Arturian, the two-season-wonder defensive end for the 1979-81 seasons with the Houston Oilers?
2012 Winner of the Charles Manson Look-Alike Award.
Facial expression = "I'm confused by math".

Old 02-13-2012, 12:52 AM

7,150 posts, read 10,898,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snort View Post
2012 Winner of the Charles Manson Look-Alike Award.
Facial expression = "I'm confused by math".
T. "Bone" was confused by math ... the Oilers had to let him go because he kept insisting there were more than 11 offensive players allowed on the field of play ... thus he would tackle as many on the opposing bench as possible ... which led to a certain amount of disruption on the sidelines. He was brutal though. He could put a dozen guys across the Gatorade tables in a single down. I didn't know he had moved to Shasta. But it makes sense he would.

Old 02-13-2012, 01:07 AM

4,254 posts, read 5,606,632 times
Quote:
"Any dream" is not necessarily possible if one just works for it.
Bravo, Nullgeo. See, I knew we could find something to agree on!

But doesn't this violate an important tenet of liberalism's creed, that desire and will are supreme, and nothing ought to stand in their way (least of all nature itself)?

You know, like those bumper stickers say: "NO LIMITS".

Old 02-13-2012, 01:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WesternPilgrim View Post
Bravo, Nullgeo. See, I knew we could find something to agree on!

But doesn't this violate an important tenet of liberalism's creed, that desire and will are supreme, and nothing ought to stand in their way (least of all nature itself)?

You know, like those bumper stickers say: "NO LIMITS".
Gee, I wouldn't know ... not belonging to any group, including "liberals" (whatever they really are), I don't have any "creed" to adhere to. (Although I do admit to cringing every time I end a sentence with a preposition -- and I suppose that kinda puts me in a category with a creed ... you know: "Do no [grammatical] harm" and all that.) You clearly love to go around defining things for others as well as yourself. I fly by the seat of my pants, Pilgrim. For guidance I look to a-priori level revelations that come rather wordlessly from my heart. Some folks speak to a god. I go with my 'vibes'. So far I've never been arrested for anything and I'm guessing it all works.

Btw: I'm pretty sure there are other things you and I can agree on. For instance: you think Scranton, PA, is a good place for you to move. And I, having grown up not far from there in Philadelphia, and known people in Scranton, and having been to Scranton many times, also think it is a good place for you to leave California and move to. (Damn, did it again with the preposition!) I would love to think of you living there.

Old 02-13-2012, 08:36 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetsNY1986 View Post
Honestly I haven't been happy in years and that week I spent across that state was the best time of my life. I don't know if this is possible though. I DO have an opportunity to move in with my grandparents in Jacksonville, Florida.. while better, it's not where my heart is.
Visiting and vacationing for a week is not the same as living in a state. No one can tell you what would be the right course for you, but you will need a large amount of savings before you even think about the move. You will not be able to think about college or living on campus until you have established residency which takes a year. You will need a good job because of the cost of living. Now, with all that said, if you think you can make it give it a shot. I think you might be better off with your grandparents to tell you the truth.

Old 02-13-2012, 10:23 AM

4,254 posts, read 5,606,632 times
Quote:
I fly by the seat of my pants, Pilgrim ... Some folks speak to a god. I go with my 'vibes'.
Presumably you would approve of everyone else doing the same thing, no? - "flying by the seats of their pants", "going with their vibes", etc. Which is essentially the same as saying that desire and will are inviolable social principles.

Quote:
Btw: I'm pretty sure there are other things you and I can agree on. For instance: you think Scranton, PA, is a good place for you to move.
I've been to Scranton and generally loved it. Good, salt-of-the-earth people, if a bit on the grumpy side. It's very different there for a Californian, even a conservative Californian. They didn't laugh at my jokes in Scranton.

Anyway, thanks for the disinvitation. Though I find it rather intolerant of you. Diversity is our strength, Nullgeo. Life is short: don't be a hater.

Quote:
(Damn, did it again with the preposition!)
I'm tempted to quote Churchill's famous aphorism, but apparently it can't be traced to him.

Old 02-13-2012, 01:29 PM

9,519 posts, read 14,745,974 times
1. Forget the tent. It gets COLD put here, even in San Diego. Get roommates.
2. Forget Jacksonville. It's San Jose with palm trees and humidity. NO advantage over California.
Good luck. Sounds like you're gonna do what you're gonna do. I hope it works out for you.

Old 02-13-2012, 02:14 PM

1,651 posts, read 3,697,846 times
Quote:
Now then: how many young men every 13 years do you think desire to be one of those 5342 football players?
Bet its more than 5342.
Meaning a whole lotta young guys don't attain their dream, no matter how hard they try, believe, pray, work etc.

"Any dream" is not necessarily possible if one just works for it.

Oh come on, you're purposely misinterpreting the statement. You can't grow wings or turn purple just by working hard, and I as a 40-year-old man will never be a Playboy Centerfold either.

That's not to say this setting life goals and working towards them is a bad idea.

Old 02-13-2012, 02:20 PM

1,651 posts, read 3,697,846 times
To the OP - you're young, now's the time to go ahead and be a bit reckless. Have your adventures now before you get tied down by responsibilities. You'll only regret NOT going for it.

That said, you need to temper your enthusiasm by acknowledging realities. If you don't have a permanent address, how are you going to get an ID? Without an ID, you can't register for school, buy a car, get a credit card, anything. With no address, how do you get your mail?

California gets over-run by young people thinking they can live cheaply by camping/squatting - most municipalities don't take kindly to homeless living on their streets and roust them out pretty quickly. Where there ARE homeless communities, crime, violence, disease and drug abuse run rampant. And as the new guy in town, you're going to get the very short end of the stick from some violently antisocial / mentally unstable people who have nothing left to lose except those few dry, warm square feet of living space you're trying to get into.

Old 02-13-2012, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gone down south View Post
Oh come on, you're purposely misinterpreting the statement. You can't grow wings or turn purple just by working hard, and I as a 40-year-old man will never be a Playboy Centerfold either.

That's not to say this setting life goals and working towards them is a bad idea.
1. this is a troll thread -- clearly.
2. correct: "you can't turn purple or grow wings just by working hard" -- and just as that is so, the same is true for many many other things in life.
3. I never said that setting life goals and working toward them is a bad idea.

The point is: this inspirational self-help crap about "you can achieve anything in life you set your mind to" is, well, crap.
You won't likely achieve much if you don't set your mind to it -- but mindset doesn't get 7 billion people on the planet all a place on the top shelves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California