U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 02-13-2012, 06:35 PM

413 posts, read 566,684 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nullgeo View Post
Well, quiet as it's kept, communicating as a hearing person in that weather isn't comfortable either: ear muffs and hat flaps down, scarf / ski-mobile mask over face, teeth-chattering, lips blue and immobilized by the cold ... etc.
Not too surprised. Kinda hard to breath in below zero temps.

Old 02-13-2012, 08:07 PM

1,723 posts, read 1,002,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nullgeo View Post
ha ha ... Yes, fiber is key!
Also ha ha -- no, not DIs
I was an airman in a squadron that engaged in close-air troop support ... search and destroy ... search and rescue ... I worked flight decks and flew crew in props, jets, and helicopters -- all very noisy toys ... took both concussion and direct impact damage on several occasions (crashes) ... the specific cause of my hearing loss is impossible to pinpoint.

I went on to earn my first (B.A.) degree in music regardless -- but, obviously, without ability to perform professionally.
Thank you for your service! My father was a WWII vet..

stay well Nullgeo..

Old 02-13-2012, 08:37 PM

14,352 posts, read 12,180,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by .highnlite View Post
The difference in tax burden between CA and the "low tax" states is no more than 4%. On an income of $100,000 a year, that is about $11.00 per day.

You are likely to save more than that on heating and/or cooling costs by staying in California with its benign climate.

In California you would pay about $10,500 total tax burden, in Texas you would pay about $7,500.

Many would consider that $4,000 a reasonable fee for not having to live in Texas.
If that were the only difference, you might be right. But of course, we all know housing costs are 2-3X what they are in TX, especially in the areas most people want to live. Sure, you can live in the Central Valley where it's cheaper, but I'd argue quite a few Texas metro areas beat the Central Valley on both cost & quality of life.

Old 02-13-2012, 08:42 PM

Quote:
There is a reason why California has so many people, and that is because it is uniquely desirable. There is no other state with the range of climates, geography and industry as California.

Southern California is stereotyped as the land of blue eyed blonds because it is stocked with north Europeans /Scandinavians who figured out that wheat farming in the upper mid west was not as pleasant as fruit/nut/produce farming in SoCal.
California has a lot of people simply because it's a big state. Other states on the East Coast like Rhode Island, New Jersey, New York, etc. have higher population densities. California's population growth rate has also slowed down quite a bit, to about the national average, which shows that it's less appealing than it used to be.

Old 02-13-2012, 08:46 PM

7,962 posts, read 9,841,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
We did move. I just mever fully left. I still work in CA soemtimes and live in OC when I need to be there for work.

We moved for a lot of reasons. The top reasons were to be closer to family, find a more wholesome moral and social and environmental atmosphere for raising our pack of children, ever increasing taxes, cost of decent housing (we wanted to move to a new location, but did not like our CA options), more laid back/less busyness, and the insanity of the California government (we expected it would be BK by now).

We ended up going to Michigan (near Detroit) primarily because we have the most family members in MIchigan and it is centrally located to several other family members. It has loads of clean water, cleaner air, blue skies with puffy clouds, thunderstorms, and forests of trees and fields and things we bought a big house on a big island and everything (except heat) is less expensive. We sometimes have regrets and miss S. Cal., but overall, we achieved what we were looking for. It is much better for the kids in our opinion. It is also better for my wife who hated the unchanging CA weather and especially Santa Ana winds (asthma). For me? Well, I like being near my extended family, but I miss my skyrocketing career (big setback), my friends, and the abundant sunshine and the mountains. I often have severe regrets about moving from a personal standpoint, but for our family, it was the right thing to do.

Anyway we looked at moving to the following areas outside of California:

Charleston SC (All ready to move until I learned that I would never get work in my business because I am not natvie and have no family name in the area. I got over the fact that no one would sell me a house South of Broad, and found a nice place in Mt. Pleasant, but the no work thing was a killer).

Denver Colorado. (We did not go here because we had no connection to Denver or anything near Denver. It would have bene nice though. As far as we could tell, it has all of the things we wanted except family (plus great skiing).

Lake Dallas Texas (DFW area) We considered this area because we have family in the area and there were plenty of job opportunities for me. However we discovered that it was too much like some parts of what we wanted to escape from.

Boston area. Pretty. We took a quick look, but it was never really pracitcal. Too expensive, to competitive for work. Too crowded. Kind of remote familywise (although my wifes parents are there). Overall, not enough pluses.

Virginia (Richmond, Willamsburg, and a few other cities). Viriginia has some really nice places. We decided that we liked Charleston better and when that did not work out, we just stopped looking at the entire area (SE seaboard). I am not really sure why, it might have been a good location for us as long as we were far enoguh away from D.C. (whcih has all of the down sides of So. Cal. with none of the upsides IMO.
A fascinating and useful analysis.

Old 02-13-2012, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by josh u View Post
I don't know where people get the idea that everything is more expensive in Calif. It's only gasoline and housing that's more..
I love how people say this as if these are trivial expenses. Housing is one's biggest expense by far.

Quote:
Originally Posted by josh u View Post
In some places in Texas, they pay 3% property taxes so they end up paying about the same per year as a Calif homeowner who pays 1.1%..
In practice, the real rate in CA is much greater than 1.1%. Most communities have tacked on special assessments for school districts, libraries, parks, fire districts, etc. over the years since Prop 13 passed in 1978..[/quote]

I will concede heating & cooling bills are lower in CA because of the climate...but even this only applies in the coastal metro areas. A large and growing share of the state's population lives in the inland areas that require a lot more heat/AC. The inland areas have cheaper real estate than the coast, but it's typically still more expensive than the U.S. average.

Old 02-13-2012, 10:36 PM

426 posts, read 987,819 times
Funny how varied the answers are on this topic. I guess the old phrase "different strokes for different folks" really is true. I am currently in one of the "magnificent" locals in CA. and yet I am not blind to the fact that there are other states with equal appeal. Sorry that the poster from SF felt this was trivial, but took the time to reply...Just getting to the point where the inmates are running the asylum and I am running out of ways justifying the bailouts.

Old 02-13-2012, 10:47 PM

6,390 posts, read 3,420,016 times
Quote:
In practice, the real rate in CA is much greater than 1.1%. Most communities have tacked on special assessments for school districts, libraries, parks, fire districts, etc. over the years since Prop 13 passed in 1978..
Not "much greater" generally still less than 2%.

If you are a city person, an indoors person, just about anyplace is much like anyplace, doesn't matter where you live.

If you are an out doors person, and you like wild country, wild mountains, wild rivers, you need the West, and in the West, the state that has the greatest variety of wild land is California, there is no other state that comes close.

Old 02-14-2012, 10:11 AM

4,615 posts, read 3,277,432 times
Quite true.

Quote:
Not "much greater" generally still less than 2%.

If you are a city person, an indoors person, just about anyplace is much like anyplace, doesn't matter where you live.

If you are an out doors person, and you like wild country, wild mountains, wild rivers, you need the West, and in the West, the state that has the greatest variety of wild land is California, there is no other state that comes close.
Bottom line, there is more to living in a place than what the cost of living is. As my son said a few years back: you get what you pay for.

And please, LA folk, don't say that CA sucks. LA is such a tiny part of CA. 99% of CA is not LA.Your part of LA might suck, but I live in the Sierras and it is the most wonderful part of the world. Clean air low crime and affordable housing.

Last edited by Mr5150; 02-14-2012 at 10:41 AM..

Old 02-14-2012, 10:13 AM

6,390 posts, read 3,420,016 times
Quote:
And please, LA folk, don't say that CA sucks. LA is such a tiny part of CA. 99% of CA is not LA.Your part of LA might suck, but I live in the Sierras and it is the most wonderful part of the world. Clean air low crime and affordable housing.
I lived in Truckee for 40 years, where abouts are you? Roughly, you don't need to give particulars.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California