Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-14-2012, 01:15 PM

17,401 posts, read 11,975,567 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by .highnlite View Post
The difference in tax burden between CA and the "low tax" states is no more than 4%. On an income of $100,000 a year, that is about $11.00 per day.

You are likely to save more than that on heating and/or cooling costs by staying in California with its benign climate.

In California you would pay about $10,500 total tax burden, in Texas you would pay about $7,500.

Many would consider that $4,000 a reasonable fee for not having to live in Texas.
A yes, the Texas haters.

I can answer, because I already made the move to Texas. It's more than money, although that does enter into it. And $4000 is not insignificant.

Heating and cooling - the same. Unless you live on the coast, the temps are either VERY high or VERY cold at some point. Where I lived, in the Sierra foothills, it was both. And because energy costs are a LOT lower here in Texas, my out of pocket is lower.

Housing - same type of house, same square footage, same type of neighborhood. The house was about $200k less than I sold mine for in 2010. So my out of pocket, with taxes and insurance is about the same, for the same type of living situation.

Gas - about $3.25 a gallon. A whole lot less than CA.

Jobs - I left CA because I'd been laid off. Everyone else in my field that stayed in CA is still unemployed, all these years later. Found a job here in a matter of months, and there are plenty more where that came from.

Taxes - oh the joy of NOT filing state income tax this year. It can't be expressed. And the other taxes don't even come close to making up for the out of control taxes, er....I mean, "fees" that CA imposes. Registering my car? $200 less than CA.

Diversity - for all its talk of diversity, CA is really far from that. They talk a big game, but the neighborhoods and towns here are truly diverse. And nobody cares. We're all just folks, going about our business, living our lives.

Freedoms - oh, where to begin. It's sooooo nice not to be regulated to death. I can talk on my cell phone in my car (and there are a lot less accidents on the road here, in spite of more cars), buy spray paint without needing 14 forms of ID, and use whatever type of light bulb I want to. And in spite of what the haters will tell you about Texas, it's not a craphole here. It's nice. Really nice.

The best part? Not having to rub shoulders with the progressive nutjobs from the Bay area. That is priceless.....

Old 02-14-2012, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
And worth every cent to be able to not live in hot & humid, bug infested hurricane and/or tornado prone Bible Belt hellholes.
Careful now, your christian bigotry is showing.

Old 02-14-2012, 01:20 PM

124 posts, read 334,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
A yes, the Texas haters.

I can answer, because I already made the move to Texas. It's more than money, although that does enter into it. And $4000 is not insignificant.

Heating and cooling - the same. Unless you live on the coast, the temps are either VERY high or VERY cold at some point. Where I lived, in the Sierra foothills, it was both. And because energy costs are a LOT lower here in Texas, my out of pocket is lower.

Housing - same type of house, same square footage, same type of neighborhood. The house was about $200k less than I sold mine for in 2010. So my out of pocket, with taxes and insurance is about the same, for the same type of living situation.

Gas - about $3.25 a gallon. A whole lot less than CA.

Jobs - I left CA because I'd been laid off. Everyone else in my field that stayed in CA is still unemployed, all these years later. Found a job here in a matter of months, and there are plenty more where that came from.

Taxes - oh the joy of NOT filing state income tax this year. It can't be expressed. And the other taxes don't even come close to making up for the out of control taxes, er....I mean, "fees" that CA imposes. Registering my car? $200 less than CA.

Diversity - for all its talk of diversity, CA is really far from that. They talk a big game, but the neighborhoods and towns here are truly diverse. And nobody cares. We're all just folks, going about our business, living our lives.

Freedoms - oh, where to begin. It's sooooo nice not to be regulated to death. I can talk on my cell phone in my car (and there are a lot less accidents on the road here, in spite of more cars), buy spray paint without needing 14 forms of ID, and use whatever type of light bulb I want to. And in spite of what the haters will tell you about Texas, it's not a craphole here. It's nice. Really nice.

The best part? Not having to rub shoulders with the progressive nutjobs from the Bay area. That is priceless.....
I used to live in San Antonio and I've lived in Austin. Loved them both. I love the cleanliness and the newness of everything. I'm in a suburb of Nashville - same thing - inexpensive - SUPER CLEAN and everything is so kept up. I have to move to OC now and will cry the day I leave Nashville. Ca is *nice* but not great. We have a condo in Coral Gables, Florida and we're keeping it too in case this whole CA thing doesn't work out.
It's not a big bible belt like people who have never been here think it is. Nashville is no way near the religious town people make it out to be. Too many X-californians for that! LOL
Texas was a great place to live too I miss it.

Old 02-14-2012, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by josh u View Post
I don't know where people get the idea that everything is more expensive in Calif. It's only gasoline and housing that's more. My typical heating/cooling costs are $60-100 per month. Compare that with Phoenix or Houston, where the bill averages $400-500 (and I've heard of $1000+ bills). Most places in the US have extreme climate either way, so even if you pay a little less per watt or per therm, you still end up paying much much more overall.

In some places in Texas, they pay 3% property taxes so they end up paying about the same per year as a Calif homeowner who pays 1.1%.

Because of climate, things just deteroriate faster in other places. Your A/C unit will only last several years in a place like Vegas or Houston because it's running 24/7 for 9 months each year, then it'll cost you $3500 for a new unit. A roof lasts 10-15 years in Dallas (due to hailstorms), then it'll cost you thousands for a new one. (A tile roof in Calif lasts 50 years.) Don't expect a wood fence to last more than 8 years in a humid climate; in Calif they last nearly 20 years. People pay less upfront for the house then get hit with higher repair bills later.
You can always make your argument when you compare apples to oranges. Instead of comparing "generic" CA with Phoenix or Houston, compare them to Riverside or the inland valley. I live outside of Sacramento, and our heating/air ran almost nonstop for 9 months of the year. And yes, property taxes might be higher in TX, but you will pay FAR more for the same house in CA, making your tax burden higher.

And while a tile roof might last 5 times longer than a roof in Dallas, it costs 10 times as much to put on. And you're right about wooden fences not lasting very long. Which is exactly why you don't have them there. You do understand there are different types of fencing material, don't you? As for higher repair bills being higher elsewhere, you are ignoring the most significant cost of home repair - labor charges. Which, of course, are a LOT more in CA.

Old 02-14-2012, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueTimbers View Post
Good then move whiners and complainers... I think I am going to place a pole on political orientation on who like California and those that do not.. I have a sneaking suspicion on the results..

Get up and go.. It will make the state a better place....
Ah yes, and leave the great state of California to those public school graduates that don't know the difference between poll and pole.

Old 02-14-2012, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by movestoomuch View Post
I used to live in San Antonio and I've lived in Austin. Loved them both. I love the cleanliness and the newness of everything. I'm in a suburb of Nashville - same thing - inexpensive - SUPER CLEAN and everything is so kept up. I have to move to OC now and will cry the day I leave Nashville. Ca is *nice* but not great. We have a condo in Coral Gables, Florida and we're keeping it too in case this whole CA thing doesn't work out.
It's not a big bible belt like people who have never been here think it is. Nashville is no way near the religious town people make it out to be. Too many X-californians for that! LOL
I was a little worried about moving here, but have to say, I love it here. I miss my friends in CA, and the scenery. But other than that, not ever going back.

Old 02-14-2012, 01:50 PM

6,390 posts, read 9,684,265 times
Quote:
Ah yes, and leave the great state of California to those public school graduates that don't know the difference between poll and pole.
Quote:
I was a little worried about moving here, but have to say, I love it here. I miss my friends in CA, and the scenery. But other than that, not ever going back.
Life is far to short to live on flat ground, but, that said, thank you for your move. If you can think of ways to get more to follow you, please let them know.

Old 02-14-2012, 01:51 PM

7,150 posts, read 10,898,467 times
This is a wonderful thread, imo ... I am so pleased to hear that lots of folks don't like California, can't afford it, whatever ... I am pleased that so many have left or are planning on leaving soon for greener, cheaper pastures. Bon voyage and best wishes.

Oh, and: no need to write.

Old 02-14-2012, 02:00 PM

653 posts, read 945,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movestoomuch View Post
California is the love of my life, but Austin is super cute and very dog-friendly. I've visited a few times. I love Lake Travis! I was surprised how "non-Texas stereotype" (yes, I know what they say about stereotypes) it was there.

Old 02-14-2012, 02:06 PM

653 posts, read 945,915 times
Quote:
I'm a proud public school graduate (from the worst neighborhood in Baltimore County, at that!), and I make a lot more money than most the private school graduates I know. I also know what a double negative is (I had a fabulous English teacher once say: "You may be from this town, but you don't have to sound like it." AMEN, Mr. Stockett! ). So sad that their parents wasted all that money. I suppose it just goes to show, it's not about how much you paid for your education, but what you did with it. And that's what I teach the children I mentor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California