Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-14-2012, 09:42 PM

124 posts, read 333,158 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrob1 View Post
Since your moving to Calif and now live in Tenn answer this for me. Tenn or so I am told generates its state revenue by Sales Tax. The highest in the nation. The Tax is almost 10% and is virtually on everything including services. The only thing that is not taxed is prescriptions. Housing is cheaper, property taxes are cheaper. There is no high vehicle registration cost nor yearly vehicle property tax. There is no income tax. So something has to give. I don't see how the state funds its schools and infrastructure etc. with such limited revenue. For a lower income person that high an income tax must really hurt. They must have to live very frugally. Or many must be on food stamps. Since even the grocery bill is taxed. It just seems like a very limited way to fund a state. Plus the Sales tax can only go up and up as more money is needed. So how does the state manage? Or is Tenn basically a poor state.

Good luck in Calif. I hope things will be good for you there.
Well, you know, I can't answer all your questions.

But from personal experience, Nashville (Carronbridge, The Enclave in Cool Springs) has been VERY good to us. If it weren't for this job change - I would never have moved. *sorry*

Since I grew up in NYC I can gather your snickers are as hearty as ours were UNTIL WE GOT HERE.

After that we realized that the houses are GORGEOUS (our house in Franklin/Brentwood would easily fetch 5 million - we paid less than a million) everything near us is sparkling clean and the people are friendly!

Being a Jew, I thought it would be REALLLLLLY difficult for us here. NOT SO. These "so called' religious people (born agains) are no where to be found! I'm sure they are out in the fringes, but who the heck goes to the country unless they want to? Every single person I have told that I am Jewish has been so kind and accepting. I cannot explain it - you have to come here to experience it. Grant it - NASHVILLE itself is very liberal (we voted for Obama) and I think it takes A LOT of people to 'get' that it's not all country music (We never hear country music unless we go to the Opry - and I do not enjoy country music although my neighbor Troy Montgomery seems to like it) and it's WAY more liberal than Orange County!

I have lots of friends who have transferred here from Irvine with Nissan - they all like it better too. It is what it is - it's REALLY NICE - and CHEAP - but not "cheap." But I think you have to see it to believe it. We certainly thought that Nashville TN would be this huge redneck town and it turned out to be anything but.

I'd write more, but I just got back from a "concert" watching Robert Plant and bunch of other great musicians and I'm tired after sharing a few bottles of wine with them. But this sort of thing happens all the time - The musicians and actors and actresses here (yes many people live here who work in LA) are free to live amongst us regular people.

It's hard to explain -I would suppose (or at least hope -- but NK tells me it's not like that there) it's the same in LA with all the actors and all there.

I'll go more into detail tomorrow. But in all honesty - I'm a Jew who doesn't believe in g-d but I *love* Nashville. Hard to explain.

Old 02-14-2012, 10:04 PM

7,150 posts, read 10,839,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movestoomuch View Post
Being a Jew, I thought it would be REALLLLLLY difficult for us here. NOT SO. These "so called' religious people (born agains) are no where to be found! I'm sure they are out in the fringes, but who the heck goes to the country unless they want to?
Really?
Who the heck goes to the city -- unless they really want to? And why would you?

Old 02-14-2012, 10:06 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,764,481 times
You know what happened to the Deliverance boys when they went to the country...

Old 02-14-2012, 10:11 PM

7,150 posts, read 10,839,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
You know what happened to the Deliverance boys when they went to the country...
Let that be a warning then ...
I don't go to the country ...
I am country ...
and I do play banjo.

Old 02-15-2012, 06:07 AM

1,981 posts, read 3,135,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nullgeo View Post
Really?
It takes all kinds....my friend.....

Old 02-15-2012, 07:57 AM

17,385 posts, read 11,890,883 times
Quote:
Bible Belt mentality bigotry, and I earned it.
Wow. So if I was raised in a racist mentality, I'd get a pass? Nope, bigotry is ALWAYS wrong. You lefties keep telling us that.

Old 02-15-2012, 08:00 AM

17,385 posts, read 11,890,883 times
Quote:
Is this a county thing in Calif? Such as up there in the PRofSF? When I want spray paint and 100 watt incandescent bulbs, I march into the locally-owned hardware store or the local Home Depot and buy what I want. No forms, ID or restrictions.

The light bulb thing, when/if it does come, looks like it will be a nationwide thing.
Yes, the county was in CA. El Dorado county. Every spray paint can was under lock and key.

Old 02-15-2012, 11:22 AM

6,390 posts, read 9,629,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
Yes, the county was in CA. El Dorado county. Every spray paint can was under lock and key.
Gee wonder why.

Old 02-15-2012, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nullgeo View Post
Really?
LOL You laugh at this but it's true! Like Fontucky said about deliverance... It's out there, but thankfully realllllllllllly far away.

I admit that part of the post wasn't written clearly. I have nothing against the country, I'm just not a very rural kind of person. We have lived in 2 places that were fairly rural and we didn't seem to think it fit our lifestyles very well.
But the saying is true: Different strokes for different folks!

The country is beautiful, just not for the way we live our lives...

Old 02-15-2012, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by .highnlite View Post
Gee wonder why.
Where is that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California