Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-19-2012, 11:03 AM

18,172 posts, read 16,232,213 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Here! This ought to give everyone plenty of ammunition to fight one another with. The per capita figures are particulary interesting.

http://taxfoundation.org:81/sites/ta...ocs/ff2012.pdf
Shows about a 10% difference between CA and WA, not 1.3% (per capita).

Now the total State and Local is 1.3% as a percentage of State income and that is far different than per capita, which impacts people directly.

However individual circumstances will also be part of the equation, as would comparative cost of living/home cost per sq ft to sq ft home and lot, etc.

However WA has never been my favorite State so ....

Old 09-19-2012, 11:06 AM

6,390 posts, read 9,624,497 times
Quote:
No, just pointing out that if you paid that much someone was doing something seriously wrong.... But considering that it would be difficult for someone to mess up California's income tax return that bad, you're likely just making up numbers. I don't know, its almost like you looked at the top tax bracket and applied it to your entire income....of course that isn't how it works.
Dang, User and I agree on something! I pointed out to the ogetc that if he paid 30,000 in CA income tax he must have an income of around $300,000 and if so, what was he doing hanging out on an internet forum, heck, I'd be having a beer in Papeete or the south of France.

Old 09-19-2012, 01:54 PM

231 posts, read 587,710 times
Default An open apology

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
You're funny. This coming from a relatively newbie poster who lives in Washington. And you presume to speak for everyone ("We all...").

One thing I will have to say for .highn lite is that he usually knows whereof he speaks and he does know California extremely well. We don't always - sometimes even rarely - agree but then again, we're not required to. In the final analysis, CA is No. 6 on the tax scale (high) and living in State No. 33 we do realize some savings but some of those, such as age deductions, would have translated to lower taxes in CA as well. In the end it all comes down to where you want to live. It certainly wasn't Washington.

By the way, I have no idea whether or not the site I posted is the one he used, nor do I care.
.highnlite did bring out the worst in me and I apologize to any of the forum readers who were offended by my rants toward him.
Hello Curmudgeon, great handle. I have looked at .highnlites posts after he jumped on my post. What I saw were numerous one word posts that made very little since. I also saw numerous attacks on other posters. I agree that I have fewer posts than .highnlite, but I honestly do attempt to only post on subjects that I have first hand experience with and feel I can help the poster. I do not try to post all the time to get my status elevated from member to Senior member. I am not on this forum to attack people for kicks and giggles. I am not a California hater nor a Washington lover just an average guy living my life. I originally came to this forum prior to my move to Washington seeking infromation from people that had experiences different from my own. I do love debate, but I also dislike all the attacks.

Old 09-19-2012, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by user_id View Post
No, just pointing out that if you paid that much someone was doing something seriously wrong.... But considering that it would be difficult for someone to mess up California's income tax return that bad, you're likely just making up numbers. I don't know, its almost like you looked at the top tax bracket and applied it to your entire income....of course that isn't how it works.

Regardless a single household making $100,000 in California would pay between $3,000~$4,500 depending on deductions, a married household between $1,800~$3,000 depending on deductions.

One thing I've always liked about California income taxes is that they more or less mirror federal taxes, so the same strategies that lower your federal tax bill also lower your state tax bill (e.g., retirement savings, mortgage interest deduction, HSA, etc).
User_id
The $10,000 was the amount my employer removed from my pay and gave to the State of California. It was easy to calculate since it is on the last pay stub every year as a YTD total. The $0 was the amount my current employer takes out of my current paycheck and gives to the State of Washington. It was also easy to calculate. I did not discuss the amount of return I received from either State.

Old 09-19-2012, 02:00 PM

6,390 posts, read 9,624,497 times
Quote:
numerous one word posts that made very little since.
"Sense" actually. not one to waste words is I. Personal attacks? silliness, the second set of posts the moderators check for out of lineness are mine. Calling a spade a spade is not a personal attack It is true that I interject extremely clever and humorous responses

And it is true, that if one posts day dreams about taxes, one can expect to get called on it.

Old 09-19-2012, 02:05 PM

12,460 posts, read 19,989,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OGTSO View Post
User_id
The $10,000 was the amount my employer removed from my pay and gave to the State of California. It was easy to calculate since it is on the last pay stub every year as a YTD total. The $0 was the amount my current employer takes out of my current paycheck and gives to the State of Washington.
Funny, now its just that your employer was taking out $10,000 not that you were actually paying that much in tax. You didn't "avoid" $30,000 in taxes, if you were getting most of it back at the end of the year. So....after you received your first $5,000+ refund from California you didn't ask your employer to reduce their withholding? Okay, I guess you like giving California free loans, but the actual income tax you would have paid would have been dramatically less than $10,000.

So, to say it again, an individual making $100,000 would pay between $3,000~$4,500 and a family would pay between $1,800~3,000.

Regardless, Washington has an aggressive business tax and that tax effects wages, prices, etc in the state. I've known businesses that left for Oregon because their business tax, and Oregon has a ~8% corporate tax...but its a tax on profits.

Old 09-19-2012, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by user_id View Post
Funny, now its just that your employer was taking out $10,000 not that you were actually paying that much in tax. You didn't "avoid" $30,000 in taxes, if you were getting most of it back at the end of the year. So....after you received your first $5,000+ refund from California you didn't ask your employer to reduce their withholding? Okay, I guess you like giving California free loans, but the actual income tax you would have paid would have been dramatically less than $10,000.

So, to say it again, an individual making $100,000 would pay between $3,000~$4,500 and a family would pay between $1,800~3,000.

Regardless, Washington has an aggressive business tax and that tax effects wages, prices, etc in the state. I've known businesses that left for Oregon because their business tax, and Oregon has a ~8% corporate tax...but its a tax on profits.
Now you are attacking, but I will try to answer your question. I never received a $5,000 tax refund from the State of California. I am sure you will not believe me, but the biggest California State tax return I received was about $400. I do not know where you got your $3,000~$4,000 figure. I have said it before and I will say it again. You can believe numbers you pull out of websites or you can believe numbers from a person that has paid in both states. I have worked with people that get huge tax returns and think they are so smart, until they get audited and lose everything. Thanks for your valuable experience laden input on the topic.

Old 09-19-2012, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by .highnlite View Post
"Sense" actually. not one to waste words is I. Personal attacks? silliness, the second set of posts the moderators check for out of lineness are mine. Calling a spade a spade is not a personal attack It is true that I interject extremely clever and humorous responses

And it is true, that if one posts day dreams about taxes, one can expect to get called on it.
I am truly sorry for the spelling mistake. I am also sorry I have so deeply offended you with my life experience. First, you thought it would be hard to live at my house and now you say my life is a dream. Which one to believe? Lets just get along and move on, ok buddy! Have a beautiful day as always. Cheers!!

Last edited by OGTSO; 09-19-2012 at 03:24 PM..

Old 09-19-2012, 03:17 PM

890 posts, read 1,842,150 times
https://webapp.ftb.ca.gov/taxcalc/ca...edirectURL=OTC

In 2011, a $100,000 TAXABLE income results in:

$6,946 if you are single
$4,594 if you are married filing jointly

Of course, if you make $100K a year, there are deductions which would result in a lower TAXABLE income.

Not taking sides here, just sharing some info.

Old 09-19-2012, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbbd View Post
https://webapp.ftb.ca.gov/taxcalc/ca...edirectURL=OTC

In 2011, a $100,000 TAXABLE income results in:

$6,946 if you are single
$4,594 if you are married filing jointly

Of course, if you make $100K a year, there are deductions which would result in a lower TAXABLE income.

Not taking sides here, just sharing some info.
Let me try a clever response like .highnlite has used:
What is your point?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California