Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2012, 08:24 AM

653 posts, read 945,662 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nullgeo View Post
So far so good ... 46 replies ... not a moderator in sight ... no fist-fights ... no car bombs ... no tar and feathers ... no invocations of spirits -- though I expect with all this discussion of smoker / bbq cooking, spirits will enter the conversation soon ... what's a good bbq without beer, wine, whiskey? So, everybody's sticking to the game plan ... an example of Rodney King's dream realized

My contribution to the bbq scene? None: never touch the stuff ... raw veggies, fruits, nuts, and a fair amount of fish, fowl, lamb, venison, but never fuss over it. I just eat to live ... plain ... boring -- y'all sound like you live to eat ... pretty cool, I guess. Carry on. Just remember: keep it tied to California or the moderators will spoil the bbq. Californio Rancheros, works ... bringing wood down from the Sierras ... roasting the wild boar harvested in the California backlands ... Hell, reminicising about A&W root beer and burgers works -- long as the A&W was in California and you say so.
lol Mission accomplished! I admit, I wasn't sure it was possible. Great job!

Speaking of food (one of my favorite topics)... regarding California (so your thread doesn't get Moderatored -- yes, I just invented a verb ), +1 to the California farmers' markets! My mouth waters just thinking about them. I dream of growing my own veggies, fruit, and maybe even eggs (jury is still out on that one) when I return to CA. We should hold a C-D Shindig. I'll bring the greens, the rest can bring the ribs.

Now carry on with your talk of BBQ. You should be good for at least a few more posts before you have to mention CA again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2012, 08:25 AM

50,270 posts, read 47,023,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Guess thisn isn't the place to mention New England lobster and clam bakes on the beach so I'll shift to Shakey's Pizza and Bob's Big Boy, both staples while in college in CA - two essential food groups!
We make California chowder with fresh Pismos, oysters and good old garden potatoes and onions from the garden! Makes me want to break out the beer making contraptions. Remember, if you make it here it's all California!

Old 02-16-2012, 08:34 AM

6,390 posts, read 9,682,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogdad View Post
Funny I didn't see that in any Star Trek episodes
Technology does not equate to civilization.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
We make California chowder with fresh Pismos, oysters and good old garden potatoes and onions from the garden! Makes me want to break out the beer making contraptions. Remember, if you make it here it's all California!

California has lobster too,, and the best seafood of all, if you can get it, abalone.

Old 02-16-2012, 09:22 AM

1,981 posts, read 3,151,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Best clam chowder ever is California clam chowder... Up in Gualala wins the prize for me with some in Bodega coming in a close second... Toss a good loaf of crusty bread from the bakery in Occidental and you got that perfect meal for a rainy winter day on the North coast..

Which leads me to Oysters.... Worlds greatest oysters from the farms around Inverness... Raw thank you, with a dash of Tabasco..

Old 02-16-2012, 11:09 AM

7,150 posts, read 10,897,373 times
Interesting, from a social-anthropology perspective ... this thread so far appears to be demonstrating that what humans do for social interaction, when not fighting about politics or religion or money, is: eat and reminisce ...

Sounds like a mighty fine picnic to me

Last edited by nullgeo; 02-16-2012 at 12:31 PM..

Old 02-16-2012, 11:45 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,475,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueTimbers View Post
Which leads me to Oysters.... Worlds greatest oysters from the farms around Inverness... Raw thank you, with a dash of Tabasco..
Same oysters grilled on the half-shell with a dab of butter and garlic; the rest used in oyster stew. Both served with a good, crusty sour dough.

Old 02-16-2012, 11:55 AM

1,664 posts, read 3,956,535 times
Quote:
Best clam chowder ever is California clam chowder... Up in Gualala wins the prize for me with some in Bodega coming in a close second... Toss a good loaf of crusty bread from the bakery in Occidental and you got that perfect meal for a rainy winter day on the North coast..

Gosh darn it! Now you whupped me up to make a trip to he coast......

Yeah, clam chowder the bread the oysters and dont forget a good wine,,pick it up on the way over at your fav winery!!

Sighs, California is a great state or what?

Old 02-16-2012, 12:05 PM

653 posts, read 945,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nullgeo View Post
Interesting, from a social-anthropology perspective ... this thread so far appears to be demonstrating that what humans do for social interaction, when not fighting about politics or religion or money is: eat and reminisce ...

Sounds like a mighty fine picnic to me
Yup. And I'm Greek, so a double dose of both for me (you know how we Greeks like to feed people, and talk about the good ole' days back in Kos ) lol

Can't wait for the picnic!

Old 02-16-2012, 12:19 PM

50,270 posts, read 47,023,439 times
Quote:

It is too bad that most of the oyster areas are too close to river mouths and bays here but I've still got some good spots.

Old 02-16-2012, 03:56 PM

1,370 posts, read 2,182,146 times
Staying somewhat on topic, meaning shellfish . . .

When I was a kid and in my teens, I remember that you couldn't walk on a SoCal beach without finding tons of sand dollars, living ones, with barnacles on them. They were everywhere. And then one day they weren't. I always missed them when I went to the beach in later years.

Then, when I was at Lake Tahoe one year, I walked out onto a gravel beach and the entire shore was covered with crawfish! I had never seen one before, and had no idea they were in Lake Tahoe, and was fascinated, taking many photographs of them.

And lastly, I went to Silverwood Lake in the San Bernardino Mountains, and found, once again to my surprise, the receding shore filled to the brim with clams! I guess I am a bit shellfish naive, for I had no idea there were freshwater clams in the local lakes. For reasons that made sense to me at the time, I decided to save their little clam lives by throwing many back into the lake, which was at a low level due to drought, until after about 200 I got tired and realized I couldn't save all the clams, and gave up.

So ends my California shellfish stories. Well, except that I just realized that a sand dollar is mostly likely not a shellfish, and more likely a mollusk or something, and I don't care enough at the moment to look it up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California