Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2012, 11:22 PM

8,174 posts, read 16,562,313 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dclamb3 View Post
lol At least this thread is (thankfully) drama-free. And just when my faith in CA C-D began to be restored that there could be peace on C-D, a poster on another thread got salty. I'm starting to think that the CA C-D thread is no substitute for holding me over until I actually get to CA. I may have to find something more peaceful to pass my winter lock-in time. Come on spring so I can get the pups outside to the park! Then back to CA to enjoy all the wonderful things mentioned in this thread.
It can get old after a while to hear the same old song and dance with plently of wine and cheese which accompanies it. So yeah, its good to take a break from CD now and again. I haven't participated as much because there are simply better ways to spend my time enjoying life vs. engaging in foolish discussions. Every now and again I see a thread of interest or a way to provide some info for someone with questions. Beyond that its at times like turning on the evening news, a lot of junk without a whole lot of substance.

Derek
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2012, 11:30 PM

4,108 posts, read 10,746,753 times
Here's what tight/legit about the Bay Area:
  • Taquerias, although I think the "authentic Mexican food" argument can be said about most of California.
  • Local hip-hop played on KMEL. I'm whiter than white, call me weird, but at least it isn't a cookie-cutter hip-hop station like 95% I've heard.
  • Greenery. The Santa Cruz Mountains. 'Nuff said.
  • Better preserved and more natural coastline than GLAMA down south.
  • Half Moon Bay
  • Stinson Beach
  • Stanford's campus
  • Berkeley...overall. I gotta try out Cancun Taqueria.
  • Caltrain/BART. Now if only they could integrate their managements and lines, then I'd be a very happy camper.
  • Raman's Cafe in HMB. "The Best Chai on Earth," and it really is very good!
  • Downtown areas adjacent to/on El Camino Real (i.e.: Palo Alto, Menlo Park, Redwood City, Burlingame, San Mateo) are all very "local" and thriving.
  • Marin Headlands, the views, park and big loop along the ocean.
  • Santa Clara University: great school and campus, proclaimed as the new "Georgetown of the West."
  • I dislike SFO, so it's nice to know that I can pay a little more and fly out of OAK or SJC.
  • The fact that it's easy to get to SJC or, slightly less so, SFO from my house.
  • The view of fog nearly every morning and evening over the SC Mountains just behind my house.
  • I've had a Taiwanese lady and redneck barber cut my hair so far. Both were very good!!
  • People always seem to approach me at a Caltrain or BART station and ask for directions about using the ticket machine, the right side of the tracks, etc. I guess it's nice to be approachable.
Quite frankly, I can do the Bay Area without San Francisco. I'll refrain from whining about SF since this isn't the thread for that.

I gotta get all the Bay Area fix I can while I'm still here. Unless something drastic occurs, it looks like I'll be in GLAMA (likely Inland Empire) by September. I think I'll enjoy the IE, too, if not more than the BA. But it certainly has an entirely different personality than the BA. I'm already looking at places to live up in the SB Mountains (Forest Falls, Crestline) so I can have a green fix when I come home from work and school.

Last edited by EclecticEars; 02-16-2012 at 11:44 PM..

Old 02-17-2012, 08:18 AM

653 posts, read 940,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnSurfer View Post
It can get old after a while to hear the same old song and dance with plently of wine and cheese which accompanies it. So yeah, its good to take a break from CD now and again. I haven't participated as much because there are simply better ways to spend my time enjoying life vs. engaging in foolish discussions. Every now and again I see a thread of interest or a way to provide some info for someone with questions. Beyond that its at times like turning on the evening news, a lot of junk without a whole lot of substance.

Derek
I completely agree. However, when I'm snowed in (we're expecting snow again this weekend ), sick, or sitting in a room watching over a pup or relative recovering from surgery (way too many surgeries lately, and another next week) and trying to remain quiet so they can sleep, it's a great way to have quiet interaction with the outside world so you don't lose your mind. It's so much easier when they're awake and you're caring for them so you have someone to talk to.

Believe me though, I'd much rather have everyone healthy and be in sunny warm CA already.

Old 02-17-2012, 02:32 PM

4,156 posts, read 5,524,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nullgeo View Post
As one who has felt the adrenaline rush of violence in war, I can say, personally, I don't care for it one bit ... but furthermore, having stood back to back with fellow warriors and members of non-warring communities alike -- well, didn't / don't care much for that either. Guess that's why some folks enjoy picnics with ribs and sauces ... and some, boring folks like myself, just munch on handfuls of nuts and fruits while hiking alone from the gatherings -- and wars.
Hmmm, have you considered the possibility you're just an anti-social *****?

Kidding. Just kidding. I enjoy solitude as well. Then again, I'm an anti-social *****. But my hope remains that our salvation can be found in the later explanation for humanity's unquenchable blood-thirst.

Old 02-17-2012, 04:11 PM

7,150 posts, read 10,833,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nslander View Post
Hmmm, have you considered the possibility you're just an anti-social *****?
Yes.

Old 02-17-2012, 04:15 PM

4,156 posts, read 5,524,080 times
Quote:
Yes.
I'm good with it as well.

Old 02-18-2012, 12:34 PM

50,056 posts, read 46,553,810 times
back on track you grumps

Old 02-18-2012, 12:47 PM

22,564 posts, read 24,349,979 times
I am hanging out in The Spokanadelphia now, nice place........winters are too LOOOOOONNNNG. The crime here is actually pretty high.....lots of tweaked out hillbillies.

Southern California is very interesting and has the best weather in the world......it is calling me back. Need to move to a smaller town/city instead of a big, crowded mess.

Old 02-18-2012, 12:51 PM

653 posts, read 940,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
I am hanging out in The Spokanadelphia now, nice place........winters are too LOOOOOONNNNG. The crime here is actually pretty high.....lots of tweaked out hillbillies.

Southern California is very interesting and has the best weather in the world......it is calling me back. Need to move to a smaller town/city instead of a big, crowded mess.
Good gravy. For you and me both! I am literally going stir crazy in this house! Evidence: Since I work behind a computer all day, I typically avoid them like the plague when I get home. I like to go off the grid, and get to the park with the pups or the beach, hit the farmers' market, cook, play in the sun. Now that it's winter, all I do is research my upcoming move to CA and sit on C-D talking about my upcoming move to CA. lol

Just return to SoCal. You won't be sorry.

Old 02-18-2012, 01:09 PM

50,056 posts, read 46,553,810 times
Quote:
Yes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dclamb3 View Post
Good gravy. For you and me both! I am literally going stir crazy in this house! Evidence: Since I work behind a computer all day, I typically avoid them like the plague when I get home. I like to go off the grid, and get to the park with the pups or the beach, hit the farmers' market, cook, play in the sun. Now that it's winter, all I do is research my upcoming move to CA and sit on C-D talking about my upcoming move to CA. lol

Just return to SoCal. You won't be sorry.

I'm gonna go get me some Pismo clams later today!! Let's see everyone pull that one off

No cheating using grocery stores! PS it's back near 70 degrees today......whooot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California