Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2012, 11:33 PM

7,150 posts, read 10,840,175 times

Advertisements

Ok ... we'll see if this is within bounds:
Try posting anything that comes to mind about California that isn't:
• politics
• immigration
• religion / philosophy
• whining (especially about cost of living)
All the above have their own separate forums
-- except "whining" --
but whining (especially about the COL) is just so over-covered in other threads.

Wandering from topic to topic is allowed (and encouraged) as long as the tangents relate to something interesting about California -- and specifically NOT about any of the above list. A bit of a dare here: to see if it is actually possible to go on at length without devolving into the Twilight Zone topics.

I will start with: anybody planning to beachcomb for valuable / interesting stuff when the debris from Japan hits our shores?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2012, 05:36 AM

1,981 posts, read 3,136,023 times
You bet.... I suspect it will be more of a sobering experience than anything else though.. Planning ahead hey.. Aren't the debris still a year plus away? Or are you going to boat out to them to get all the best treasures first...

You should have seen us when the mini Tsunami hit.. Racing down the beach hoping for some cool stuff to wash up.. We had visions of world record abalone shells washed up.. I was going to be so big we were going to have to strap it to the top of the car to haul it away..

Old 02-15-2012, 05:55 AM

16,806 posts, read 39,767,938 times
What I've missed most about CA when I've been away for a few years: the Mojave Desert and the Santa Ana winds.

Old 02-15-2012, 06:03 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,315,377 times
Loved the Santa Ana winds when I was a child. They were almost as special as being able to look out one of our second story windows and see Catalina Island off in the distance.

Old 02-15-2012, 06:19 AM

We (when I was a kid) lived on a hill and got to see Catalina and San Clemente Is.

Old 02-15-2012, 07:22 AM

50,060 posts, read 46,587,189 times
Spring Turkey season starts in 6 weeks. Little league try outs are right now! The WSB will start chewing shortly so keep the boat keys on stand by.

Old 02-15-2012, 07:35 AM

9,319 posts, read 18,682,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Loved the Santa Ana winds when I was a child. They were almost as special as being able to look out one of our second story windows and see Catalina Island off in the distance.
So did I love those balmy winds. I loved driving up and down the coast hwy and hardly passing another car between Laguna and Newport Beach. I miss the little white house on the corner in Laguna that had very different food. Wave street in Laguna with the Witch house. I used to park in front of that house and just stare. The Date Shake shack. All the little "original" art shops now filled with cheesy T-shirts from China. The Pottery Barn. The Sawdust festival. The sunsets on the beach and never wanting to drive back to Ontario.

Old 02-15-2012, 07:44 AM

1,320 posts, read 2,684,578 times
The dates sold at that date farm outside of Palm Springs are way, way better than any date I have had anywhere....the fruit, I mean, the fruit.

Old 02-15-2012, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotleyCrew View Post
I miss the little white house on the corner in Laguna that had very different food. Wave street in Laguna with the Witch house.
How about the steep drop on 3rd St?

Old 02-15-2012, 08:00 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,315,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotleyCrew View Post
So did I love those balmy winds. I loved driving up and down the coast hwy and hardly passing another car between Laguna and Newport Beach. I miss the little white house on the corner in Laguna that had very different food. Wave street in Laguna with the Witch house. I used to park in front of that house and just stare. The Date Shake shack. All the little "original" art shops now filled with cheesy T-shirts from China. The Pottery Barn. The Sawdust festival. The sunsets on the beach and never wanting to drive back to Ontario.
Remember well the Coast Hwy date shake shack and riding stables on the way to Laguna. Can't forget The Greeter, Eiler Larson, back in the day, a long, long time ago. Good times. Great memories!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California