U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Unread 02-17-2012, 04:08 PM

159 posts, read 165,469 times
Default Hispanic Population Moving Away People

I don't know if you've noticed, but this has been happening a lot in my city, and even around the whole state and country.

So I live in Northern CA, in Santa Rosa, about 50 minutes north of SF. About 30% of my city is Hispanic, mostly those of Mexican descent, and when I was born in 1993, my city was only roughly ten percent Hispanic people. It grew 300% in less than two decades.

I was reading an article about how there's a lot of "White flight" going on in some schools in my city. The elementary school I attended as a kid, was predominantly Caucasian--80%--and now it's only about 40%. The high school in that area, Piner High, was a very suburban white school at about 80% in the mid-90's, according to an article somewhere I read. Now the school is less than 30% white, and this happened in about 15 years. A lot of schools in my city, everywhere, are mostly Hispanic and the population of white people who have no Hispanic ancestry has dramatically decreased.

Why is that happening? Why do you think many non-Hispanic people are so concerned with sending their children to a predominantly Hispanic school? While many of them may not speak English as a first language, that shouldn't be too much of a problem if the school can properly assist the ESL kids. Sure there are Surenos and Nortenos in those areas but they don't just mess around with a random stranger.

I'm half-Chinese and half-white and growing up in a city with a smaller Asian population I was somewhat accepted in the Mexican-American community that I grew up in as a kid. However, my parents sent me to the white suburban schools across town and I did not really do so well there. A lot of the kids there picked on me, sometimes for just being Asian. When I went to middle school and high school, with way more minorities, they accepted me more and the Latino kids were actually much nicer to me and wanted to be my friend and would protect me. Of course I had some kids messing around with me that were Latinos, but even some that were Asians.

It's weird, because it seems like a lot of white people where I live will have to send their kids to private schools just because they're afraid their kids will have to live with mostly people that look a lot different than them and come from a very different culture. My relatives live in the San Jose area, and there's a lot of Asians there. Some of the schools around them are almost entirely Asian and have really good test scores and in a wealthy area, but not too many Caucasian kids live in many of those neighborhoods or cities (like Milpitas, Cupertino... it's really just all Asians).

However, I think a lot of kids who grow up in America are more accepting of different kinds of people than older adults because our younger population is becoming more mixed, so eventually one day we'll all realize it's a good thing to live around different kinds of people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 02-17-2012, 04:11 PM

5,091 posts, read 2,538,198 times
White people are afraid of black & brown, especially when it comes to their children. There may be more long-winded explanations given to your inquiry, but that's basically how it boils down.

Unread 02-17-2012, 04:26 PM

16,591 posts, read 17,341,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
White people are afraid of black & brown,
Right. That's why I moved from South OC to South Fontana.

Unread 02-17-2012, 05:46 PM

1,458 posts, read 1,048,846 times
Its more complicated than that. The white (and black) population leaving California for the other Western states and the South aren't doing so entirely because they want to avoid living around Mexicans. Housing prices, employment issues and crime are usually cited as the driving force behind the contraction of those two groups in many areas of California. When they do move more recent immigrants replace them in their old communities. New York City wasn't always predominantly Italian, Jewish and Irish and its increasingly become more Caribbean Black, Hispanic and Asian. Even with immigrant groups most prefer to live around their "own kind" and populations remain small in towns and cities until they reach a number where they feel comfortable. Then the population grows rapidly (as is happening with your city). Its human nature, not a white thing.

Unread 02-17-2012, 07:24 PM
Status: "Nations rise and Nations fall...Rip USA." (set 14 days ago)

7,229 posts, read 4,158,678 times
I will spell it out very clearly.......this is what a lot of people parrot on this board anyways.......W***e People are evil......everyone chime in.....come on!!!!

In my opinion, most people are most comfortable living around people who are similar to themselves...not all, but most........I see nothing wrong with this.

Unread 02-17-2012, 07:29 PM

2,192 posts, read 2,656,205 times
That you don't see anything wrong with it is troubling but unfortunately i think you may be right ... that many (most? i don't know) people feel and think as you do.
And i'm one of those people who much prefers to be in a diverse community.
I've lived in homogeneous places and, to me, it's totally creepy.

Unread 02-18-2012, 06:25 AM

1,294 posts, read 654,897 times
OP,
Read American history..Go talk to some folks that are in their 80's and 90's that came here as immigrants. Study up on the waves of immigrants on the east coast. When each new group came they were outcast until they were "Americanized" or the next group came.. At one point pretty much every European group was looked down on.... I know my father was a teenage boy when he immigrated here from Germany in the 30's... Talk about trouble... He was in a fight every day, picked on spit at, you name it, they would not even speak their native tongue in their home, just struggled with learning English, so they would fit in... Before the Germans there were others, the Irish, Italian on and on and on.... Today is no different than then, just people from different places.

It is not about race for most people when choosing where to live and send their kids to school. It is about other things:

I personally do not care about skin color.. But I do care about culture, crime and schools. I want low crime, average or better schools, and culture that I fit in with... For me that is not a suburban, money, success, win, status culture... I prefer more alternative minded, contemplative, dreamer, inventor, artist types, or rural types of cultures.... So an area may have very good schools, yet I do not want to raise kids their because the culture is too aggressive or focused on things I do not value.

Yes, I prefer cultural diversity it makes life interesting...... But I will pick and choose where to live based on the dominant culture... What is the prevailing attitude or vibe of a place matters to me.. It needs to be in sync with my values....

Unread 02-18-2012, 06:58 AM

45,993 posts, read 34,764,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyanideThistles View Post
I don't know if you've noticed, but this has been happening a lot in my city, and even around the whole state and country.

So I live in Northern CA, in Santa Rosa, about 50 minutes north of SF. About 30% of my city is Hispanic, mostly those of Mexican descent, and when I was born in 1993, my city was only roughly ten percent Hispanic people. It grew 300% in less than two decades.

I was reading an article about how there's a lot of "White flight" going on in some schools in my city. The elementary school I attended as a kid, was predominantly Caucasian--80%--and now it's only about 40%. The high school in that area, Piner High, was a very suburban white school at about 80% in the mid-90's, according to an article somewhere I read. Now the school is less than 30% white, and this happened in about 15 years. A lot of schools in my city, everywhere, are mostly Hispanic and the population of white people who have no Hispanic ancestry has dramatically decreased.

Why is that happening? Why do you think many non-Hispanic people are so concerned with sending their children to a predominantly Hispanic school? While many of them may not speak English as a first language, that shouldn't be too much of a problem if the school can properly assist the ESL kids. Sure there are Surenos and Nortenos in those areas but they don't just mess around with a random stranger.

I'm half-Chinese and half-white and growing up in a city with a smaller Asian population I was somewhat accepted in the Mexican-American community that I grew up in as a kid. However, my parents sent me to the white suburban schools across town and I did not really do so well there. A lot of the kids there picked on me, sometimes for just being Asian. When I went to middle school and high school, with way more minorities, they accepted me more and the Latino kids were actually much nicer to me and wanted to be my friend and would protect me. Of course I had some kids messing around with me that were Latinos, but even some that were Asians.

It's weird, because it seems like a lot of white people where I live will have to send their kids to private schools just because they're afraid their kids will have to live with mostly people that look a lot different than them and come from a very different culture. My relatives live in the San Jose area, and there's a lot of Asians there. Some of the schools around them are almost entirely Asian and have really good test scores and in a wealthy area, but not too many Caucasian kids live in many of those neighborhoods or cities (like Milpitas, Cupertino... it's really just all Asians).

However, I think a lot of kids who grow up in America are more accepting of different kinds of people than older adults because our younger population is becoming more mixed, so eventually one day we'll all realize it's a good thing to live around different kinds of people.
you answered your own question: younger people are more accepting because of exposure. BTW, you are showing your prejudice to a degree to say some areas are more Asian and wealthy. I guess this does show we can all be judgemental without even realizing it.

As for people not wanting thier kids in certain enviornments, it often has to with crime rates, quality of schools, etc. And yes, everyone of us, including you, have some prejudices, this is part of human nature. It might be against a certain class of people, a certain color, whether a person is good looking, fat, skinny, educated, not educated, etc.

Nita

Unread 02-18-2012, 08:48 AM

20 posts, read 48,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
White people are afraid of black & brown, especially when it comes to their children. There may be more long-winded explanations given to your inquiry, but that's basically how it boils down.
Your statement is just plain rude, you are making a blanket statement about a whole race. If that was done against any non-white race, people would be screaming racism!
I took my daughter out of her school because some of the other students were giving her a hard time about being white (this was in 3rd grade). The school she is in now is just a racially diverse, yet that is never a problem. Her school is inter-district, meaning students from surrounding towns travel to the school. Her bus ride is an hour each way. It is a commitment on the student's part and their families to go to this school.
The difference between the schools is all attitude. The students in the first school come from homes where most parents have a "ghetto" attitude & dislike white people. In her present school, the kids come from homes where the parents are more concerned about a good education rather than skin color.
I wouldn't want my daughter in an all white school, I'm thankful for her chance at a diverse magnet school. I want her to choose her friends like I do, by their actions not their color.
Please try to understand it's not all about whites scared of others, we need to teach our children(of every color) respect and understanding for others.

Unread 02-18-2012, 09:04 AM

26,365 posts, read 49,314,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyanideThistles View Post
d.

Why is that happening?

Why do you think many non-Hispanic people are so concerned with sending their children to a predominantly Hispanic school?

shouldn't be too much of a problem if the school can properly assist the ESL kids. Sure there are Surenos and Nortenos in those areas but they don't just mess around with a random stranger.

When I went to middle school and high school, with way more minorities, they accepted me more and the Latino kids were actually much nicer to me and wanted to be my friend and would protect me. Of course I had some kids messing around with me that were Latinos, but even some that were Asians.

A couple of things. It may not be entirely white flight. It might simple be outward growth.
Percentage of ESL kids strongly correlates with reduced standardized test scores. People look at scores and assume bad school when the teachers are the same, the facilities are the same etc but the peers are not the same (as those in the non ESL suburbs).

Why were kids nicer to you in high school? One reason is middle school is about the age when kids are really jerks. Elementary school, kids are too innocent and naive to be jerks. In High school, it is too uncool to be jerks. Being cool is cool.

Finally, there's the human desire to live amongst people of their own kind. It's simply human nature - probably some ancient survival psychology.

There are probably a lot of Asians in those private schools too. Is the percentage of white kids in the private school higher than it is in the public schools? You didn't mention that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California