U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 02-21-2012, 04:58 PM
509 509 started this thread

1,124 posts, read 1,627,554 times

Advertisements

Well, natural gas is so much more expensive than electricity that hardly any homes have it. The older parts of towns built prior to 1950 have natural gas in some cases.

However, after the counties took over the power companies in the 1950's and started providing electricity natural gas fell by the wayside. I suspect less than 5% of homes even has access to natural gas in north-central Washington.

Given the current surplus of electricity I just do not see how natural gas can compete.

I never did think our use of electricity was that high, but given forced-air electric furnance, electric water heater, and electric stove it probably gets up there in winter.

We have a four month heating season, a four month season where we do not need heat or cooling, and a four month air conditioning season when temperatures hit 90-100 degrees every day.

So I went back and recomputed my previous bills:

Winter (Chelan County PUD 3714 KW at $100.28) PGE ($1,131.14)
Spring& Fall (Chelan County PUD @ 900 KW at $24.30) PGE ($126.58)
Summer (Chelan County PUD 1800 KW at $48.60) PGE ($337.03)

So that's some what better California rates for spring and fall are only 5X our rates and for summer they are 7X our rates. Better than 11X for winter.

So things aren't quite as bad in Callifornia as I first thought.
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2012, 05:23 PM
Status: "I twa hae run about the braes and pou'd the gowans fine." (set 1 day ago)

20,852 posts, read 13,692,829 times
Explains everything. The biggest reason your rates are some of the lowest in the country is based on the fact that a PUD provides your power instead of a IUO.

Old 02-21-2012, 06:14 PM

17,504 posts, read 14,192,247 times
I use fire wood and propane.

Old 02-21-2012, 06:49 PM

1,522 posts, read 1,853,246 times
God you complain a lot.

Old 02-21-2012, 09:17 PM
509 509 started this thread

1,124 posts, read 1,627,554 times
w
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogdad View Post
Explains everything. The biggest reason your rates are some of the lowest in the country is based on the fact that a PUD provides your power instead of a IUO.
Sort of.....what it means in 1950 Puget Power said that they would NOT provide power to rural residents since it was too expensive. So the counties condemned their facilities and built the PUD's and provided power to the rural residents in north-central Washington.

In the late 90's Verizon said no way are we going to provide fiber to rural residents....so the people said ********* we will build our own fiber system.

So why is everybody in California so passive about their future?? When I lived here in the 60's and early 70's this was the place where everything happened FIRST. Now California is a third world country.

Elect some people that care about people. Stop the crony crap investing in dead end technologies like high speed trains and windmills.

Old 02-22-2012, 01:19 AM

14,236 posts, read 26,565,661 times
Very rare to find all electric homes in the Bay Area... I do know a few subdivision that had bronze plaques stating the homes are all electric built in the early 60's...

The tiered electricity rates are only the start... there are many options that also factor in the mix such as time of use, type of heating, etc...

When I add up the higher tier with the corresponding taxes and fees and divide by the Kw it is about 33 cents a kilowatt... very high indeed.

Also, many folks in Western WA supplement with wood... this is not possible in the Bay Area... never fails when the weather is at it coldest... there are spare the air alerts that prohibit wood heat... makes no difference if you own the latest EPA certified clean burn stove and use seasoned, split hardwood...

Old 02-22-2012, 10:42 AM
Status: "I twa hae run about the braes and pou'd the gowans fine." (set 1 day ago)

20,852 posts, read 13,692,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 509 View Post
w

Sort of.....what it means in 1950 Puget Power said that they would NOT provide power to rural residents since it was too expensive. So the counties condemned their facilities and built the PUD's and provided power to the rural residents in north-central Washington.

In the late 90's Verizon said no way are we going to provide fiber to rural residents....so the people said ********* we will build our own fiber system.

So why is everybody in California so passive about their future?? When I lived here in the 60's and early 70's this was the place where everything happened FIRST. Now California is a third world country.

Elect some people that care about people. Stop the crony crap investing in dead end technologies like high speed trains and windmills.
Your preaching to the choir.

I am very aware of PUD's and the politics of creating one. I have been supporting monetarily and politically to make this happen:

South San Joaquin Irrigation District takeover feasible - Local - Modbee.com (http://www.modbee.com/2011/12/03/1973093/report-ssjid-takeover-feasible.html - broken link)

Old 02-22-2012, 10:46 AM

17,504 posts, read 14,192,247 times
High Speed Data card from Sprint that you didn't purchase cause you are cheap : $40.99
Free internet from the local fast food virus incubator: $0
Using free internet to whine that it isn't fast enough for your liking? PRICELESS

Old 02-22-2012, 11:57 AM

6,199 posts, read 11,685,137 times
WPPSS!...... Electricity too cheap to meter. Most of the electricity in WA comes from hydro (or did) which is why the big aluminum smelters were (may still be) in Eastern WA.

When I first moved to WA in '79 I paid $.06/kwh I think when I left 9 years later it was near $.30/kwh.

Old 02-22-2012, 12:32 PM

14,236 posts, read 26,565,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMenscha View Post
WPPSS!...... Electricity too cheap to meter. Most of the electricity in WA comes from hydro (or did) which is why the big aluminum smelters were (may still be) in Eastern WA.

When I first moved to WA in '79 I paid $.06/kwh I think when I left 9 years later it was near $.30/kwh.
Much news in WA about some of the older Hydro Plants being taken out for Salmon...

I know folks there where it is not uncommon to have a $800+ electric bill in January and $60 in June...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California