U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Halloween!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
 
 
Old 02-24-2012, 02:54 PM
 
413 posts, read 548,165 times
Reputation: 179
Not surprised about that. They're just jealous. Nice weather, diversity of the geography and all that stuff. Of course, the government sucks but a native Californian doesn't suck.
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-24-2012, 03:29 PM
 
Location: LBC
3,093 posts, read 1,694,317 times
Reputation: 2159
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunDevil1212 View Post
What of them? The type of conservative you are describing is equally as annoying, ignorant, and close-minded as the progressive brand. We are talking about why people dislike California. I gave my theory specific to California, and that's all. Did I ever say red-state America was free of hypocrisy or narrow-minded thinking? Of course not - quite the opposite if you had actually read what I said. Do you care to actually address my original point (rather than deflect to the obvious shortcomings of the other party)?

PS - I'm not a Republican. You might be shocked to know that you can criticize liberals/Democrats without being a part of the "evil" GOP.
My apologies for calling you a Republican. That was way out of line. However, you're likewise assuming I'm a liberal/Democrat, but I’m not going to feign offense. Regardless, I assure you I will do what I can to prevent your assignment the re-education gulag in Marin County.

If this is your original point:

"Unfortunately, a minority of people are the most vocal and happen to hold many important positions, so they give the state a bad reputation."

Then I disagree 1) those electeds necessarily represent a minority of the population (because they are so consistently and overwhelmingly elected), and 2) that are they the most vocal. Who is setting such an adversarial tenor in the public dialogue? John Chiang, or John & Ken?

Idiot politicians come in many stripes and it seems we are stuck with the two-party system. If one of those parties has made itself a permanent political minority unwilling to moderate the tone of the debate to the satisfaction of a incredibly vocal but minority voting block or incapable to offering an acceptable alternative to the prevailing party, maybe it would be helpful to examine what, if anything, that party stands actually for, rather than assigning blame solely to members of the party that keeps winning more votes.

Last edited by nslander; 02-24-2012 at 03:55 PM..
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-24-2012, 03:57 PM
 
Location: Huntington Beach, CA
5,334 posts, read 5,969,225 times
Reputation: 3152
They hate us out of Envy and Fear.

Envious because of good weather, economic engine (which is sputtering these days, needs a good tune) and our perceived devil may care life style.

Fearful because they think California is spreading Marxist Politics, Liberalism, Socialism, Paganism, Mormonism, Atheism and Trader Joe's through out the country because California controls the mainstream media. (don't believe me? -talk to some dumbarse Missouri redneck and you will be amazed what they think.)

I'm glad that those who can't cut it here are leaving.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-24-2012, 04:02 PM
 
Location: San Francisco
331 posts, read 358,751 times
Reputation: 306
My comment on the vocal minority was more a side-note than anything. To clarify, my main point related to the poll in the original post - I believe that there are a lot of people that dislike California because there are a lot of snobbish/arrogant liberal types here that like to think they know better than everyone else. And again, I'd like to point out that I don't think people necessarily dislike that the state is liberal, they dislike the arrogant, elitist, "we know better than you" mentality that for whatever reason seems to be unique to California. Like I said, New York has plenty of liberals but they don't seem to flaunt it in quite the same fashion as you see in California (exhibit A here is Nancy Pelosi, exhibit B is Hollywood types like Sean Penn). When you talk to these people, you realize some Californians genuinely see conservatism in others as some sort of mental deficiency (no joke) rather than simply a difference of opinion, which is really just revolting to me. Disagreement is fine. But at least know why you disagree, recognize the merits of alternative views, and don't simply dismiss your opponents as "backwards" or "uneducated."

I live in the heavily-politicized city of San Francisco (and lived briefly in Berkeley) so perhaps this is more on my radar than some people that live in other parts of the state. The amount of vitriol directed towards conservatives here is really kind of crazy and just as rabid as the anti-liberal sentiment that comes out of rural areas in the South - this all coming from people who fashion themselves as open-minded. I identify with with liberals on a whole lot of issues, but the way alternative viewpoints (i.e. conservative viewpoints) are so often dismissed here without an ounce of critical thought almost makes me embarrassed to agree with them. Which is probably why I'm here in this forum ripping into them despite the fact I agree with them more than red-state America who obviously holds California in such low esteem.

Last edited by SunDevil1212; 02-24-2012 at 04:18 PM..
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-24-2012, 04:06 PM
 
Location: Hills & Hollers of the Aux Arcs
18,953 posts, read 15,719,792 times
Reputation: 16811
Quote:
Originally Posted by DinsdalePirahna View Post
They hate us out of Envy and Fear.

Envious because of good weather, economic engine (which is sputtering these days, needs a good tune) and our perceived devil may care life style.

Fearful because they think California is spreading Marxist Politics, Liberalism, Socialism, Paganism, Mormonism, Atheism and Trader Joe's through out the country because California controls the mainstream media. (don't believe me? -talk to some dumbarse Missouri redneck and you will be amazed what they think.)

I'm glad that those who can't cut it here are leaving.
Actually, the last one moved back to California some time ago and we are all glad you you couldn't cut it here and left. Thank you!
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-24-2012, 04:08 PM
 
Location: San Francisco
331 posts, read 358,751 times
Reputation: 306
To demonstrate my point, see the post one above my previous one^^

"(don't believe me? -talk to some dumbarse Missouri redneck and you will be amazed what they think.)"

As long as Californians believe that every person that doesn't live on a Coast is a backwards redneck, people are going to resent California.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-24-2012, 04:11 PM
 
6,387 posts, read 3,381,592 times
Reputation: 3593
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayAreaHillbilly View Post
Not true.

It is difficult these days to get people from other states to move here unless they are under 30 or you offer them higher than normal pay. Especially those with families ... they are not normally keen about coming here.
Too many fruits and nuts out there, not to mention taxes out the wazzuu.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-24-2012, 04:23 PM
 
Location: Huntington Beach, CA
5,334 posts, read 5,969,225 times
Reputation: 3152
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunDevil1212 View Post
To demonstrate my point, see the post one above my previous one^^

"(don't believe me? -talk to some dumbarse Missouri redneck and you will be amazed what they think.)"

As long as Californians believe that every person that doesn't live on a Coast is a backwards redneck, people are going to resent California.
Actually I'm from new york, and lived in West Virginia for 5 years (and loved it there). Smart people in WV with a huge appreciation for nature and a pride in their state. _

Even better they were not hostile to outsiders, like they were in Missouri. I even worked for the West Virginia Secretary of State (as a yankee from NY!)

There really is a fear in many parts of rural America of Californians. Within a week of living there, some redneck called me a N++er loving, Obama Voting socialist just because I had California plates on my car. That my, my friend is a dumbarse Missouri Redneck, and there are a lot of them just outside the city limits of the major cities.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-24-2012, 04:26 PM
 
Location: Huntington Beach, CA
5,334 posts, read 5,969,225 times
Reputation: 3152
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pretzelogik View Post
Too many fruits and nuts out there, not to mention taxes out the wazzuu.
Taxes buy civilization.

Maybe if middle America instituted a better tax structure for their states, My federal tax dollars would not be used to subsidize their roads, schools etc.

(google donor states vs recipient states)
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-24-2012, 04:29 PM
 
Location: San Francisco
331 posts, read 358,751 times
Reputation: 306
Quote:
Originally Posted by DinsdalePirahna View Post
Actually I'm from new york, and lived in West Virginia for 5 years (and loved it there). Smart people in WV with a huge appreciation for nature and a pride in their state. _

Even better they were not hostile to outsiders, like they were in Missouri. I even worked for the West Virginia Secretary of State (as a yankee from NY!)

There really is a fear in many parts of rural America of Californians. Within a week of living there, some redneck called me a N++er loving, Obama Voting socialist just because I had California plates on my car. That my, my friend is a dumbarse Missouri Redneck, and there are a lot of them just outside the city limits of the major cities.
Perhaps I unfairly criticized you...There are certainly plenty of ignorant people out there, for sure. What I'm trying to say though is that people in California tend to far over-emphasize the size of that sub-population when talking about other parts of the country
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top