U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 03-06-2012, 04:37 PM

18,303 posts, read 14,455,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nullgeo View Post
Now True, you are calling for Holy War here ...

conflicts in the middle east pale ...
when you attempt to advance kale ...
Broccoli! -- All Hail!!

Asparagus and Brussel sprouts are dyn-o-mite ...
but still only disciples of Broccoli.
Asparagus, brussel sprouts and broccoli are wonderful. Cilantro not so much. Kale's good and chard rules. Just don't feed me mushrooms. Don't consider them veggies anyway even if they are in the produce section (and our woods).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2012, 05:09 PM

7,154 posts, read 3,728,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Asparagus, brussel sprouts and broccoli are wonderful. Cilantro not so much. Kale's good and chard rules. Just don't feed me mushrooms. Don't consider them veggies anyway even if they are in the produce section (and our woods).
Only thing I been feeding anybody today are straight lines
*rim shot*

Old 03-06-2012, 08:23 PM

6,390 posts, read 2,859,396 times
I have 100 acres of brussels sprouts out back. I hate'm but the market is way up for them. We have had 5 harvests on them since November. We just harvested the bok choy, people eat that stuff too.

I am a bit simpler, beef beans bread and taters. Drives my wife crazy. Cilantro is grown in this areas, I like the stuff. When you drive by a field the smell permeates the air.

Old 03-07-2012, 01:51 AM

Location: Central Bay Area, CA as of Jan 2010...but still a proud Texan from Houston!
6,976 posts, read 3,681,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nullgeo View Post
Typical blasphemer trickey ... I won't fall for it ...

my cookbook said it
I believe it
that's the end of it

I have to rep 35 people before I can rep you again!

Old 03-07-2012, 05:23 AM

1,494 posts, read 784,620 times
Alright Null... Have it your way...
Brassica's do dominate the house of vegetables, and broccoli she is a looker winning the popularity contest....... But keep in mind variety is the spice of life..

TVC15 brings up a Brassica I downright crave at times... The Brussel sprout! Hmmmm.. Try using Kale as you would Spinach, or I just like to pan fry it in a little oil with apple, onion, and a little cheese, if you are not Vegan..

Back to the brussel sprout.. It is a bit of an endangered species!. Only one or two OP (open pollinated) brussel sprout varieties are available to the home or market grower... That's right soon one will be dependent on having to buy hybrid seed in order to grow Brussels sprouts. For those that do not know, the seed you save from crosses or hybrids, is not consistent, you do not what the quality of the crop will be when you plant from F1 hybrids, you have to spend years, to reselect and break down the cross into an OP variety again..

Highnlite...We will let you off the hook... Reminds me of one of the downfalls of working in industrial Ag. I could not stand eating whatever I was working with for a long time..Being knee deep in whatever crop gets to be too much for a while.. I look with caution at canned and frozen vegetables, but that's nothing compared to workin a large veal farm for a number of years... Won't touch the stuff to this day...

I like to know my food..

Old 03-07-2012, 06:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueTimbers View Post
I like to know my food..
Precisely why we grow most of our own. Ain't nothin' worse or more tasteless than store bought tomaters.

Old 03-07-2012, 07:08 AM

653 posts, read 107,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Precisely why we grow most of our own. Ain't nothin' worse or more tasteless than store bought tomaters.
Right?! I wish I didn't have to work, because all I want to do is grow veggies, cook everything from scratch, swim, and play with the dogs. I think about all the yummy things I could grow and make from scratch (like tofu, vs the store-bought stuff I have to get now) if I had the time.

I'm so envious of those who grow their own food. The closest I can get to that right now is hitting my local farm. At my old house, I grew some things (figs, blueberries, tomatoes, cucumbers, etc), but I'd love to be able to grow nearly all my own food.

Nothing in the world like eating something fresh off the vine.

Old 03-07-2012, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVC15 View Post
Kale is King but I don't know how to create something great with it Hey I just found this! Sounds like it might be tasty!
Sauteed Kale Recipe : Bobby Flay : Food Network I used to buy it from the prepared foods section at the Whole Foods in Houston...they made a very tasty Kale salad with sesame seeds and sesame oil and maybe some garlic. I have not found that at the Whole Foods here.
I know the Kale Salad at Whole Foods you speak of. It's one of my fave things to get when I hit their buffet for lunch. Yummm. Whole Foods puts out a cookbook, so I imagine you could find that recipe online, too.

I make a fabulous dish with kale. Stir fry it with lite soy sauce, cubed extra firm tofu, pine nuts, and water chestnuts. Even non-veg friends come back for more.

The epicurious site is down for maintenance, but my other favorite site is allrecipes. They have some great kale suggestions:
http://allrecipes.com/search/default...in=Home%20Page

Old 03-07-2012, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by .highnlite View Post
I have 100 acres of brussels sprouts out back. I hate'm but the market is way up for them. We have had 5 harvests on them since November. We just harvested the bok choy, people eat that stuff too.
If you ever need to unload any of that, I know a person who knows a person that could take those off your hands

(And by "a person of a person", I mean my tummy. )

Old 03-07-2012, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dclamb3 View Post
Right?! I wish I didn't have to work, because all I want to do is grow veggies, cook everything from scratch, swim, and play with the dogs. I think about all the yummy things I could grow and make from scratch (like tofu, vs the store-bought stuff I have to get now) if I had the time.

I'm so envious of those who grow their own food. The closest I can get to that right now is hitting my local farm. At my old house, I grew some things (figs, blueberries, tomatoes, cucumbers, etc), but I'd love to be able to grow nearly all my own food.

Nothing in the world like eating something fresh off the vine.
Well, being retired helps. The only down-side is you generally have to be somewhat along in years to achieve it.

You can have the homemade tofu; any tofu in fact. I'll stick with the homemade kefir and yogurt. But you're right about eating fresh off the vine. That and cooking from scratch make life worthwhile and winter a bit of a drag, even though we didn't really have one this year - just a single snowfall - oh yeah, and a tornado.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California