Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-27-2012, 11:16 AM

4 posts, read 15,743 times

Advertisements

My family and I are moving to Chico at the end of June. I'm married, have 2 daughters 9 & 11 years with 2 small dogs.

What area/neighborhoods are best to live and raise a family?
What are the best.....public schools? apartments? Townhouses (need 3bdrm at least 1.5bath rent approx. $1000)

Any info you can share about Chico would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks so much!

Last edited by VWMama; 03-27-2012 at 12:06 PM.. Reason: wanted font bigger
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2012, 01:01 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,357,750 times
Chico is "WAY COOL, man." Seriously, it is the ONLY place in the North State worth living. It seems that people who looked like they might have been on "The Brady Bunch" when they were kids now live there as adults. I have no clue what they do, but they don't look like professors. It's among the places that Bay Area and SoCal escapees have scoped out. Lots of things to do near town and in nearby northern California. Appears to have its civic act together.

Old 03-27-2012, 04:51 PM

4,236 posts, read 8,136,274 times
I lived in Chico for three years in the south campus area. The area between Woodland Ave and E. 8th Street is one of Chico’s nicer neighborhoods, but I doubt you’ll find anything for $1000 in that area, because it mostly very showy Craftsman style homes.

Areas to Avoid:

Columbus Avenue and Sacramento Ave (This area is totally ghetto)
Walnut St to W. 9th Street (Not too bad, but rough)

Words of advice:

Don’t move here unless you have a job offer in hand. The area and the people are very nice, but the employment picture is bleak. I so wanted to stay in this area, but the job market is tough. I think it might have to do with a lot of people falling in love with the area while attending CSU Chico.

Old 03-29-2012, 09:36 AM

9,319 posts, read 18,740,820 times
You may want to drive up Skyway to Paradise and see if your budget will go further. The schools there when my kids were little were ok. Nice little mountain/foothill town and we felt the kids were a bit safer up on the ridge than down in Chico. 94969 is the zip and you can go to realtor.com and put in that zip code to see what rentals are available. You will get snow but not too much down in Paradise.

Old 03-29-2012, 10:48 AM

4,932 posts, read 12,755,796 times
You are moving into the store Chico's?

Old 03-29-2012, 11:26 AM

2,190 posts, read 6,849,515 times
look again .... moving to Chico ?'s. perfect.

Old 03-29-2012, 11:46 AM

14,725 posts, read 33,357,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fargobound View Post
Words of advice:

Don’t move here unless you have a job offer in hand. The area and the people are very nice, but the employment picture is bleak. I so wanted to stay in this area, but the job market is tough. I think it might have to do with a lot of people falling in love with the area while attending CSU Chico.
I think there are some people who want to keep reliving their Chico State days. If a person applies themselves, they can get a decent education there, but it's no "brain trust." Along with San Diego State, it would have CA's "party school."

Old 03-30-2012, 04:13 PM

4 posts, read 13,237 times
My info is a couple of years old, my son graduated from Chico State in 2010 but we have thought of moving there. The areas adjacent to the campus are active but rowdy. The further to the east you can go, the more likely you will find appropriate housing. There are nice neighborhoods close into downtown but they are case by case. I believe the schools are well thought of. Downtown is vibrant and active and shopping is good all around. You might look at the outer towns (Orland, Willows, Durham, Paradise and Magalia.) Most are 20 minutes from Chico. You are aware that it gets hot, right?

Old 03-30-2012, 04:34 PM

4,254 posts, read 5,604,186 times
Chico can be a pleasant place to raise a family, even on a low income. I agree with the last commenter about the neighborhoods east of Chico. California Park has a mix of nice homes, apartments and townhouses.

This neighborhood off of E. 1st Ave. has old world charm: small yards but a generous common area.

Old 03-30-2012, 10:35 PM

37,121 posts, read 42,189,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by junkman9096 View Post
My info is a couple of years old, my son graduated from Chico State in 2010 but we have thought of moving there. The areas adjacent to the campus are active but rowdy. The further to the east you can go, the more likely you will find appropriate housing. There are nice neighborhoods close into downtown but they are case by case. I believe the schools are well thought of. Downtown is vibrant and active and shopping is good all around. You might look at the outer towns (Orland, Willows, Durham, Paradise and Magalia.) Most are 20 minutes from Chico. You are aware that it gets hot, right?
My daughter graduated in 2010 as well and I also thought about moving there. Going to visit was always fun and if I were young and going to college that's probably where I'd want to be.

I know it has problems but it's nice all around.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California