Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2012, 10:49 AM

6,957 posts, read 22,300,551 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04kL4nD View Post
People hate California because they are jealous they have to live in boring and awful states
Beat me to it. With a capital J.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2012, 11:13 AM

4,576 posts, read 9,158,614 times
Combination of disgruntled former residents and people who don't know much about the state.

Disgruntled former residents is self explanitory. Just read crumudgeon's posts.

People who don't know anything about the state is a huge one.

I was at a Chicago cubs game once in my SF giants gear at wrigley field. Some random chick came up to me and my wife and told us just how much she *hated* california. I asked her if she had ever been there. Her reply was, "Well no, but everyone there thinks they're better than everyone else".

Don't get me wrong there is some truth to that statement, but there is just as much of a humble population as there is smug. I really don't see how she could have come to that conclusion, unless she took everything she heard on TV as Dogma.

And that's not to say Californians don't do the same, plenty of Californians who still believe the TV when someone on there suggests that "everyone" wants to live here.

Old 03-03-2012, 01:42 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,835,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCal Dude View Post
Combination of disgruntled former residents and people who don't know much about the state.

Disgruntled former residents is self explanitory. Just read crumudgeon's posts.

People who don't know anything about the state is a huge one.

I was at a Chicago cubs game once in my SF giants gear at wrigley field. Some random chick came up to me and my wife and told us just how much she *hated* california. I asked her if she had ever been there. Her reply was, "Well no, but everyone there thinks they're better than everyone else".

Don't get me wrong there is some truth to that statement, but there is just as much of a humble population as there is smug. I really don't see how she could have come to that conclusion, unless she took everything she heard on TV as Dogma.

And that's not to say Californians don't do the same, plenty of Californians who still believe the TV when someone on there suggests that "everyone" wants to live here.
All you have to do is say "You're a Cubs fan."

Malcontents love talking smack about CA. Inadvertently broadcasting their deep discontent.

Old 03-03-2012, 11:10 PM

28,113 posts, read 63,638,166 times
It's not all roses here and that is just the reality...

Do your homework and be realistic in your expectations and talent.

People come here all the time and succeed... People also leave and surprisingly... quite a few return... kind of the grass is greener syndrome.

Some people outside the state are very resentful of the power California has to shape things nationally... this state was the first on many fronts that eventually went nationwide...

Sounds like you are well grounded and ready to take the plunge...

If you are bringing in a car from out of state... you probably should familiarize yourself with the requirements to do so... I have heard more than a few recent arrivals go ballistic when they run afoul of the CA DMV...

Old 03-05-2012, 03:48 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,388,424 times
Actually ... one of the reasons people don't like CA is because of the notion that CA is on the leading edge of everything - good, bad or neutral.

People see the bad trends and blame us.

Old 03-05-2012, 04:41 PM

484 posts, read 821,890 times
No other state is as geographically diverse and beautiful as California, and we have enormous political, cultural, and financial clout. No wonder those from the hinterlands are jealous.

Old 03-05-2012, 05:00 PM

434 posts, read 684,359 times
I grew up in Sacramento, and graduated from CSU, Chico. I lived in NoCal for 32 years, and have lived in the Great Plains for a total of 14 years. This is my second tour in the Midwest. I chose to leave California a second time because it is too populated, the economy is a roller coaster ride, and the politicians can't get much accomplished (I hate the initiative process). That said, it is my home and there are aspects of it that I will always miss. Where I live now suffers from long, cold winters (think -50 wind chills) and enjoys short but really nice summers.

The roads aren't congested. If you have 10 miles to drive to get somewhere, it will take about 10 minutes to get there, 20 miles about 20 minutes, etc. I leave my doors unlocked except when I go to bed at night. And the economy has been stable (about 4.5 -5.0% unemployment since 2008).

Basically, what I enjoy about California (great restaurants, near the Pac. Ocean, a dynamic society) doesn't exist here in great abundances. But what I like about living here, doesn't exist in California (clean air, congestion-free roads, and low crime rates). I guess you should pick the attributes that appeal to you most.

Old 03-05-2012, 06:12 PM

1,118 posts, read 2,286,002 times
Anti-California sentiment here in New York runs far deeper for Los Angeles than for San Francisco, but it's still there. I'd argue it's mainly the people, not the actual place (although the lack of public transportation will always be a joke for those of us with extensive 24/7 subway access). The stereotype of Californians, one that's relatively true at least from my experience, is just so dynamically opposite of what New Yorkers and the like thrive on, mainly that Californians seem to be very relaxed, slow, casual, and overly new-age to the point of almost ridiculousness. Now that's an exaggeration, but there's definitely some truth in that. I was in the Bay Area, mainly San Francisco, this January and remember service at every restaurant taking forever, slow drivers even not during rush hour, and people in offices with jeans and such (although that's not true for the financial sector). For some people, that's great, but for impatient and stimulant-driven New Yorkers like me, it gets annoying really quickly.

Old 03-05-2012, 06:45 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,835,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geoking66 View Post
For some people, that's great, but for impatient and stimulant-driven New Yorkers like me, it gets annoying really quickly.
But see, if you accept an attribute like impatience, aren't you automatically setting yourself up for failure? Gets squarely in the way of contentment, something everybody seeks to some degree. Hard to get there, though, if one is constantly bombarded by "stimulant-driven" distractions and annoyances. Leaves one trembling, on edge, with a short fuse.

Many people move to west coast to escape the stress, at least enough to feel reasonably relaxed. And not get flipped off at the intersection.

Old 03-05-2012, 06:58 PM

1,118 posts, read 2,286,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdumbgod View Post
But see, if you accept an attribute like impatience, aren't you automatically setting yourself up for failure? Gets squarely in the way of contentment, something everybody seeks to some degree. Hard to get there, though, if one is constantly bombarded by "stimulant-driven" distractions and annoyances. Leaves one trembling, on edge, with a short fuse.

Many people move to west coast to escape the stress, at least enough to feel reasonably relaxed. And not get flipped off at the intersection.
The reason I like New York is that I'm energised by 24/7 life, and yes that does set me up for failure in a way, but I accept it because I love that city so much and it fits me very well. Not saying that the San Francisco way of life is bad by any means, but it just doesn't fit me at all. But I think there's something to be said for needing near-constant stimulus, it keeps you going and drives the creative process very differently than the more relaxed West Coast lifestyle does (they can both lead to good results, but in a very different manner and different purposes). Part of the problem is that East Coasters in particular see that way of life as lazy or not driven/motivated, and it turns into derision. I'm pretty guilty of falling into that trap to an extent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California