U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 05-02-2013, 08:15 PM

31,708 posts, read 17,377,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
Apparently, people who live in flyspeck states such as NJ find it difficult to wrap their heads around the varied climactic conditions of the big states.
Wait, there's a dark green color along the middle coast that's not explained. What's that? Fog belt?
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2013, 08:18 PM

681 posts, read 108,281 times
That's the liberal zone, plainly marked. Seems to include Stockton though...

They get their own climate, they are special like that up there.

Old 05-02-2013, 08:22 PM

16,587 posts, read 19,732,201 times
ATTN R4T: Also along the So Cal coast, where most of the people live. The dark green areas within the light green represent Köppen climate classification csb, the lighter green csa.

Old 05-02-2013, 09:29 PM

3,368 posts, read 1,767,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sierravillian View Post
It is helpful to know that California is a thousand miles long, and has all the weather types found in any other state, aside from the high humidity common to the East in the summer. Hundreds of thousands if not millions of Californias live in a climate similar to the North east states, without the long gray periods in the winter and the dreadful high humidity in the summer.

You are not the only person to confuse Los Angeles with California.
Thanks, everybody, for the geography lesson, but I know about California and its varied climate/land. Unfortunately, Californians are still the way I described them (especially those in Southern CA) so who really cares how big and diverse the state is? Just look how eager you were to inform me how big your state is, as if I've never heard before from elsewhere.

I have personal experience in this. I have friends/family in CA and they all like to brag about the weather. And the state's size. Newsflash: other places have desirable weather. It just depends on what you like. Another newsflash: New Jersey is a fraction of the size of CA and has almost all that CA has to offer, including varied climate, mountains, famous beaches/summer destinations (and no I don't mean that Jersey Shore MTV crap), state parks, the Pine Barrens, and the country's (and one of the world's) most famous cities right across the river on its east side, and another major city right across the river on its west side. So you're not the only ones living in such a great, wonderful, diverse land.

The people I know and were referring to are from Orange County, LA County and some barren desert county, and another is from Sacramento actually, which is northern (yes I know that I wasn't born yesterday). My friend from Sacramento says that her area gets nothing like it does here in NJ/NY weather wise and she has absolutely no clue what to do when we get even an inch of snow (she now lives here - actually they all do, except those living in the desert). So in my experience, with my friends from different parts of CA, people aren't used to four seasons or a severely humid/cold climate. So no need to jump down my throat or pass me off as not knowing what I'm talking about. Perhaps I should have been more specific, but there you have it. And despite how they can get, telling me how great CA is all the time, they're still my friends. And it's fine because I get to drag their poor lost souls around New York as they complain about how unfriendly we all are here and how confusing the subway is

Last edited by JerseyGirl415; 05-02-2013 at 09:40 PM..

Old 05-02-2013, 09:39 PM

7,151 posts, read 4,155,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
Thanks, everybody, for the geography lesson, but I know about California and its varied climate/land. Unfortunately, Californians are still the way I described them (especially those in Southern CA) so who really cares how big and diverse the state is?

I have personal experience in this. I have friends/family in CA and they all like to brag about the weather. And the state's size. Newsflash: other places have desirable weather. It just depends on what you like. Another newsflash: New Jersey is a fraction of the size of CA and has almost all that CA has to offer, including varied climate, mountains, beaches, state parks, the Pine Barrens, and the country's (and one of the world's) most famous cities right across the river on its east side, and another major city right across the river on its west side. So you're not the only ones living in such a great, wonderful, diverse land.

The people I know and were referring to are from Orange County, LA County and some barren desert county, and another is from Sacramento actually, which is northern (yes I know that I wasn't born yesterday). My friend from Sacramento says that her area gets nothing like it does here in NJ/NY weather wise and she has absolutely no clue what to do when we get even an inch of snow. So in my experience, with my friends from different parts of CA, people aren't used to four seasons or a severely humid/cold climate. So no need to jump down my throat or pass me off as not knowing what I'm talking about. Perhaps I should have been more specific, but there you have it.
Well I guess that a wrap then ... your half dozen or so friends / family equal 37 million Californians' experience and personalities.

Listen friend -- and I don't mean to be snarky, really -- I grew up in Philly and know Jersey like the back of my hand ... all you mention: the Pine Barrens, sailing the bay at Ocean City, the Big Apple ... and of course, who would forget to mention the Garden State's Garden of Eden town: Camden!

By any stretch of the world's biggest imagination, Jersey's 8,721 sq mi cannot compare in any slight way to California's 163,696 sq mi. Let's start with comparing mountains, shall we? Oh wait ......

Old 05-02-2013, 09:41 PM

New Jersey is beautiful! I love the area near the PA border, around Lambertville. And I would definitely include Sacramento in the "severely humid" category. The map above inaccurately includes the Central Valley in the "Mediterranean Climate Zone", which the Central Valley (incl. Sac'to) definitely is not. Oh well.

Old 05-02-2013, 09:42 PM

16,587 posts, read 19,732,201 times
JG415, you made the mistake of lumping characteristics of the GLAMA on to your trowel, then slathering that mortar over the whole state. That will always result in a correction being issued to you here in the CALIFORNIA forum. Just a fact of life here in CALIFORNIA.

Old 05-02-2013, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Thanks, everybody, for the geography lesson, but I know about California and its varied climate/land. Unfortunately, Californians are still the way I described them (especially those in Southern CA) so who really cares how big and diverse the state is?
Hmmmm ... I would guess that the 15 million or so Californians that don't live in SoCal probably care ...
Quote:
Just look how eager you were to inform me how big your state is, as if I've never heard before from elsewhere.
Well, contrary to some jokes, studies have shown that size DOES matter ...

Old 05-02-2013, 09:55 PM

You know what else is kinda interesting about Californians? (You know: those egotistical, self-absorbed left-coasters?) I have never run across one posting negative comments about Jersey defensively in the NJ forum ... strange huh ...

Yet people from many other states show up on the California forum to weigh in on what a screwy place it is all the way out here on the Pacific.

Old 05-02-2013, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nullgeo View Post
You know what else is kinda interesting about Californians? (You know: those egotistical, self-absorbed left-coasters?) I have never run across one posting negative comments about Jersey defensively in the NJ forum ... strange huh ...

Yet people from many other states show up on the California forum to weigh in on what a screwy place it is all the way out here on the Pacific.
That's true. I think I made a similar observation some pages back, responding to someone from NYC, or somewhere...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California