Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-20-2013, 01:31 AM

Location: Central Bay Area, CA as of Jan 2010...but still a proud Texan from Houston!
7,484 posts, read 10,415,891 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by UB50 View Post
I don't think Manhattan Beach has the nicest beach in the world (it's cold). It does have a great "lifestyle" though. Lots of great places to walk to, nice restaurants and pretty views.
Here is the spectacular Montara Beach...but the water is cold!

http://www.city-data.com/forum/membe...tara-beach.jpg
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2013, 02:16 PM

3,530 posts, read 5,116,146 times
[quote=TVC15;31880808]I was just about to add no one is complaining about the weather in Galveston between Oct and April.

Didn't you chastise me for presuming to know what Texans are thinking? Or, is that only wrong if someone presumes Texans have a negative perception of something?

Old 10-20-2013, 02:24 PM

9,725 posts, read 15,129,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVC15 View Post
Here is the spectacular Montara Beach...but the water is cold!

http://www.city-data.com/forum/membe...tara-beach.jpg
It looks beautiful. I had to go look it up after you first mentioned it. Isn't that where they hold the Mavericks surfing contest? Or close to it? It must be really awesome to look at the water when the big waves come in.

By the way, Manhattan Beach isn't really a touristy beach town. I don't believe it has any big hotels on the beach or anything like that.

Last edited by UB50; 10-20-2013 at 02:32 PM..

Old 10-20-2013, 03:23 PM

Location: Central Bay Area, CA as of Jan 2010...but still a proud Texan from Houston!
7,484 posts, read 10,415,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UB50 View Post
It looks beautiful. I had to go look it up after you first mentioned it. Isn't that where they hold the Mavericks surfing contest? Or close to it? It must be really awesome to look at the water when the big waves come in.

By the way, Manhattan Beach isn't really a touristy beach town. I don't believe it has any big hotels on the beach or anything like that.
The Mavericks contest is held 7 miles south of this beach at Half Moon Bay. This year my partner and I visited Montara Beach a few days before the contest and the waves were 12 feet high. It was the most amazing thing I have ever seen at Montara Beach.

No I would not say that it is a touristy town. Not many folks seem to know about this beach (fine by me ). However there are a few scattered hotels near this beach and 7 miles down the Pacific Highway, Half Moon Bay has a few hotels and the very expensive Ritz Carlton. http://www.ritzcarlton.com/en/Proper...r_banner_hafrz

Old 10-24-2013, 02:00 AM

29,972 posts, read 18,814,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HereOnMars View Post
That's interesting that you think California's property taxes are so high. They aren't even in the top 10 states for high taxes. We pay approximately 1.25% of the purchase price and it can only increase a maximum of 2% a year. I'm sure New Jersey and New Hampshire can't boast about that. Of course, if people want to buy a mcmansion, they'll pay higher taxes and if they can afford that, they can afford the taxes. Check out some of these other states.
Just to clarify what I was trying to say, I said "high real estate and taxes." I was referring to the high cost of real estate and high taxes meaning the combination of income tax, property tax, sales tax, etc...not just the high cost of property tax. For me, the income tax combined with expensive real estate has prevented me from moving to California and my job has allowed me to basically live anywhere I want to. Property taxes as a percentage of the house value is not particularly high in Cali compared to the nation.

Old 12-14-2013, 08:40 PM

5 posts, read 7,467 times
hey you guys out there I am trying to figure out a perfect nicknames for those lames californians I lived here and was born here well not my whole life but I heard of some and knew some and let me tell you folks one thing I use to drive truck threw that state and I say that california was the most disrespected state in the world I have no pleasure of going back unless the pricks leave other wise I am O U T. Arizona use to be the most respectful state until that stupid goverment and everyone else screw it up so now we are stuck with those morons on the road now and I have to deal with it thank you very much I now live in phoenix I want to move apahce I don't mind the weather and well I am back in my home state so I am happy I was born in the white mountains where we were taught respect unlike some

Old 12-14-2013, 08:42 PM

5,390 posts, read 9,648,818 times
um, ppl dont hate california.
Everyone loves it and wants to be in california.

Old 12-14-2013, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OptimusPrime69 View Post
um, ppl dont hate california.
Everyone loves it and wants to be in california.
ha not me and I know arizona got some nick names for those californian Indiana call california yuppies and me I don't like the people there so nope not me count me out I rather live in my home state

Old 12-14-2013, 08:50 PM

19,148 posts, read 16,549,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfhatten View Post
ha not me and I know arizona got some nick names for those californian Indiana call california yuppies and me I don't like the people there so nope not me count me out I rather live in my home state
And isn't it great that you can and no one will force you to live here?

Old 12-14-2013, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HereOnMars View Post
And isn't it great that you can and no one will force you to live here?
I agree with that I went threw here when I was driving truck and man I never saw so many disrespectful people in that state its very pretty but the people are very rude
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California