Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-25-2014, 01:33 PM

13,827 posts, read 29,939,634 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8to32characters View Post
But I will have know that people from Oregon, especially Portland, are, generally speaking, the most bizarre human beings in the United States and maybe even the world, so who really cares what those weirdos think anyway?
I do business with people in Portland and Eugene, and while I tend to agree that Portlanders are an, ahem, unique bunch, I have never, in my 25 years traveling through there (or Oregon) felt any sort of disdain as a Californian (though I have seen the bumper stickers/etc).

I think downstate Oregonians are among the friendliest/most helpful people in the world.

Old 06-25-2014, 02:34 PM

2,821 posts, read 3,538,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aguilar View Post
I do business with people in Portland and Eugene, and while I tend to agree that Portlanders are an, ahem, unique bunch, I have never, in my 25 years traveling through there (or Oregon) felt any sort of disdain as a Californian (though I have seen the bumper stickers/etc).

I think downstate Oregonians are among the friendliest/most helpful people in the world.
Thats because you are just visiting. I was born and raised in CA and moved to Tigard, OR (right outside of Portland) for 2 years and they do indeed hate people from CA, especially southern CA. Even people in the church I went to wouldn't speak to me because they knew I had moved up. This was in 1997, don't know if its changed much but I would suspect not. Anyways, I still made plenty of friends and loved it up there. I would move back in a second if not for the crap weather half the year....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2014, 03:21 PM

19,208 posts, read 16,696,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbell75 View Post
Thats because you are just visiting. I was born and raised in CA and moved to Tigard, OR (right outside of Portland) for 2 years and they do indeed hate people from CA, especially southern CA. Even people in the church I went to wouldn't speak to me because they knew I had moved up. This was in 1997, don't know if its changed much but I would suspect not. Anyways, I still made plenty of friends and loved it up there. I would move back in a second if not for the crap weather half the year....

I know how they feel. I am a native of California and I don't like people from southern CA, either.

Okay. That's not true but I just couldn't resist.

I've been to Oregon quite a few times and always meet the nicest people. A lot of them are former residents of California so that might be why.

Old 06-25-2014, 03:24 PM

256 posts, read 321,027 times
I never really had a problem in Portland, but it probably helps that we never drive when we are there. We rely mainly on the awesome public transit they have up there. Our problem was in a small diner in Medford. We even called the management a few days later (because we were told there was no management there the day were visiting), but they didn't seem to concerned.

I'll admit that Texans are jealous of California. Texans, in general, believe they deserve the attention, but nobody draws more interest than a Californian. My mom hated that attention when she moved to Texas. Now, you would never know that this woman was born and raised in the Inland Empire.

Old 06-25-2014, 06:38 PM

9,961 posts, read 17,524,172 times
Portland isn't really like the rest of Oregon these days--for the most part Portland is a city of transplants, so while people might pay lip service to talking about Californians--most people don't seem to care that much, even people who grow up here. In some parts of the suburbs it doesn't matter so much either. A lot of Washington County is full of ex-Californians who work at Intel and Nike.

It's out in the outer suburbs or more rural country where people really have strong opinions though. But most are too mild mannered to really let you know they feel that way for the most part. Some Southern Oregon people might have that attitude, but in general people are friendly and the whole southern third might as well be part of Northern California.

The worst people though are people who transplanted from somewhere else and then proceed to talk smack about people from California. The provincial hicks and "6th generation" Oregonians, I'll humor and play down the fact of where I was born--but people who move from other parts of the country and then adopt this attitude I'll call out for the dumb hypocrites that they are

The funny thing is that while I was born in California I've lived here for almost 15 years now(actually almost as long as the 16 years I spent in California). The people who might hold it against me for where I was born are as dumb and bigoted as someone who hates someone for being from Mexico or China or anywhere else. The funny thing is that plenty of people I know grew up in Oregon and moved to California and are completely cool with both places--it's the yokels though who don't know the difference between Butte County and Burbank and never travelled anywhere who like to imagine they know anything about California and talk down everyone from there. Half the time I've told people where I'm from in California they think I'm from Los Angeles and would be a Lakers fan--when I actually grew up in Northern California and spent more time on trips in Oregon growing up then I ever did in Southern California.

Last edited by Deezus; 06-25-2014 at 06:54 PM..

Old 06-26-2014, 07:14 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,843,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlloyd87 View Post
My wife and I have decided that our California license plate never does us any favors when I go home to visit my parents.
Just about any state in flyover has legions of police departments that insist on pulling over cars with CA plates on the interstate or in town. Why? Because they surely are running drugs through our fair county! Why else would they be there? (Hate these guys: As if it doesn't take long enough do drive across plains states).

Kind of like being caught wandering while white in the ghetto.

Old 06-26-2014, 10:48 PM

1,640 posts, read 2,657,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdumbgod View Post
Just about any state in flyover has legions of police departments that insist on pulling over cars with CA plates on the interstate or in town. Why? Because they surely are running drugs through our fair county! Why else would they be there? (Hate these guys: As if it doesn't take long enough do drive across plains states).

Why, on God's emerald green earth, are you driving across flyover country on a regular basis? If you live in San Jose, I'm gonna assume you're not a trucker.

Old 06-27-2014, 05:38 AM

7,010 posts, read 11,976,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdumbgod View Post

Then perhaps you should FLY over it instead of driving through it.

Old 06-27-2014, 02:21 PM

13,827 posts, read 29,939,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdAilment View Post
Then perhaps you should FLY over it instead of driving through it.
I saw a commercial yesterday promoting Nebraska, and it used the "look at what you are flying over" gimmick to get people to visit.

It used a lot of footage similar to this:

Nebraska From Above - Best Highlights Montage (HD) - YouTube

Old 06-27-2014, 03:18 PM

256 posts, read 321,027 times
I'm pretty sure most of the things shown in that video I can get right here in California. Nice try, Nebraska..

I will go visit Omaha once for the College World Series, but that's about it.

I'm sure that mentality has nothing to do with why non-Californians hate people like me..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California