Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-13-2012, 06:44 PM

793 posts, read 1,342,526 times

Advertisements

Chill, dude.

I lived in CA. for 20 something years. I'll make all the comparisons I want.

People in other states aren't acting hysterically towards you. Honestly, most of them could give a rat's ass about California. But, if they're questioned, well...what can I say? Read this thread.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2012, 06:46 PM

793 posts, read 1,342,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fizbin View Post
The high point of CA education was 1978, 'cause that's the year we insanely screwed ourselves royally for decades to come with Prop 13. Public education at all levels has taken a direct path to the crapper ever since, getting worse with every passing year . . .
Oh, I'm well aware of this...and it was the main reason why I moved out of the state before my children reached school age.

BTW, my last post was for the drama queen above you.

Old 03-13-2012, 07:59 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,666,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fizbin View Post
The high point of CA education was 1978, 'cause that's the year we insanely screwed ourselves royally for decades to come with Prop 13. Public education at all levels has taken a direct path to the crapper ever since, getting worse with every passing year . . .
I couldn't disagree more...

If this was the case how can you account for the outstanding public schools found around the State almost 35 years after the voters made Prop 13 law?

And Prop 13 doesn't even apply to school construction/infrastructure.

The real demise of Public Education can be directly traced to the Serrano Decision stating a property-tax based finance system for public schools was unconstitutional.

The California Constitution required the legislature to provide a free public school system for each district, and the Fourteenth Amendment of the United States Constitution (which includes the Equal Protection Clause) required that all states provide to all citizens equal protection of the law.

Previously, local property taxes went directly to the local school system, which minimized state government's involvement in the distribution of revenue.

Prop 13 was in part a direct response the the taking of local tax away from local schools...

In addition... Prop 13 does not prevent voters from approving additional assessments specifically for local schools...

The problem seems to be the idea that voters actually have to be asked.

Old 03-13-2012, 08:13 PM

1,318 posts, read 5,272,004 times
I rarely complain about living here in "horrible" California...just hard to find stuff to complain about.
Now if I had to dig out of a foot of snow,or swat mosquitoes constantly,or get a sunlight lamp,or take cover from hurricanes and tornadoes,,yeah,then I would complain...

Greenchili

Old 03-13-2012, 08:13 PM

5,706 posts, read 9,629,182 times
When I was younger I visited some relatives who live in Newport Beach and let me tell you that's one hell of a nice place.

Unfortunately, unlike my relatives, I'm not rich, so that area is out of the equation when it comes to places for me to retire.

Old 03-14-2012, 01:07 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,938,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio Flyer View Post
Chill, dude.

I lived in CA. for 20 something years. I'll make all the comparisons I want.

People in other states aren't acting hysterically towards you. Honestly, most of them could give a rat's ass about California.
I'm pretty sure he was referring to the endless stream of people from other states (a few in particular *cough* Texas) who spend an inordinate amount of time here in the California fora yammering on about how horrible the state is, doing inane comparisons, vomiting jingoism, etc etc.

Old 03-14-2012, 01:35 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,839,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedJacket View Post
When I was younger I visited some relatives who live in Newport Beach and let me tell you that's one hell of a nice place.

Unfortunately, unlike my relatives, I'm not rich, so that area is out of the equation when it comes to places for me to retire.
I was born there (cool hospital with ocean views!). Residents have a peculiar affinity towards presenting themselves as living in a reality show version of Miami Vice. Not sure why so many insist on tanning salons - it's a sunny place.

Old 09-02-2012, 11:06 AM

6 posts, read 22,114 times
Default California is not a nice place to be

- Bad elementary schools - even "10" on great schools is like a 6 in NY/NJ/MA. Its bad.
- High taxes.
- Brutal cost of living (rent, and housing)
- Job market no longer can pay the differential in cost of living
- Sky high unemployment
- Retail stores gouge - simple items cost 2-3x at times, its due to the extreme cost of labor in the state
- Houses are pathetic, built in the 50s, too small, and always the better part of a million
- Lots of asbestos in the rentals. For such a progressive state, nobody cares about exposing people to flaking chrysotile asbestos.
- People are fake and plastic. I think San Diego can be ok. But lots of fake plastic people that dont declare themselves as friend or foe.
- No sense of community. ANYWHERE. Don't buy it. People here are from all over and essentially have no relationship with the land or community. Everyone feels like a transient. I have 3 kids and basically have to move because my neighbor with kids the same age needs a playdate to come and use my pool. Its unreal how bad friendships and family life is here.

Yes, there is no perfect place. But CA is, for the most part, in the large city areas, a burned out husk living on reputation. Its pathetic, I have been here for 12 years and cannot take it anymore, and I cant wait to leave. A down payment here is a house most other places, so I plan to be living rent and mortgage free, anywhere but here.

Old 09-02-2012, 11:30 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,475,357 times
Without having read all these pages of responses, I think that in most cases people don't "hate" California but resent transplants from California wanting to bring with them much of the state's dysfunction socially, societally and governmentally. Too many of them try to do so then sing the blues when it's not like "back home." If you're going to leave California and relocate then leave California behind you as well. Strange as it may seem, most of us are quite content with where we live and while every place can stand some improvement, not everyone believes that Californication is the way to go.

Old 09-03-2012, 10:27 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,839,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Without having read all these pages of responses, I think that in most cases people don't "hate" California but resent transplants from California wanting to bring with them much of the state's dysfunction socially, societally and governmentally. Too many of them try to do so then sing the blues when it's not like "back home."
Can the same not be said about a great percentage of people who moved to CA from wherever else?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California