U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-27-2015, 02:00 PM

371 posts, read 256,112 times

Advertisements

This'ol thread reminds me a this here song

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=1XB2peAKwOA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2015, 09:28 AM

2,736 posts, read 5,955,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aboveordinary View Post
Wow only 4 years? I've spent my whole 25 years of life in San Diego County. For the most part the poster you quoted is right. Santee is more middle class now but there is still a country redneck sort of vibe to the place. A poster in another thread said it perfectly. Santee, Poway, Lakeside etc feel more like towns you would see in rural Northern California in the outskirts of Sacramento than in Southern California. Lakeside definitely has the redneck Christian Conservative feel to it. There is also a creation museum there all about denying evolution.

I have seen a few people from middle class backgrounds I went to high school with who proudly display their love for the South by flying the confederate flag. These are people that I'm pretty sure never even lived in the South and weren't born there! If you're from California and you have a confederate flag then you're ignorant and should leave as far as I'm concerned. The military does move out to Santee and Lakeside and other towns in the county when they are done with their service and bring their backwards views from the South and Midwest with them. These beliefs get passed on through the generations.The local television and radio stations constantly worship the military. Many local businesses want everyone to "support our troops". We have elected politicians like Duncan Hunter Jr that were in the military themselves who go on the news and say stupid things about bombing other countries and anti-Muslim/immigrant/gay rhetoric. They continue being elected despite this clearly ignorant thinking. This backwards thinking comes from a lot of the military and other transplants who have moved here from the South and Midwest. So no there is no shortage of rednecks or backwards thinking in San Diego County.
i have lived ALL MY LIFE in san diego county, i just said my last 4 years was spent in santee...
and i totally agree with you on the confed flag in ca...it has no business there, how stupid!
and duncan hunter helped my husband out with an issue while he was in the marine corps...
and there are backwards people from san diego...the south and midwest does not have a monopoly on it...

Old 01-06-2016, 12:23 PM

3 posts, read 4,674 times
Well, David aguilar, the name seems familiar some how, anyway you had me laughing out loud with your renditons of my neighborhood.. and even though they all have their ins and outs around the maypole, it's my territory and i'll stick around. I'm not that worldly anyhow. Keep it going, I need the humor.

Old 01-06-2016, 12:29 PM

1,450 posts, read 877,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
Oroville. Hick and a "meth lab" at the same time.

There are similar towns in the North State. They would be a shock to the system for most Southern Californians. The North State, and its residents, are quite a bit different than urban California residents, almost as if it really were another state.
Yep, Oroville
Bakersfield used to be pretty hick too?

Old 01-06-2016, 02:09 PM

23,605 posts, read 31,502,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDocKat View Post
Yep, Oroville
Bakersfield used to be pretty hick too?
What do you mean "used to be?"

Old 01-06-2016, 02:09 PM

1,080 posts, read 1,276,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by breeze823 View Post
i have lived ALL MY LIFE in san diego county, i just said my last 4 years was spent in santee...
and i totally agree with you on the confed flag in ca...it has no business there, how stupid!
and duncan hunter helped my husband out with an issue while he was in the marine corps...
and there are backwards people from san diego...the south and midwest does not have a monopoly on it...
That's nice that he helped your husband but that doesn't make him any less incompetent or any less of an idiot as a politician.

Old 01-06-2016, 02:11 PM

1,450 posts, read 877,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
What do you mean "used to be?"
I have to say it that way because I have not been there since the 1980s.

Old 01-06-2016, 02:15 PM

1,080 posts, read 1,276,878 times
I drove through Alturas for the first time last year and I think that town should be one of the top hillbilly towns in the state. It's like 50 or more miles from Redding through winding roads in the hills and trees. The town is literally in the middle of nowhere. There is like one gas station, a Subway, a Mexican restaurant, a few streets of houses, and a few churches. I can't imagine why anyone would live there. It's so far from everything and nothing to do.

Old 01-06-2016, 08:40 PM

23,605 posts, read 31,502,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDocKat View Post
I have to say it that way because I have not been there since the 1980s.
Nor I, thank goodness. Three years there was four years too many.

Old 01-07-2016, 12:12 PM

17,574 posts, read 10,646,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aboveordinary View Post
I drove through Alturas for the first time last year and I think that town should be one of the top hillbilly towns in the state. It's like 50 or more miles from Redding through winding roads in the hills and trees. The town is literally in the middle of nowhere. There is like one gas station, a Subway, a Mexican restaurant, a few streets of houses, and a few churches. I can't imagine why anyone would live there. It's so far from everything and nothing to do.
That is what they want. Peace and quiet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or