Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-06-2012, 09:18 PM

6,390 posts, read 9,634,305 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
How about the Zzyzx Rd. off-ramp from the 15 between Barstow and Las Vegas? Is there even a town there?
Nah, it is a university research station.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2012, 09:45 PM

6,390 posts, read 9,634,305 times
Maybe Potrero California just won:
Quote:
A 39-year-old handyman and explosives enthusiast was arrested Tuesday after a bizarre incident in which his live-in girlfriend was killed when a cannonball rocketed through the couple's trailer in eastern San Diego County.

Richard Fox, 39, was arrested on charges relating to the negligent discharge of explosives causing injury. Fox's girlfriend, 38, was killed instantly, according to the California Department of Forestry and Fire Protection.

Fox and a friend were loading a homemade cannon with powder from fireworks when it exploded shortly after midnight, sending shrapnel into the trailer where Fox, his girlfriend, and their 4-year-old daughter lived.

The child and three other adults in the trailer were unharmed.

Fox, who had been drinking, was burned in the explosion and treated at a local hospital, authorities said. The couple had lived in the trailer in Potrero, in rural eastern San Diego County, for several years

Old 03-07-2012, 12:13 AM

14,727 posts, read 33,260,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by .highnlite View Post
Nah, it is a university research station.
Really. I just thought it was a joke, in that they came up with a name that would wake up drivers experiencing road fatigue. Which univ. and what do they research? The night sky?

Old 03-07-2012, 12:33 AM

208 posts, read 833,762 times
Quote:
Really. I just thought it was a joke, in that they came up with a name that would wake up drivers experiencing road fatigue. Which univ. and what do they research? The night sky?
Aliens!!!

Old 03-07-2012, 01:20 AM

1,110 posts, read 2,460,044 times
I don't think Californians know what "Hillbilly" is. But since I'm often referred to as a redneck I will vote for "Slab City" by the Salton Sea and Weaverville up north in the Trinity Alps.
Slab City maybe more like Zombie City, do not go thru there at night unarmed. Weaverville has a witchcraft store the size of K-Mart!
See attached photos of the Slab.
Attached Thumbnails
Most "hillybilly" place in California?-pict02511.jpg   Most "hillybilly" place in California?-pict02541.jpg  

Old 03-07-2012, 04:42 AM

208 posts, read 833,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dober1 View Post
I don't think Californians know what "Hillbilly" is. But since I'm often referred to as a redneck I will vote for "Slab City" by the Salton Sea and Weaverville up north in the Trinity Alps.
Slab City maybe more like Zombie City, do not go thru there at night unarmed. Weaverville has a witchcraft store the size of K-Mart!
Great info on Imperial County. The most allusive and least known county in all of California.
You should at your knowledge here: http://www.city-data.com/forum/san-d...l#post23295740

Old 03-07-2012, 06:40 AM

25,619 posts, read 36,524,155 times
Quote:
I concur and second.

Old 03-07-2012, 07:27 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,330,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dober1 View Post
No hills!

Old 03-07-2012, 08:36 AM

1,331 posts, read 2,327,119 times
Quote:
Funny thing is, mostly Latinos live there

Old 03-07-2012, 10:49 AM

3,727 posts, read 6,199,136 times
Quote:
How about the Zzyzx Rd. off-ramp from the 15 between Barstow and Las Vegas? Is there even a town there?
If expecting something exotic or unusual if one should take this offramp you will be disappointed. Once the home of a radio evangelist, now a base for a university desert research station. Huell Howser, the host for years of travelogues to California locations, did an episode on Zzyzx Road. If interested, can wait for the rerun, or if in a hurry can purchase the video.
www.calgold.com/goldenparks/Default.asp?Series=100&Show=978
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California