U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Unread 03-14-2012, 02:10 PM

6,390 posts, read 2,809,774 times
Weell, you have called me fat, and you have called me old. Aren't those personal attacks? In addition to having your usual level of accuracy. Perhaps you would be interested in doing a climb with me, you could show your youth and vitality, say, East Face of Whitney, it is only 5.6, any reasonably fit person can do that. Takes a day to get to the base, then if you don't spend a lot of time whimpering and holding onto the rock, the climb can be knocked of inside a day, tops out at a bit over 14,000 feet, so it a little breathless.

Here, two fractions for you, see if you can figure out the significance.

LA aqueduct serves about 3.800,000 people in the LA metro
SWP aqueduct serves about 16,000,000 people in the LA metro

LA Aqueduct supplies 200,000 acre feet per year.
State Aqueduct supplies 2,300,000 Acre feet per year.

Ok, now for some scenic shots, LA aqueduct gets much of its water from the Owens River.

State Aqueduct gets its water from the Feather River

Notice the difference?
Quick reply to this message

Unread 03-14-2012, 02:28 PM

11,927 posts, read 8,913,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by .highnlite View Post
and you have called me old. Aren't those personal attacks?
No more than you saying I have brown hair.

Quote:
Here, two fractions for you, see if you can figure out the significance.

LA aqueduct serves about 3.800,000 people in the LA metro
SWP aqueduct serves about 16,000,000 people in the LA metro
Yes, I can figure out the significance: You don't read what you respond to.

My comment about was the city of Los Angeles, in fact I even made a parenthetical remark to make that absolutely clear, yet you are citing information about the "LA metro area". Amusingly, this just seems like an area you're making up as the LA metropolitan area only has 15 million.... Do you mean Southern California? But heck, even if you look at Southern California as a whole the LA aqueduct serves around 17% of the water, hardly a "minor fraction".

Anyhow, as I said, a lot of opinions....not so many facts. Common trait around here....

Unread 03-14-2012, 03:06 PM

11,559 posts, read 7,262,333 times
Quote:
You really don't know do you? The California Aqueduct, Oroville dam etc were built to ship the Feather River water to So Cal, Heck, I knew that in fourth grade, where you been?

The California Aquaduct & the Delta/Mendota canal, begins at the San Joaquin-Sacramento River Delta, by Tracy. I've fished for Striped Bass & Channel Catfish in both for years, & at the San Luis O'Neill Forebay, outside of Santa Nella. We boonie camped along the canals.

California Aqueduct - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Unread 03-14-2012, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk J View Post
The California Aquaduct & the Delta/Mendota canal, begins at the San Joaquin-Sacramento River Delta, by Tracy. I've fished for Striped Bass & Channel Catfish in both for years, & at the San Luis O'Neill Forebay, outside of Santa Nella. We boonie camped along the canals.

California Aqueduct - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Aye, and that was the mistake that was made all those years ago. Oroville Dam releases into the lower Feather River, which enters the Delta, and then Fresh Water equivalent to that release is pumped at the south end of the delta into the Aqueduct.

and now the smelt are in the way.

They should have run the aqueduct around the delta years ago. Now the cost will be a bit on the high side.

Unread 03-15-2012, 06:53 AM

1,294 posts, read 656,004 times
Wow I am back... But thinking I will go away again.... User is up to his mind numbing, thread degenerating shenanigans again...

A simple thread, a perfectly educational and enjoyable thread, exploring rural areas and why they are so rural... Derailed..

Unread 03-15-2012, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueTimbers View Post
Wow I am back... But thinking I will go away again.... User is up to his mind numbing, thread degenerating shenanigans again...

A simple thread, a perfectly educational and enjoyable thread, exploring rural areas and why they are so rural... Derailed..

I think some folks suffer from Nature Deficit Disorder. Back to the black: notice that along the coast between LA and the Bay area there are threads of light along 101. but that the interior between 101 and I 5 is pretty black. At the southern end of this area, roughly Santa Maria south, the land is National Forest, public land, much of it designated wilderness. Great trout streams, rugged canyons high (relatively) mountains, 6-8,000 feet.

North of Santa Maria much of that interior land is private. Large ranches, some dating back to the Ranchero period. Mostly off limits to recreationists, unless you know an owner.

There are areas, of smaller parcels, 1 to 5 to 10 to 20 acres in some of that land. The big problem is water, it is arid. Summer temps are baking hot.

Carrizo Plains National Monument, and Pinnacles National Monument are both places well worth a visit.

Unread 03-16-2012, 06:41 AM

1,294 posts, read 656,004 times
Quote:
I think some folks suffer from Nature Deficit Disorder. Back to the black: notice that along the coast between LA and the Bay area there are threads of light along 101. but that the interior between 101 and I 5 is pretty black. At the southern end of this area, roughly Santa Maria south, the land is National Forest, public land, much of it designated wilderness. Great trout streams, rugged canyons high (relatively) mountains, 6-8,000 feet.

North of Santa Maria much of that interior land is private. Large ranches, some dating back to the Ranchero period. Mostly off limits to recreationists, unless you know an owner.

There are areas, of smaller parcels, 1 to 5 to 10 to 20 acres in some of that land. The big problem is water, it is arid. Summer temps are baking hot.

Carrizo Plains National Monument, and Pinnacles National Monument are both places well worth a visit.
Yes, a lot of that black is black for a good reason... Some pretty rough inhospitable country out there... A great place to visit, but takes a certain kind of individual to be able to eek out a living off the land in those hard places... That big open skyline, with hot arid conditions is foreign stuff for me... Makes me feel naked.. Much more comfortable with some cover, in the rugged cool forested areas of the black..

We will need to check out pinnacles the next time we are heading up 101..and the southern area of the carrizo plains sounds like a great place to get lost too..

Unread 03-16-2012, 07:20 AM

1,351 posts, read 1,099,488 times
The sun in California is never oppressive, you don't notice that it's there.. Compared to other places..

Unread 03-16-2012, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueTimbers View Post
Yes, a lot of that black is black for a good reason... Some pretty rough inhospitable country out there... A great place to visit, but takes a certain kind of individual to be able to eek out a living off the land in those hard places... That big open skyline, with hot arid conditions is foreign stuff for me... Makes me feel naked.. Much more comfortable with some cover, in the rugged cool forested areas of the black..

We will need to check out pinnacles the next time we are heading up 101..and the southern area of the carrizo plains sounds like a great place to get lost too..

Pinnacles and Carrizo aren't much fun in the summer, darned hot. The visitor center at Carrizo closes for the summer not much visitation either place in the summer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by yowps3 View Post
The sun in California is never oppressive, you don't notice that it's there.. Compared to other places..
That is subjective. As we should all know the hottest temps recorded in the western hemisphere were recorded in CA..... and then there are the streets of any central valley town in summer.

People die from sun exposure every year in CA.

Unread 03-16-2012, 01:16 PM

16,591 posts, read 17,354,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yowps3 View Post
When did they move Death Valley out of Calif?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California