Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2012, 11:05 AM

6,957 posts, read 22,309,298 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by user_id View Post
On average, one isn't able to "make a living" in the hillbilly areas...so their existence doesn't matter much to the average working adult.
This is terrible news to the majority of us that do. We really don't care about the average working adult either>
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2012, 11:17 AM

12,460 posts, read 20,085,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMenscha View Post
This is terrible news to the majority of us that do. We really don't care about the average working adult either>
I'm not sure what you're trying to claim, the vast majority of working adults live in urbanized areas.

You don't care about the average working adult? Okay......but he is the one subsidizing your lifestyle choice. Rural communities, since industrialization, have been subsidized by those evil urban workers. Ironically, the justification for the subsidies is future development. That is, nobody would move to an area without modern utilities yet those utilities only become cost effective with sufficient numbers....

Anyhow, though these areas may be nice, the vast majority can't pick up and live in them and that is precisely why they remain rural today. These areas can be a real gem for retirees though.

Old 03-10-2012, 01:31 PM

6,390 posts, read 9,683,178 times
Quote:
On average, one isn't able to "make a living" in the hillbilly areas...so their existence doesn't matter much to the average working adult.
That is a bunch of baloney, once again user, you show us the depth of your ignorance of the world you live in. It is rather easy to make a living in the hillbilly areas.

And, public lands matter much to the average working adult. Millions upon millions of average working adults spend time in America's public lands.

I think though, really, you don't believe what you post, you just post oppositional crap, because your life ain't all that terrific.

No one who is happy and content feel the need to tear down anyone elses ideas or actions.

So, your posts tell us a lot about you.

Old 03-10-2012, 01:40 PM

7,150 posts, read 10,897,373 times
The rural folks are subsidized by the urban folks -- which urban folks rely on the agriculture, timber, mining, energy, and more -- all provided by *trumpets* the RURAL folks.

But nevermind that. We're just here to argue by using ridicule.

After 9,000 post over years here, one certain poster has yet to actually explain why he stoops to engage in dialogue with other C D posters when he treats every one of them as if an inferior being and inferior intellect. The only explanation is to derive pleasure from the act of ridicule. A nasty neurosis.

Old 03-10-2012, 01:44 PM

It is called getting ahead by stepping on heads. People who do this are people of low self esteem. They build themselves up by tearing others down.

Happy, content, satisfied humans don't do that.

Old 03-10-2012, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by .highnlite View Post
That is a bunch of baloney, once again user, you show us the depth of your ignorance of the world you live in. It is rather easy to make a living in the hillbilly areas.
Rather than focus on calling people names, you should perhaps read what they are saying. I never suggested that you can't make a living in the "hillbilly areas", instead I suggested that the vast majority of working adults can't do such a thing. Indeed, the minute these areas can support that sort of job growth is the minute they are no longer rural in character!

People follow jobs....

Quote:
And, public lands matter much to the average working adult. Millions upon millions of average working adults spend time in America's public lands.
I never suggested that "public lands don't matter", but its primarily the middle-class (and above) folks that are able to enjoy these assets. The urban working-class? Not so much.... But that's a statement of today's economic situation more than anything.

Last edited by user_id; 03-10-2012 at 01:57 PM..

Old 03-10-2012, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nullgeo View Post
The rural folks are subsidized by the urban folks -- which urban folks rely on the agriculture, timber, mining, energy, and more -- all provided by *trumpets* the RURAL folks.
Sure and no where in my post did I suggest that the subsidies shouldn't exist, instead I just noted their existence to point out the fact that in today's world, contrary to popular belief among some rural folks, society is highly connected and everyone depends on either other for their current standard of living.

I was responding to a comment, from another poster, that they don't care about the "average worker". Focus on what is being said, not on personal commentary.

Old 03-10-2012, 02:06 PM

7,150 posts, read 10,897,373 times
Quote:
Sure and no where in my post did I suggest that the subsidies shouldn't exist, instead I just noted their existence to point out the fact that in today's world, contrary to popular belief among some rural folks, society is highly connected and everyone depends on either other for their current standard of living.

I was responding to a comment, from another poster, that they don't care about the "average worker". Focus on what is being said, not on personal commentary.
No. Your entire reason for posting here was to engage in persistent ridicule to assuage your inferiority complex, as always. You don't give a damn about the topic or other peoples' opinions except as an opportunity to engage in your insecure snobbery in attempt to convince yourself you have substance.

You don't.

Focus on your own shortcomings, not on attempting to build your ego through a campaign of ridicule (that has lasted 9,000 + posts).

Old 03-10-2012, 02:43 PM

1,658 posts, read 2,694,459 times
Quote:
Photo from the top of the Grapevine at the junction with Hunter mtn road I reckon. The snow peak in the distance has a great skiable bowl on the north side.
I apologize for not identifying the photo. Yes, the shot is from the South Pass, but looking south, with Telescope Peak in the background.

Here is another view, taken from Death Valley National Park on the 190, looking southeast across the valley.

Posted by user_id
Quote:
Huh?

Posted by user_id
Quote:
I never suggested that "public lands don't matter", but its primarily the middle-class (and above) folks that are able to enjoy these assets. The urban working-class? Not so much....
I think you have it backwards. The urban worker with fewer discretionary dollars can always enjoy what nature has to offer at minimal cost.

Last edited by JustPassinThru; 03-10-2012 at 03:12 PM..

Old 03-10-2012, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustPassinThru View Post
I apologize for not identifying the photo. Yes, the shot is from the South Pass, but looking south, with Telescope Peak in the background.

Yep, Telescope peak has a great snow bowl on the north west slope.

Here is another view, taken from Death Valley National Park on the 190, looking southeast across the valley.

PSR A great place for a burger and a beer. For the past 40 years I have spent time in and around DV, wandering up canyons.

Posted by user_id

Huh?

Posted by user_id

I think you have it backwards. The urban worker with fewer discretionary dollars can always enjoy what nature has to offer at minimal cost.
Not worth getting into an argument with user, he actually holds no opinions, he just likes to tear other people down. Comes from living in Mordor, I suppose. He has stated he is Risk Adverse, we are not likely to see him out on our public lands, mtn biking, dirt biking, hiking from spring to spring with the hope there is water there, or or peak bagging or jeeping, or other outdoor men and women stuff.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California