Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2012, 05:04 PM

2,190 posts, read 6,834,327 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshine7793 View Post
Lots of vitriol towards religion on the California forum. Thankfully you won't find this intolerance and mean spirit on the forums of most other states. Good future topic might be :What makes the California leftists hate religion so much?"

I've no data to back it up, but I've got a gut feeling that those states most tolerant of religion are the same ones climbing out of the economic slump the fastest.
oh please.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2012, 06:05 PM

364 posts, read 608,816 times
I'm surprised by the aggressive and angry nature of those who have no faith. You'd think that they were afraid someone was going to poison their minds.

I see no hesitation to promote the cult of political correctness on the California forum. I'm not saying that prayer sessions should be held here. But why not a little tolerance towards someone who points to something good happening at a Califronia school?

Old 03-11-2012, 06:47 PM

6,390 posts, read 9,639,214 times
Quote:
I'm surprised by the aggressive and angry nature of those who have no faith. You'd think that they were afraid someone was going to poison their minds.

Many of us have had religion shoved in our faces by one person or another all our lives. We may indeed have faith, perhaps a deep faith, or perhaps not, it is of little matter. You see, faith is an important part of those who have it's lives. But it is utter irrelevant to many others. A short analogy, a couple of people support, love, and live for Manchester United, an English football club, and so they constantly post on the subject of Manchester United, shoving their opinions, which no one else is interested in, at other folk as often as they can, you can see, one would get rather tired of hearing about Manchester United or Football in general.

I see no hesitation to promote the cult of political correctness on the California forum. I'm not saying that prayer sessions should be held here. But why not a little tolerance towards someone who points to something good happening at a Califronia school?

You consider it a good, others may not. Back to my analogy, the major religion of small town Texas is American Football specifically Friday night High School American Football. But a couple people show up on the Texas Friday Night High School American Foot Ball forum to talk about Manchester United. Most folk on that forum would like the Manchester United people to enjoy their sport, but not to jabber on about it to people and in places where few actually care.

The Christian religion, is one of thousands of forms of religion in this world, and as such is no better nor worse than any of the others. Generally representatives of any particular religion figure they have the only right path, and feel the need to let everyone know.

And some of us just don't care. This forum is about various qualities of California, and should remain, in my opinion religion free. As a practicing Apathist I do not consider promoting any religion or promoting atheism the well mannered way to go through life.

Old 03-11-2012, 06:55 PM

30,871 posts, read 36,796,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by .highnlite View Post
O'course the devout Evangelicals I know do not consider Catholics Christians. They figure all the Catholics are going to hell just like the Mormons, because the Catholics don't accept Jesus as their personal lord and savior.
Every once in a while, .highnlite hits the nail on the head

Old 03-11-2012, 07:14 PM

2,190 posts, read 6,834,327 times
Quote:

You assume that all who aren't religious aren't spiritual and / or don't have faith.
There are many, many people in the state of California who are either spiritual and not religious or have religions other than Christianity.
To assume that improvement in the economy in any given state has to do with the percentage of population who are religious (and i bet you mean Christian btw) in that state is akin to one of those religious fools assuming that Haiti was hit by the earthquake because they're not good Christians ... or that Hurricane Katrina was some sort of retribution from God. Those are just two of many, many examples of that kind of incredibly offensive (not to mention incredibly ignorant) attitude.
And i have found that some of the very worst manifestations of anger and aggression is the kind masked by fundamentalist Christians who are self righteously judgmental, deny their own shadow and project it onto others ... and often with a plastic and insincere smile on their face.

Last edited by jaijai; 03-11-2012 at 07:23 PM..

Old 03-11-2012, 07:53 PM

6,390 posts, read 9,639,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
Every once in a while, .highnlite hits the nail on the head
Keep paying attention, learning is a good thing, but requires an open mind.

Old 03-11-2012, 08:18 PM

36,637 posts, read 67,234,576 times
Quote:
Lots of vitriol towards religion on the California forum.
I havent found that to be the case at all and I am devoutly religious.

Old 03-11-2012, 09:03 PM

21,678 posts, read 24,855,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
This is an after school program-I wonder what the Redding Record-Searchlight thought was so compelling about this story that they decided to run it? Cause to me its a non-story.
I take it you've never been up in Shasta County except maybe to pass through?
It's very religious up there. Take a drive up 5 into Oregon and radio surf the FM stations. Once you start losing the Chico stations, it's all Christian and leaning heavily towards the hell and brimstone variety. By the time you cross over into Oregon you're damn excited every time you find a station that's playing some music... but that's usually a trap since it's just a Christian station playing Christian rock in between preaching at you. And it gets worse in Oregon. It's a part of the country that takes its religion, especially any affronts to it, very seriously.

And I agree... to me, non-story. We had Christian clubs in high school that met after class to do Christian things. There was a Mormon club to, now that I think of it.

Old 03-11-2012, 09:52 PM

29,095 posts, read 25,916,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
I take it you've never been up in Shasta County except maybe to pass through?
It's very religious up there. Take a drive up 5 into Oregon and radio surf the FM stations. Once you start losing the Chico stations, it's all Christian and leaning heavily towards the hell and brimstone variety. By the time you cross over into Oregon you're damn excited every time you find a station that's playing some music... but that's usually a trap since it's just a Christian station playing Christian rock in between preaching at you. And it gets worse in Oregon. It's a part of the country that takes its religion, especially any affronts to it, very seriously.

And I agree... to me, non-story. We had Christian clubs in high school that met after class to do Christian things. There was a Mormon club to, now that I think of it.
I was in Shasta County a few years back(visiting the area) and the front page headline in the the local paper was some guy arrested for DUI. No crash, no injury, just a DUI arrest. I imagine that drunk driving isn't common there because if you are arrested your face is plastered on the newspaper and the whole town knows what you did. I read the crime blotter in the same paper for entertainment - when I dig that rag up I will share some of the things that were reported to the sheriff - lol. It is a different place - I kind a liked it - but if you are from a big city - yeah - you wouldn't consider some things news.

Old 03-12-2012, 12:20 AM

5,128 posts, read 9,799,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by .highnlite View Post
There is a proper place for discussing religion, and it ain't here. That is the message. People are free to believe what they want to believe but like beastiality it is best discussed among those partial to it, rather than inflicting it on people who have no interest.
If you don't want to read it, then why do you?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California