Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2012, 12:18 PM

4,254 posts, read 5,606,050 times

Advertisements

Shasta County's public schools are benefiting from a Christian-based after-school program run by volunteers. Faith is creative. I'd like to see a lot more of this kind of thing.

Redding Record-Searchlight: After school programs nurture biblical values

"Around 15 elementary schoolchildren sit at their desks Thursday afternoon in a Redding School of the Arts classroom learning their weekly Bible verse. But it's not a class, it's an after-school program. The students were learning biblical values about God's unconditional love. And at the 19 schools in Shasta County that host the programs, including Bella Vista School and others in the Redding and Gateway districts, students are encouraged to spread the message to their peers.

Known as Good News Clubs, the sessions are managed by the international Child Evangelism Fellowship, said Ron Schipper, chairman of the board for its Shasta County chapter.

He said the club teaches character values, such as being respectful to parents and teachers, and being truthful."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2012, 12:27 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,942,396 times
Hey pushy proselytizer, this is where it belongs: http://www.city-data.com/forum/christianity/

Old 03-10-2012, 01:23 PM

6,390 posts, read 9,683,178 times
Would the moderator kindly get that religious crap out of the California forum? Thanks.

Old 03-10-2012, 01:27 PM

5,242 posts, read 13,077,874 times
Sounds just like Iran! Just add in some guns and beards and they'll be ayatollahlicious.

Old 03-10-2012, 01:46 PM

7,150 posts, read 10,897,373 times
Some folks just can't get enough penance in during a day ... after-school programs seem like an ideal solution to me ...

Old 03-10-2012, 04:00 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,209,520 times
Not a fan of faith based groups using kids to "spread the news" about whatever they are peddling. It's an open door to other groups doing the same and pretty soon someone fights and it's another big old mess that never should have occured.

I have no problem with Christian clubs or other faith based groups, and most schools already have those.

Old 03-10-2012, 04:30 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,942,396 times
As an atheist, maybe I should start posting in the Calif forum every atheist-related subject with the most tenuous connection to California possible.

But I won't and don't, because I don't proselytize and I know there's already a forum here at C-D for that stuff.

Old 03-10-2012, 05:13 PM

4,254 posts, read 5,606,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
Not a fan of faith based groups using kids to "spread the news" about whatever they are peddling. It's an open door to other groups doing the same and pretty soon someone fights and it's another big old mess that never should have occured.

I have no problem with Christian clubs or other faith based groups, and most schools already have those.
As I understand it, non-religious organizations can do the same. I would imagine they have their squabbles too. What's the rationale for targeting faith-based groups for exclusion among all the others? Seems very arbitrary to me. SCOTUS agrees:

"A court case led to a 2001 ruling by the U.S. Supreme Court that religious clubs operated by outside organizations have the same access rights to create after-school programs as similar secular clubs, said Hiram Sasser, director of litigation for the Liberty Institute. 'The controlling case on this is Good News Club v. Milford Central School,' he said. '(The Clubs are) the ones who made the law.' The court ruled that the school couldn't give any religious club any more — or less — support than it would give a club sponsored by a secular program run by a nonschool agency, he said."

More importantly, Shasta County is conservative and home to a large evangelical population. These programs are consistent with the values of the community.

Old 03-10-2012, 05:14 PM

36,658 posts, read 67,519,268 times
This is an after school program-I wonder what the Redding Record-Searchlight thought was so compelling about this story that they decided to run it? Cause to me its a non-story.

Old 03-10-2012, 05:17 PM

36,658 posts, read 67,519,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WesternPilgrim View Post

More importantly, Shasta County is conservative and home to a large evangelical population. These programs are consistent with the values of the community.
I can totally understand that...if its normal in Shasta County, then those of us who live hundreds of miles down the coast are probably have no justification to judge them anymore than they have to judge us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California