U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 03-11-2012, 01:58 PM

2,192 posts, read 3,151,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotland2USA View Post
@EscapeCalifornia, thanks.

@jaijai, we dont want to live on the coast. we arent beach people at all, so living on the coast isnt even on our radar. Santa Cruz is going to be way too expensive. Someone told me that the further you go out from major cities, the cheaper the rents are and lower gang activity. I honestly dont mind commuting in my car, even if i need to commute for an hour each way, if it means getting somewhere affordable to live, with no gang activity.
May i ask, why California?
Of course, urban areas are more crime ridden.
I think that you may be asking for the impossible.
You want to live within only (yes, only!) an hour commute to work but you don't want to live where there is any crime / gang activity.
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2012, 02:02 PM

12,312 posts, read 10,201,200 times
Just to note, though the Conejo Valley meets your other criteria, its not a cheap place by any means...

Northern California, that is North of the bay area, starts to get very conservative and hillbilly-like. As far Southern California, there are some more affordable areas if you go inland. For example Temecula is family oriented and provides pretty good value.

Old 03-11-2012, 02:45 PM

33 posts, read 21,417 times
@majin - thats funny because stockton was one place that i have been advised to stay well clear of! why would you suggest it?

Old 03-11-2012, 02:47 PM

@user_id, inland is good. as i said living on the coast does nothing for me. temecula being the temecula in riverside?

Old 03-11-2012, 02:52 PM

@jaijai, i love california. i have family here, although they are all old and coming to the end of their lives. i have family in woodland hills, which is too expensive. also i have family in north hills, which i think used to be sepulveda, and i get the impression that this is not the best area. i also have family in burbank and glendale, but again, i think for a nice home, these places are very pricey. i have family in oceanside near san diego, but again, this is expensive. a friend did suggest riverside, and i went down there for a day. i only seen a small part of it, but i have been told that even riverside has issues with gangs. if i need to live inland away from main cities and stuff like that then thats fine. as long as i know the places to be looking for.

Old 03-11-2012, 03:02 PM

11,727 posts, read 23,997,516 times
Seriously: Job first, housing second. The nicest, most affordable place in the world isn't affordable if you can't find jobs. You can find a place to live within an hour of almost any job. Unfortunately, the jobs are in expensive places and the cheap places have few well paying jobs.

Old 03-11-2012, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotland2USA View Post
@user_id, inland is good. as i said living on the coast does nothing for me. temecula being the temecula in riverside?
Temecula is in Riverside County, but its not particularly close to Riverside the city.

You're not going to find something that is low-cost, safe, etc in California unless you look in rural communities and there you're unlikely to find a job.

Why don't you look in other states?

Old 03-11-2012, 04:05 PM

i like california. it has everything we dont have in scotland, like amazing weather for a start. plus i have a california rivers license, so its a start!

i am open to other states, if you know any? ultimately, i need to go where the work is.

Old 03-11-2012, 04:10 PM

The weather in California is hard to beat, but there are other areas that have decent weather (in terms of it not being cold, rainy, etc). How about Texas? You are just as likely to find work there (if not more) and if your primary focus is just a safe, low cost area, Texas has many of those. Look into cities like Plano, Round Rock, etc.

Old 03-11-2012, 04:21 PM

ill check into that user_id. thanks. do i need to take another driving test if i live in texas? i presume the economy is better in texas in texas than it is in california?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California