U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2012, 01:20 PM

2,190 posts, read 5,950,569 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Balducci View Post
There seems to be a great gap between Californians and Mississippians in how we view certain cultural issues.
But there's such diversity here.
I don't think that you can generalize like that.
What cultural issues are you assuming that "Californian's" (and which Californian's?) view differently?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

16,584 posts, read 33,793,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WesternPilgrim View Post
The Jesse Unruh (spit!) State Office Building in Sacramento gives us a clue with the inscription "Bring Me Men to Match My Mountains".

"The Coming American", by Sam Walter Floss

Bring me men to match my mountains;
Bring me men to match my plains, –
Men with empires in their purpose,
And new eras in their brains.
Bring me men to match my prairies,
Men to match my inland seas,
Men whose thought shall pave a highway
Up to ampler destinies;
Pioneers to clear Thought’s marshlands,
And to cleanse old Error’s fen;
Bring me men to match my mountains –
Bring me men!
Bring me men
to match my forests,
Strong to fight the storm and blast,
Branching toward the skyey future,
Rooted in the fertile past.
Bring me men to match my valleys,
Tolerant of sun and snow,
Men within whose fruitful purpose
Time’s consummate blooms shall grow.
Men to tame the tigerish instincts
Of the lair and cave and den,
Cleans the dragon slime of Nature –
Bring me men!
Bring me men
to match my rivers,
Continent cleavers, flowing free,
Drawn by the eternal madness
To be mingled with the sea;
Men of oceanic impulse,
Men whose moral currents sweep
Toward the wide-enfolding ocean
Of an undiscovered deep;
Men who feel the strong pulsation
Of the Central Sea, and then
Time their currents to its earth throb –
Bring me men!
Are you sure that isn't in in San Francisco?

9,224 posts, read 15,946,018 times
Quote:
There seems to be a great gap between Californians and Mississippians in how we view certain cultural issues.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
Such as...

Old 03-14-2012, 01:23 PM

2,881 posts, read 4,619,830 times
It seems to sound coy to people around the country but it never occurred to me that "California" had some particular identity. I always understood there was a "fun, sun, and surf" and "let it all hang out" image, but that was never any more serious to me than the idea of New Englanders all wearing Pilgrim outfits. People move here, so excited at the very idea of being here, and even as I absorb their reasons and aspirations I never could quite get the big mythology.

It's double-eged. When I left the state and would say, just as a matter of fact, that I'm from California, I didn't realize I was pre-loading folks with a whole host of conceptions about who I am, what I believe, how I relate, what I really mean by any stray comment like, "Oh, you like Neil Young?" I got chewed out for that question.

Old 03-14-2012, 01:25 PM

4,255 posts, read 4,728,813 times
Quote:
Not as much as you might think. Some people say if you cut out a few coastal counties, California is Mississippi.

But that would be an exaggeration. California is really four or maybe five "states". Culturally we've got some Kansas-Nebraska, some Appalachia-Ozarks, some Spanish Southwest, and some Pacific-Northwest.

Old 03-14-2012, 01:26 PM

469 posts, read 603,013 times
Mississippians tend to be more socially conservative. At least we say we are!

Old 03-14-2012, 01:28 PM

2,190 posts, read 5,950,569 times
Quote:
Mississippians tend to be more socially conservative. At least we say we are!
There are many socially conservative people in California.
The media / Hollywood representation of California is narrow and doesn't represent a huge percentage of the population.

Old 03-14-2012, 01:30 PM

469 posts, read 603,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WesternPilgrim View Post
Not as much as you might think. Some people say if you cut out a few coastal counties, California is Mississippi.

But that would be an exaggeration. California is really four or maybe five "states". Culturally we've got some Kansas-Nebraska, some Appalachia-Ozarks, some Spanish Southwest, and some Pacific-Northwest.
I suspected the Central Valley was more conservative than the coastal area, but since they are outnumbered and outvoted, there's little they can do.

Old 03-14-2012, 01:31 PM

5,242 posts, read 11,467,394 times
California has a lot of conservatives but they at least are pretty mellow and don't want to turn the US into Iran. Usually.

Also:

You know you’re a real San Franciscan if you… | SFGate Blog | an SFGate.com blog

Old 03-14-2012, 01:33 PM

16,584 posts, read 33,793,293 times
In the South (mainly SC, MS and AL) saying that I was from California resulted in narrowed eyes, comments about godlessness (they got that one right), and general distrust, but not from everyone, mind you. I met some genuinely friendly, accepting people down there. Maybe that was because I became such a fan of the various cuisines. But, when the mean showed its face, lawdy it was mean.

In N. Idaho, it resulted in shunning and "why are you here, why don't you go back" comments.

In Spokane, it got me good-natured ribbing, but I was 100% accepted by my close-knit, mainly native-born neighborhood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or