U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 03-14-2012, 02:27 PM

469 posts, read 145,292 times
I've read that a lot of people have moved out of California in the last few years. Who are they?
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2012, 02:28 PM

4,258 posts, read 2,330,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1200RT View Post
And Prop 8 favoritism doesn't necessarily = socially conservative. We can nitpick each issue if you'd like?
Prop 8 is a far more accurate barometer for social conservatism than voting GOP.

Neither is foolproof, but the former makes much more sense than the latter.

Old 03-14-2012, 02:35 PM

2,629 posts, read 2,552,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1200RT View Post
And Prop 8 favoritism doesn't necessarily = socially conservative. We can nitpick each issue if you'd like?
Agree. It was a particular issue also involving racial demographics, and a strategically targeted bulldozer of a campaign that obfuscated its intent (convincing most people it was an education reform measure). Way too convoluted to be a broad indicator.

Old 03-14-2012, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Balducci View Post
I'm a Southerner, and many people have opinions about what it means to be one. I ask those of you living in our largest state - what does it mean to be a Californian?
To answer your question, one has to recognize that the South has a much stronger regional identity than the West. The South wasn't settled earlier, but the present population of the South has a greater cultural continuity with the earliest settlers than we do in California. There are several reasons for this:

1. Most Californians are latecomers or the descendants of latecomers. The large population centers have a feeling of transience and rootlessness about them.

2. The South was populated in a time of greater social and religious cohesiveness. The West, not so much.

3. The culture of the West has been inordinately influenced by adventurers, outlaws, swindlers and rogues. And their women. Hence, there is a lingering stench of libertinism (and libertarianism), which doesn't lend itself well to social cohesiveness.

Old 03-14-2012, 02:40 PM

18,977 posts, read 15,762,943 times
Quote:
I've read that a lot of people have moved out of California in the last few years. Who are they?
Umm, people who left California for other places. My wife and I are two of them but I don't think we constitute "a lot."

Old 03-14-2012, 02:45 PM

16,587 posts, read 19,732,201 times
Quote:
You want their names?

Curmudgeon
Mrs. Curmudgeon
Others.

Old 03-14-2012, 02:53 PM

469 posts, read 145,292 times
Quote:
I wasn't asking their names. I was asking what sort of people were they - middle class? cultural conservatives? Something led them to believe that they no longer had a place in California.

Old 03-14-2012, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunjee View Post
Agree. It was a particular issue also involving racial demographics, and a strategically targeted bulldozer of a campaign that obfuscated its intent (convincing most people it was an education reform measure). Way too convoluted to be a broad indicator.
It had nothing to do with racial demographics. You just don't like that racial minorities voted for it. Overwhelmingly.

And yes, same-sex "marriage" has plenty to do with education and you know it very well. It's all of a piece. Witness the SB-48 atrocity. You think that won't be interpreted as mandating that schools teach about same-sex "marriage" in California?

Old 03-14-2012, 03:01 PM

16,587 posts, read 19,732,201 times
Quote:
I wasn't asking their names.
I know. Engaging sarcasm detector... 3,2,1, engage. Make it so.

Old 03-14-2012, 03:03 PM

Quote:
I wasn't asking their names. I was asking what sort of people were they - middle class? cultural conservatives? Something led them to believe that they no longer had a place in California.
Four categories: 1) Young families who can no longer afford to live here; 2) Businessmen who can't abide the stifling taxes and regulations; 3) Social conservatives fleeing the state's never ending assaults on morality and decency; 4) Those escaping the negative social effects of out-of-control illegal immigration.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California