Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2012, 12:18 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,402,599 times

Advertisements

It means being a prune picker, or, at least a first generation native who is thus socialized.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2012, 12:21 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,402,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WesternPilgrim View Post
California is Mississippi.
It's Tennessee, with dashes of Oklahoma, Iowa, Illinois and Massachusetts.

Old 03-15-2012, 12:23 PM

1,348 posts, read 2,858,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Balducci View Post
It seems to me that what people in the coastal cities of California say, goes, in the rest of the state. Mississippi is much more culturally monolithic, with no real difference in culture between our "cities", which would be considered medium-sized towns at most in California, and the rural areas. As far as church attendance, I got my information from sites like these:

Church Attendance Lowest in New England, Highest in South

Unchurched Belt - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Irreligion in the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Let me say here that perhaps I jumped the gun in describing church attendance in California as among the lowest in the country. Like someone else posted, it varies from one region to the next.
Take note that a lot of the churchgoers in California are Hispanics who go to their local Catholic Church. Very different the hate spewing, rabid, blood thirsty culture of the Southern evangelical beasts.

Old 03-15-2012, 12:32 PM

6,957 posts, read 22,311,234 times
When I think Californian, I think of a can do attitude. When I moved out of state for 9 years, (To WA) I was surprised at how fatalistic the natives were.

I think most Californians enjoy the climate more than they might claim, that 310 days of sunshine a year (Except on the North Coast) makes it pretty easy to feel good about where one lives.

Old 03-15-2012, 01:06 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,345,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sacramento916 View Post
Take note that a lot of the churchgoers in California are Hispanics who go to their local Catholic Church. Very different the hate spewing, rabid, blood thirsty culture of the Southern evangelical beasts.
Also the state has close to 800,000 members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints (Mormon). Many of them attend church each Sunday.

Old 03-15-2012, 01:08 PM

468 posts, read 786,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayAreaHillbilly View Post
It's Tennessee, with dashes of Oklahoma, Iowa, Illinois and Massachusetts.
This was WesternPilgrim's full sentence:

Some people say if you cut out a few coastal counties, California is Mississippi.

Old 03-15-2012, 01:17 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,479,020 times
Quote:
Whew! I'm relieved. I'd begun to fear that ignorance, prejudice and a total lack of enlightenment had lost favor here. You've just proved that rumor to be false.

Old 03-15-2012, 01:42 PM

1,197 posts, read 3,582,633 times
Quote:
I know I've never been on this thread before, but I just have to respnd. That answer right there is the true definition of how a liberal thinks about those who disagree with them.

Old 03-15-2012, 01:46 PM

4,108 posts, read 10,803,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
In the South (mainly SC, MS and AL) saying that I was from California resulted in narrowed eyes, comments about godlessness (they got that one right), and general distrust, but not from everyone, mind you. I met some genuinely friendly, accepting people down there. Maybe that was because I became such a fan of the various cuisines. But, when the mean showed its face, lawdy it was mean.

In N. Idaho, it resulted in shunning and "why are you here, why don't you go back" comments.

In Spokane, it got me good-natured ribbing, but I was 100% accepted by my close-knit, mainly native-born neighborhood.
That sounds about right about the South. I've encountered such nasty attitudes from a select few individuals in rural Kentucky, west Tennessee, south Alabama, and the Texas panhandle. Disclaimer: I'm Southern. However, away from the "Suspicious Minds" (Elvis Presley, 1969), most Southerners are quite friendly, sometimes even charming and gregarious. They're among my favorite people in the country.

You're far from the first person to make that comment about northern Idaho. There's some "mean juice" in the water up there, apparently.

In my experience, much of the South and Midwest are both full of very friendly and helpful residents. However, there's this odd thing where the South meets the Midwest; cities like Evansville (IN), Louisville, Cincinnati, and Dayton (OH) have some of the most unwelcoming and hostile people I've met anywhere in the U.S.

Californians are truly a mixed bag. You have the nicest and meanest, most tolerant and most racist, most friendly and most misogynistic, and humble old rich men and haughty gold diggers. It is very difficult to generalize this state. Then again, there are several other states I've been to that are difficult to generalize on an overall statewide basis: Florida, Texas, New York, Virginia, and, believe it or not, Kentucky and West Virginia all come to mind.

Old 03-15-2012, 05:35 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,177,253 times
Being a Californian means you know donut is a food group.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California