U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2012, 11:52 AM

469 posts, read 602,759 times

Advertisements

I'm a Southerner, and many people have opinions about what it means to be one. I ask those of you living in our largest state - what does it mean to be a Californian?

Last edited by Chris Balducci; 03-14-2012 at 12:16 PM.. Reason: I'm trying to make the title and question more sensible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2012, 12:18 PM

2,168 posts, read 4,745,356 times
I guess it just means that I'm from California.

This state is made up of over 35 million people of all sorts of different ethnicities and walks of life, so you can't really type cast what a "Californian" is.

I was born and raised here as well as my dad. We definitely consider ourselves to be Californians. My mom was born in Minnesota and has lived here most of her life and does not consider herself Californian and doesn't even like living here. I'm curious to see other peoples' views on what a Californian is.

I think many people who aren't from here tend to think of Californians as liberal vegan treehugging surfer hippies who love to impose their "superior" enlightened worldview on everybody else. This can be true in some circles, but the vast majority of CA residents are not like that.

Old 03-14-2012, 12:52 PM

16,584 posts, read 33,784,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstnghu2 View Post
Ditto. We're Californians, that's good enough. No need to wax poetic or bloviate with Californiacentric jingoism. I'm here, and that's all I need.

Old 03-14-2012, 01:00 PM

3,162 posts, read 8,636,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstnghu2 View Post

This state is made up of over 35 million people of all sorts of different ethnicities and walks of life, so you can't really type cast what a "Californian" is.

I was born and raised here as well as my dad. We definitely consider ourselves to be Californians. My mom was born in Minnesota and has lived here most of her life and does not consider herself Californian and doesn't even like living here. I'm curious to see other peoples' views on what a Californian is.

I think many people who aren't from here tend to think of Californians as liberal vegan treehugging surfer hippies who love to impose their "superior" enlightened worldview on everybody else. This can be true in some circles, but the vast majority of CA residents are not like that.
Very much depends on where you live.

Old 03-14-2012, 01:05 PM

2,190 posts, read 5,948,944 times
I wonder what percentage of the population feel like or would consider themselves to be "Californians" ... whatever that means.

Old 03-14-2012, 01:08 PM

3,162 posts, read 8,636,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaijai View Post
I wonder what percentage of the population feel like or would consider themselves to be "Californians" ... whatever that means.
Interesting question. I typically consider myself a Californian, but was not born or fully raised here. I've lived in CA since just before my 18th birthday, but spent summers and time off in high school here (child of divorce, father lives in LA). I've lived my whole adult live here, so I suppose that counts for something.

With that being said, I typically feel that I don't relate to 95% of the residents in Southern CA (primarily due to political / social views), but that is surely an issue of where I live.

Old 03-14-2012, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaijai View Post
If you don't react during a 5.5 or lower, you're a Californian. Or an Alaskan.

Old 03-14-2012, 01:15 PM

4,255 posts, read 4,727,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Balducci View Post
I'm a Southerner, and many people have opinions about what it means to be one. I ask those of you living in our largest state - what does it mean to be a Californian?
The Jesse Unruh (spit!) State Office Building in Sacramento gives us a clue with the inscription "Bring Me Men to Match My Mountains".

"The Coming American", by Sam Walter Floss

Bring me men to match my mountains;
Bring me men to match my plains, –
Men with empires in their purpose,
And new eras in their brains.
Bring me men to match my prairies,
Men to match my inland seas,
Men whose thought shall pave a highway
Up to ampler destinies;
Pioneers to clear Thought’s marshlands,
And to cleanse old Error’s fen;
Bring me men to match my mountains –
Bring me men!

Bring me men to match my forests,
Strong to fight the storm and blast,
Branching toward the skyey future,
Rooted in the fertile past.
Bring me men to match my valleys,
Tolerant of sun and snow,
Men within whose fruitful purpose
Time’s consummate blooms shall grow.
Men to tame the tigerish instincts
Of the lair and cave and den,
Cleans the dragon slime of Nature –
Bring me men!

Bring me men to match my rivers,
Continent cleavers, flowing free,
Drawn by the eternal madness
To be mingled with the sea;
Men of oceanic impulse,
Men whose moral currents sweep
Toward the wide-enfolding ocean
Of an undiscovered deep;
Men who feel the strong pulsation
Of the Central Sea, and then
Time their currents to its earth throb –
Bring me men!

Last edited by WesternPilgrim; 03-14-2012 at 02:25 PM..

Old 03-14-2012, 01:16 PM

469 posts, read 602,759 times
mstnghu2 asked:

"I'm curious to see other peoples' views of what a Californian is."

There seems to be a great gap between Californians and Mississippians in how we view certain cultural issues.

Old 03-14-2012, 01:18 PM

Such as...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or