U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2012, 11:02 PM

16 posts, read 32,318 times
Red face Redding, California.

Hello. I'm moving to Redding California. I've read the crime rates are terribly high and the Meth scene is as well. How accurate is that? I've already read plenty on the heat, doesn't bother me. I've also read employment is down, where are some great places to work in the service industry? What are the top 5 most popular bars?

Tips would be very much apreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2012, 11:53 PM

Where are some nice areas to live? I like rural, very rural.

Old 03-15-2012, 12:01 AM

4,258 posts, read 2,120,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DogCharlie View Post
Where are some nice areas to live? I like rural, very rural.
Oak Run. Or Whitney.

Old 03-15-2012, 01:17 AM
Status: "The official bad boy of City Data Forum" (set 25 days ago)

28,679 posts, read 8,415,123 times
Igo or Ono

Old 03-15-2012, 09:46 AM

1,970 posts, read 1,437,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DogCharlie View Post
I've also read employment is down, where are some great places to work in the service industry?

Iím not sure where you pulled that from? I just moved out of Redding and was glad to do so

14.3 unemployment is not really that bad:

Shasta County sees growth in jobs; January net gain is first since '07 Ľ Redding Record Searchlight

The service industry you say? Itís sad when over a 1000 people apply for a job a chain restaurant:

Hundreds apply for work at soon-to-open Redding restaurant; When Famous Dave's BBQ builds it, they'll come — for 1 of 150 positions Ľ Redding Record Searchlight

Redding will always be an $8.00 an hour town with a view. That's if you can find a job.

Old 03-15-2012, 09:49 AM

This is the link for Redding's Facebook/Linkedin page:

Redding & Shasta County CA Jail Mugshots - Page 1

Old 03-15-2012, 10:59 AM

Well its good to see employment isnt as bad as I was told.

Now, one thing, why in the hell is the rate of sex offenders so high in Redding? Relaxed laws? Cheap housing? What are your thoughts?

Old 03-15-2012, 12:30 PM

I highly suggest reviewing the local jobs sites in Redding to get an idea of what awaits you. There’s nearly nothing for service jobs in Redding and locals don’t take kindly to hiring “outsiders” IMO. The 14.3% unemployment number is just the U3 statistic. I would estimate the U6 statistic to be in the 20% plus range.

When it comes to the sex offender issue. I think a lot of it has to do with how many weekly motels there are in Redding and the close proximity to Susanville State University aka prison. I’ve heard that the California Department of Corrections CDC gives vouchers for these degenerates to live in motels.

Don’t get me wrong Redding is a nice area geography wise, but the economic climate is just awful if you want to work. When I left it seemed like there was panhandlers on ever corner. I’d highly suggest doing a ton of research before committing to Redding. I was happy to get out of there just because of the work issue alone.

Old 03-15-2012, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fargobound View Post
I highly suggest reviewing the local jobs sites in Redding to get an idea of what awaits you. Thereís nearly nothing for service jobs in Redding and locals donít take kindly to hiring ďoutsidersĒ IMO. The 14.3% unemployment number is just the U3 statistic. I would estimate the U6 statistic to be in the 20% plus range.

When it comes to the sex offender issue. I think a lot of it has to do with how many weekly motels there are in Redding and the close proximity to Susanville State University aka prison. Iíve heard that the California Department of Corrections CDC gives vouchers for these degenerates to live in motels.

Donít get me wrong Redding is a nice area geography wise, but the economic climate is just awful if you want to work. When I left it seemed like there was panhandlers on ever corner. Iíd highly suggest doing a ton of research before committing to Redding. I was happy to get out of there just because of the work issue alone.
How is it even possible that with such a high population, service jobs are limited? That doesnt seem very accurate. You cant make excuses for not finding a job. Ive moved all over the place and have never been turned down because of an "alien status" or something silly like that. If you have a good attitude you can get a job anywhere.

Old 03-15-2012, 02:09 PM

I think you might need to smoke a lot of pot in order to convince yourself you’ve found Eureka in Redding. I’ve lived in Redding for seven of the last ten years before I moved. I can’t stress enough that the job offerings are next to nonexistent. The housing market dive put the labor market in a coma in Redding.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California