Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2012, 04:47 PM

12,460 posts, read 20,077,688 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WesternPilgrim View Post
That is what the motto itself strongly implies. The "we" is - or ought to be - all Americans.
Right, again, proving that this is really a separation of church and state issue.

Quote:
The founding fathers would have seen nothing unconstitutional about that.
Oh yeah? Surely you're qualified to speak for them right?

Quote:
Many states forbade atheists from holding office until as late as 1961. Etc.
And all states enslaved blacks...what is your point? Like I said, people in the US have been trashing the constitution from day one and the "In god we trust" motto is just another example.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2012, 04:49 PM

4,254 posts, read 5,603,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by .highnlite View Post
People who do not understand the 18th century, and most certainly do not understand 18th century philosophy will attempt to use the words of the Founding Fathers to show that they were Christians. One can only do that if they have only a limited knowledge of the words of our Founding Fathers, and especially, they do not understand the term Deist.
For someone who claims he "doesn't care" about God or religion, Lieutenant Dan, you sure exert a lot of energy fighting it.

Lieutenant Dan and the Storm - YouTube

Most of your last comment was a series of straw men and red herrings. I've addressed them all before and tire of repeating myself. As to which of the founding fathers were Christians and which ones were not, the question is really beside the point. The fact is that none of our founding fathers would have objected to our national motto - with the possible exception of the neurotic Thomas Paine - and many of them expressed similar sentiments, as demonstrated by the quote I provided from George Washington.

I'll freely admit that my own views are out-of-step with the founding fathers on some issues. This isn't one of them. Respectfully, you are the extremist on this topic, and you should be an honest man about it and admit as much. There is absolutely nothing in the founding fathers or the constitution to support the notion that "In God We Trust" violates the First Amendment, or disrespects our founding principles, or is anything other than mainstream Americana.

Last edited by WesternPilgrim; 03-15-2012 at 05:31 PM..

Old 03-15-2012, 04:52 PM

12,460 posts, read 20,077,688 times
Quote:
You just need to spend a little time with some basic philosophical arguments for the existence of God.
Dude, c'mon, for every "philosophical argument" for god you find one can find a counterargument. As far as philosophy goes, the question of god is almost entirely dead....just a handful of religiously minded folks still talking about it. That's saying something when even philosophers move on....

Old 03-15-2012, 04:57 PM

9,963 posts, read 18,491,299 times
Quote:
No, you don't need any faith. To believe in God you need only exercise the use of reason. Five proofs for the existence of God.
Yeah Circular Reasoning: "Why do you believe in God, because the text says to."

Anyways...not debating religion here as I cannot disprove that there is no god, so therefore it could exist I will give you that. But I highly doubt anything written by man is godly and I certainly don't think it belongs in a government built upon logic (founding fathers) around known facts.

Old 03-15-2012, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by user_id View Post
Dude, c'mon, for every "philosophical argument" for god you find one can find a counterargument.
Therefore, the arguments and counterarguments must be of equal merit and cancel each other out!

Is that really your position? If so, that's pure laziness, not logic.

Old 03-15-2012, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post
Yeah Circular Reasoning: "Why do you believe in God, because the text says to."
Way to prove that you have never bothered with the arguments.

Old 03-15-2012, 05:15 PM

Quote:
That's saying something when even philosophers move on....
All that says is that the philosophers moving on have either: 1) decided the question for themselves without the aid of philosophy, or; 2) do not consider the question important. And that is why the discipline of philosophy is dead and corrupt in all but a few obscure liberal arts colleges and a handful of universities.

Old 03-15-2012, 05:16 PM

9,963 posts, read 18,491,299 times
Quote:
Way to prove that you have never bothered with the arguments.
I read them, sort of what every christian theologian says cause/effect therefore God is the cause. That IMO is not proof but a belief, for it to be a proof you have to have some evidence that the cause was in fact a God. You do not and neither do I.

Old 03-15-2012, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post
I read them, sort of what every christian theologian says cause/effect therefore God is the cause. That IMO is not proof but a belief, for it to be a proof you have to have some evidence that the cause was in fact a God. You do not and neither do I.
That's a very inadequate description of just one argument: Aquinas' second proof.

Philosophy proves what it can prove. It can prove that certain attributes of God are real, but it doesn't claim to prove, for example, the Athanasian Creed, because that is indeed an article of faith.

Good philosophy also requires a belief in certain assumptions that are rejected in many philosophy departments today. It begins with the beliefs that truth exists, that truth is knowable, and that truth matters. By rejecting these presuppositions, philosophy doesn't advance knowledge but becomes an exercise in futility.

Last edited by WesternPilgrim; 03-15-2012 at 05:52 PM..

Old 03-15-2012, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Right, again, proving that this is really a separation of church and state issue.
No, it isn't. What is it about "establishment" that you don't understand? Context is important: the backdrop for the establishment clause is the established Church of England and the established churches in the various colonies. That's what the First Amendment forbids at the federal level, and after incorporation, at all levels of government.

Otherwise government is free to be as religious as it wants to be short of establishing an official religion which must be observed by all on pain of legal penalties.

Any other interpretation is ridiculously overreaching and probably in violation of the free exercise clause.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California