Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2012, 05:59 PM

4,254 posts, read 5,580,494 times

Advertisements

The California Political Review proposes what ought to be common sense: Ban the "seven dirty words" in California classrooms.

Nothing signals the corruption and decay of our culture as clearly as the widespread acceptance of profanity. And I don't mean only the words, but also the casual references to gang rape, sodomy, perversion, and blasphemy now so commonly heard in our school halls and playgrounds.

I'm not quite suggesting that offending teachers and students be flogged, but the father of our country, George Washington, had the right idea when he issued this order to the officers under his command:

"Colonel Washington has observed, that the men of his Regiment are very profane and reprobate. He takes this opportunity of informing them of his great displeasure at such practises; and assures them if they do not leave them off, they shall be severely punished. The officers are desired, if they hear any man swear, or make use of an oath or execration; to order the offender twenty-five lashes immediately, without a Court Martial. For the second offence, they will be more severely punished."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2012, 06:05 PM

16,401 posts, read 30,805,450 times
Um I don't know why this is news... I'm 24 and this was never acceptable in any grade I was in.

Old 03-16-2012, 06:09 PM

1,482 posts, read 5,159,892 times
I'm not sure but this might be the very least of my concerns about education.

Old 03-16-2012, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
Um I don't know why this is news... I'm 24 and this was never acceptable in any grade I was in.
Depends on the school, I'm sure. From what I hear it's very common in some places.

In the late 70s and early 80s I didn't hear much profanity in the classroom - some, on the part of teachers trying to be cool - but outside those walls it was a cesspool and totally without discipline. The article mentions the classroom only: I think it ought to apply to the entire school campus, buses, field trips, any school activity anywhere.

Old 03-16-2012, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImRandy View Post
I'm not sure but this might be the very least of my concerns about education.
Granted - a culture of casual profanity, obscenity and blasphemy is an indicator of deeper problems.

Old 03-16-2012, 06:21 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,752,846 times
Oh **** off.

Old 03-16-2012, 06:23 PM

1,118 posts, read 2,277,345 times
Wouldn't that actually be in violation of the First Amendment? And seriously, how about fixing teaching standards before caring about the seven "dirty" words. What are we, Puritans?

Old 03-16-2012, 06:29 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,752,846 times
It's a Catholic thing, apparently. Have you heard the **** spouting out of Santorum lately?

Old 03-16-2012, 06:29 PM

3,064 posts, read 2,627,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WesternPilgrim View Post
The California Political Review proposes what ought to be common sense: Ban the "seven dirty words" in California classrooms.

Nothing signals the corruption and decay of our culture as clearly as the widespread acceptance of profanity. And I don't mean only the words, but also the casual references to gang rape, sodomy, perversion, and blasphemy now so commonly heard in our school halls and playgrounds.

I'm not quite suggesting that offending teachers and students be flogged, but the father of our country, George Washington, had the right idea when he issued this order to the officers under his command:

"Colonel Washington has observed, that the men of his Regiment are very profane and reprobate. He takes this opportunity of informing them of his great displeasure at such practises; and assures them if they do not leave them off, they shall be severely punished. The officers are desired, if they hear any man swear, or make use of an oath or execration; to order the offender twenty-five lashes immediately, without a Court Martial. For the second offence, they will be more severely punished."
Well, that's gonna mean pretty much emptying out the school libraries seeing as how almost all of the teen/young adult fiction is filled with not only the words but often accompanied by graphic descriptions or casual references to the rest of what you described.

Old 03-16-2012, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctrain View Post
Well, that's gonna mean pretty much emptying out the school libraries seeing as how almost all of the teen/young adult fiction is filled with not only the words but often accompanied by graphic descriptions or casual references to the rest of what you described.
Sounds good to me. Throw a party, roast some marshmallows and hot dogs over them. And replace them with decent literature.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California