Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2012, 12:15 AM

457 posts, read 756,799 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WesternPilgrim View Post
One plausible scenario:

In ten years California will be broke, perhaps bankrupt, and severely crumbling economically. As a result, the state will not be able to enforce the massive legal and regulatory burdens it imposes on its citizens. So we will face a situation common in the third world: an endless tangle of laws, many of them contradictory, but a culture of non-compliance due to chronic non-enforcement. Translation: increasing contempt and disregard for the law. Squatting on the state's vast unoccupied lands will be ubiquitous and there will be no will to evict. Substandard buildings will be erected, roads constructed, and neighborhoods developed without any regard for code, regs, taxes or fees. Businesses will operate without regard to legal permissions, restrictions, or standards. Etc.

At the same time, while the state's infrastructure is neglected and many of its laws abandoned, the state's social and ideological agenda will be pushed to extremes. Homeschooling will be illegal and prosecuted. Religious schools will have a mandatory curriculum imposed on them. Large families will be harrassed. Acceptance of homosexuality will be demanded for employment. All remaining inconveniences with respect to abortion will be removed. The Catholic Church and other Christian organizations will be forced to close colleges, universities, hospitals, orphanages, adoption agencies, nursing homes, assisted living facilities, homeless shelters, soup kitchens, food pantries, and so forth, because they cannot in good conscience comply with the state's demands.

The end game: economic ruin and social tyranny, combined with a massive population transfer. Those harrassed by the state's social climate will leave, and those attracted by the de facto anarchy in other respects will flood into the state.
Is that your concern or hope?

Old 03-24-2012, 12:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atvwife View Post
Hopefully the rest of the free-loaders swarm there and it falls in the ocean.
Thanks for referring senior citizens, youth population and working class people as "free loaders" and hoping for their death.

Old 03-24-2012, 12:44 AM

4,254 posts, read 5,606,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarawayDJ View Post
The only thing you can say with any certainty regarding CA in 10 years is this: the voters who have been in the majority will be getting everything they deserve; be it good or bad.
AND - mark my words - they will find a way to blame it on the rest of us.

Old 03-24-2012, 12:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
What a scenario. Extreme free market capitalism combined with hardcore atheism, anti-religiosity, and anti-clericalism, in an apocalyptic, violent state.

Sounds like a combination of Ayn Rand, BRAVE NEW WORLD, and Catalonia in 1936 with a little MAD MAX mixed in.

Ever thought of writing science fiction novels?
Actually, it sounds a lot like Mexico in the 1920s and 30s. The "free market", insofar as it existed, was an accident due to lack of resources; and the inability (or unwillingness) of the government to effectively enforce contracts turned capitalism into mere pillage and banditry.

Last edited by WesternPilgrim; 03-24-2012 at 01:28 AM..

Old 03-24-2012, 12:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WesternPilgrim View Post
AND - mark my words - they will find a way to blame it on the rest of us.

Old 03-24-2012, 01:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmode View Post
Is that your concern or hope?
A little of both, to be honest.

I'm a fourth generation Californian and too old to call anyplace else "home". If I leave the state, I'll always be a refugee, a foreigner, a Californian. So I would much prefer that California get turned around without going through this kind of catastrophe.

That said, I have a hard time imagining how anything but a large-scale disaster is going to do the trick. In all likelihood the state will have to hit rock bottom before it finally begins to sober up. It's hard not to hope "the sooner the better".

Old 03-24-2012, 02:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayorhaggar View Post
Nobody is stopping you from moving back to West Virginia. I guarantee you the second you arrive the first words out of your mouth will be "but back in California we..."
That's true, I can't deny it.

Old 03-24-2012, 05:22 AM

1,528 posts, read 4,233,028 times
California isn't as broke as one might think..

Literally the richest companies from both the U.S & the world are headquartered and have their operations in California..

No matter how you put it, that's money on top of California's soil..

Old 03-24-2012, 07:36 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,479,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
Never had to deal with that.

Same with that one. Mudslides are confined to the canyons and wildland interface areas, usually after a wildland fire

Still waiting for the big one, here at my house, which is a mere 10 miles from the San Andreas. If you don't hear from me for awhile after it lets loose, I'm probably homeless. Curmie will put me up for awhile.
Durn tootin'. Settle ya in the booming metropolis of Blue Eye - 129 folks, one gas station, three liquor stores, one greasy spoon, a post office, Jim Bakker's latest scam (Morningside) and five churches, including his church and show. Figure all that and the sparkling clean Ozarks air will clear yer head if it don't kill ya. Ya might not ever wanta leave. Oh yeah. Great hunting and fishing too.

Old 03-24-2012, 09:40 AM

16,588 posts, read 27,390,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimC2462 View Post
Ah, a worthless fear-mongering post.
LOL This doesn't even qualify for fear mongering. City-Data can attract some amazingly talented fiction writers though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California