U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 03-24-2012, 11:10 PM

4,432 posts, read 4,016,683 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
I'd like to hear more about Carmichael also. Other than it getting hot, (it gets incredibly hot in the Valley in which I live) is there something else that you think I wouldn't like? ...
I shared a house in Carmichael from 1982-1984 with a couple of other people. My experience is old, but I remember it as an extremely nice area to live in. I worked swing or graveyard shifts, and went to JC during the day. It was a quiet enough neighborhood that I had no trouble sleeping duriing "daytime" hours. Carmichael Park (am I remembering that name correctly?) is a lovely park along the American River. If it hasn't changed much from when I was there, then my worst description would be that it's a "bedroom suburb" type of place. No nightlife. Which suited me fine when I lived there.
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2012, 12:24 AM

3,697 posts, read 6,977,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oddstray View Post
I shared a house in Carmichael from 1982-1984 with a couple of other people. My experience is old, but I remember it as an extremely nice area to live in. I worked swing or graveyard shifts, and went to JC during the day. It was a quiet enough neighborhood that I had no trouble sleeping duriing "daytime" hours. Carmichael Park (am I remembering that name correctly?) is a lovely park along the American River. If it hasn't changed much from when I was there, then my worst description would be that it's a "bedroom suburb" type of place. No nightlife. Which suited me fine when I lived there.
I would think that Carmichael has very similar characteristics to other Sac suburbs, at a minimum in terms of weather. The Central Valley smog and summer heat would have to be taken into consideration as concessions. But it could still be a very nice place to live. Rocklin and Roseville are two other very popular, affordable options. As one heads toward the Sierra Foothills places like Auburn and Grass Valley are options as well. The Sierra Foothills offer a bit more country type living while still close enough to the city to do things there as needed.

In SoCal Murrieta and Temecula are other more affordable areas to look into, and they are closer to the coast (than Sac) if that is desirable. Though they are definately bedroom coummunities.

Derek

Last edited by MtnSurfer; 03-25-2012 at 12:33 AM..

Old 03-25-2012, 07:47 PM

4,432 posts, read 4,016,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnSurfer View Post
... In SoCal Murrieta and Temecula are other more affordable areas to look into, and they are closer to the coast (than Sac) if that is desirable. Though they are definately bedroom coummunities.
Though they are closer to the coast, they are as hot or more so in summer than Sacramento area.

Old 03-26-2012, 12:51 AM

3,697 posts, read 6,977,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oddstray View Post
Though they are closer to the coast, they are as hot or more so in summer than Sacramento area.
Agreed, the main benefit is you can get to the coast in under an hour (Oceanside, Carlsbad) during those hot Summer months. In Sacramento you can escape to the mountains, though they still get pretty hot in the Summer as well. Also Winter is more mild which the OP was looking for.

Derek

Old 07-26-2012, 08:47 PM

647 posts, read 796,690 times
Quote:
I am guessing that the above is mutually exclusive. Not expensive, not depressing, nice weather.

What is nice weather? Nothing harsh. No 101 degrees. No cold rainy places. Nothing cold.

Perfect temps? Low 50 degrees. High 80. Mostly 70.

Been to some beautiful places in CA - San Diego, Santa Barbara, Santa Monica, Monterrey. I don't mind parts of the valley.

Places that I wish to never visit again - El Monte, El Cajon, Riverside, and Needles. I was only in each for a day, but at least when I was, ten years ago, they were not for me.

Is there a nice place that is perhaps up and coming, that I am missing?

I am politically left of center, if that is of help.
Have you ruled out the Bay Area as too expensive? I'd take a look at various cities in Contra Costa County, paying close attention to crime rates and summer highs. "Affordability" can just depend on how much luxury or living space you need.

Old 07-27-2012, 12:42 AM

7,250 posts, read 2,988,862 times
Quote:
I am guessing that the above is mutually exclusive. Not expensive, not depressing, nice weather.

What is nice weather? Nothing harsh. No 101 degrees. No cold rainy places. Nothing cold.

Perfect temps? Low 50 degrees. High 80. Mostly 70.

Been to some beautiful places in CA - San Diego, Santa Barbara, Santa Monica, Monterrey. I don't mind parts of the valley.

Places that I wish to never visit again - El Monte, El Cajon, Riverside, and Needles. I was only in each for a day, but at least when I was, ten years ago, they were not for me.

Is there a nice place that is perhaps up and coming, that I am missing?

I am politically left of center, if that is of help.
You could try Vista, CA.

Old 07-27-2012, 09:33 AM

674 posts, read 543,883 times
Nullgeo - that's your van??? You said you lived in a van but never said it was the Taj Mahal of vans! As they said in the olden days "far out man"....
I do hope you are never far away from it, their popularity has gone through the stratosphere.

Old 07-27-2012, 09:55 AM

7,151 posts, read 4,295,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Social Democrat View Post
Nullgeo - that's your van??? You said you lived in a van but never said it was the Taj Mahal of vans! As they said in the olden days "far out man"....
I do hope you are never far away from it, their popularity has gone through the stratosphere.
Heh -- nope. I have never posted a picture of my actual van ... though I have been asked to, and I guess I will get around to interior shots someday ... but I won't post the exterior.

If you like that van, you would love the real one ... but no, it's not a rolling "shag" palace ... just real comfy and functionally so.

Old 07-27-2012, 01:56 PM

674 posts, read 543,883 times
Post away when you can.....maybe you can do a close up or two of the exterior just to get a hint of the exterior....

Oh, to the OP - you might check out Ventura county cities; Ventura, Oxnard & Camarillio too.

Old 07-27-2012, 02:13 PM

8,517 posts, read 3,726,484 times
How about Alameda? It's not "affordable" by non-Bay Area standards, but vastly more so than San Francisco. And it has a very appealing small-town atmosphere while being reasonably close to other East Bay cities and SF. Last time I checked, a 2BR condo by the beach could be had for ~250K. A one-bedroom apartment, for 1000-1200/month.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California