Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2012, 03:10 AM

23,917 posts, read 32,243,846 times

Advertisements

I am guessing that the above is mutually exclusive. Not expensive, not depressing, nice weather.

What is nice weather? Nothing harsh. No 101 degrees. No cold rainy places. Nothing cold.

Perfect temps? Low 50 degrees. High 80. Mostly 70.

Been to some beautiful places in CA - San Diego, Santa Barbara, Santa Monica, Monterrey. I don't mind parts of the valley.

Places that I wish to never visit again - El Monte, El Cajon, Riverside, and Needles. I was only in each for a day, but at least when I was, ten years ago, they were not for me.

Is there a nice place that is perhaps up and coming, that I am missing?

I am politically left of center, if that is of help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2012, 08:28 AM

7,150 posts, read 10,856,001 times

Old 03-22-2012, 08:30 AM

194 posts, read 504,182 times
More $$ - Central Coast, Ventura, Western LA County, OC, Western SD County, Santa Cruz, Bay Area

Less $$ - Ukiah, Sierra Foothills (Paradise, Placerville, Jackson, Sonora, etc..)

Old 03-22-2012, 08:31 AM
jw2

2,028 posts, read 3,256,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
I am guessing that the above is mutually exclusive. Not expensive, not depressing, nice weather.

What is nice weather? Nothing harsh. No 101 degrees. No cold rainy places. Nothing cold.

Perfect temps? Low 50 degrees. High 80. Mostly 70.

Been to some beautiful places in CA - San Diego, Santa Barbara, Santa Monica, Monterrey. I don't mind parts of the valley.

Places that I wish to never visit again - El Monte, El Cajon, Riverside, and Needles. I was only in each for a day, but at least when I was, ten years ago, they were not for me.

Is there a nice place that is perhaps up and coming, that I am missing?

I am politically left of center, if that is of help.
Perhaps you can elaborate on what 'not expensive' and 'not depressing' mean. To get that weather you seek, you will likely have to stay within a few miles of the coast. As you probably know, lots of people want that weather so it will be more expensive.

Old 03-22-2012, 01:18 PM

2,190 posts, read 6,836,909 times
Yes, what is your rental budget? That's key.

Old 03-22-2012, 01:56 PM

10,229 posts, read 16,257,337 times
I'd say northern coast, myself, like Mendocino on up to Crescent city. Thing is, I don't think any portion of the California, or even Oregon, coast is inexpensive. And areas in the upper-north region like Alturas (near the Oregon border) have cooler summers but cold snowy winters.

There are some towns near Yosemite that small and quaint, like Oakdale and Mariposa, that would be worth checking into. They still get a little hotter than you'd like, but I don't think their snowy season is very long. It IS considerably cheaper than most of California, though.

Old 03-22-2012, 06:23 PM

5,113 posts, read 19,713,663 times
Affordable? Oceanside, but probably not up your political alley

Old 03-22-2012, 07:33 PM

8,195 posts, read 16,613,384 times
Yet another nice weather, affordable living in Paradise post. Hmm... I wonder what happens to most of these folks once they come to realize this is not very common in CA? Its kinda like asking for what most everyone wants/dreams of (nice year round weather, low crime, good job market, good school districts, etc...) for a really low price. Unfortunately simple supply and demand dictates cost. So you aren't going to find the dream location for a really cheap price. Reason: everyone and their brother already did and that is why the prices are so high! What does that leave you with? A dose of reality maybe and time to reevaluate what is really important to you, also a willingness to compromise on some of the dreamy shangri la ideals. Why do you think many natives move out of CA? You guessed it, to find that affordable shangri la somewhere else, minus the perfect weather of course. Hello TX, AZ, CO, FL, SC, OK, etc... here come the Californians lookin' for love in all the wrong places.

What about jobs which weren't mentioned? What's your housing budget? Define affordable. If you are living on a fixed income and don't need a job then other more remote locations are a possibility like Santa Maria or Lompoc. Have you considered mobile living as Nullgeo referenced above, seriously? Check out 1000 trails. Its only ~50/month for unlimited year round hookups/camping: Best Camping Site | Best Campsite | Nationwide Camping Resorts

Derek

Last edited by MtnSurfer; 03-22-2012 at 07:56 PM..

Old 03-22-2012, 08:30 PM

2,190 posts, read 6,836,909 times
o.p.
"depressing" is subjective.
"affordable" is relative.
you need to be more specific.

Old 03-23-2012, 12:44 AM

23,917 posts, read 32,243,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhcompy View Post
Affordable? Oceanside, but probably not up your political alley
How do you know my "political alley"?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California