Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2012, 12:57 PM

7,150 posts, read 10,851,256 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaijai View Post
Same here (or i should say me neither) ... in northern New England, Idaho, the southwest and California.
When, in Idaho specifically, i'm hiking with my dog in areas where it's likely that bears are around, i just make a bit of noise now and then so as not to startle a momma with cubs.
I do admit to being quite paranoid about mountain lions. That's the only better thing about the northeast woods for one like me who has a phobia ... no mountain lions.
True. But they do have man-eating blackflies and mosquitoes
(I used to live in Maine -- barely escaped with my hide -- although the place is so marvelous, it's almost worth the May thru August assault)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2012, 02:27 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,813,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMenscha View Post
I believe there have been exactly 2 instances of humans killed by mountain lions since CA became a state.
Verified Mountain Lion Attacks on Humans in California (http://www.dfg.ca.gov/news/issues/lion/attacks.html - broken link)

Old 03-24-2012, 02:48 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,354,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
Verified Mountain Lion Attacks on Humans in California (http://www.dfg.ca.gov/news/issues/lion/attacks.html - broken link)
Two or 16, I guess it only really matters if you're one of them. Two-legged critters are far more worrisome.

Old 03-24-2012, 02:51 PM

2,190 posts, read 6,835,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nullgeo View Post
True. But they do have man-eating blackflies and mosquitoes
(I used to live in Maine -- barely escaped with my hide -- although the place is so marvelous, it's almost worth the May thru August assault)
Oh yeah.
I spent a lot of time in the White Mountains of New Hampshire as a child.
June was the really bad month if i'm remembering correctly.
We kids (us kids?) were always covered in black fly bite scabs from head to toe.
No Off for us .. yucko.
Although the smell of Woodsman and Cutters bug repellent (which we'd be forced to use on occasion) brings me right back to that time. Yummmmm.

Old 03-24-2012, 03:14 PM

Location: Finally escaped The People's Republic of California
11,258 posts, read 8,627,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Two or 16, I guess it only really matters if you're one of them. Two-legged critters are far more worrisome.
AS one who spends a good bit of time in the Mountains, Lakes, Hills and Hollars of the Golden State, I would agree that the reason to carry in the back country is the 2 legged animals that filter out of our cities into the back country..
Cats have killed 16 in 100 years, but the human murder rate is what 3 a day?

Old 03-24-2012, 03:17 PM

2,190 posts, read 6,835,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali BassMan View Post
AS one who spends a good bit of time in the Mountains, Lakes, Hills and Hollars of the Golden State, I would agree that the reason to carry in the back country is the 2 legged animals that filter out of our cities into the back country..
Cats have killed 16 in 100 years, but the human murder rate is what 3 a day?
While i agree that the two legged ones are potentially treacherous, i've also, in all my years of hiking / camping, never encountered a rapist, murderer, thief, etc.. (knock on wood).

Old 03-24-2012, 03:34 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,813,908 times
I counted 6. Don't know where 16 came from.

Old 03-24-2012, 04:06 PM

3,727 posts, read 6,203,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by .highnlite View Post
There are some folks here that have talked about carrying weapons in the woods for protection from critters.
Twisting statistics to fit an agenda? Most of us know that the risk from two legged predators is far greater than is the risk from four legged ones. That said, there is still risk, remote though it may be. Black bears are not harmless, cute, cuddly, shy animals. Want to twist some numbers? Far more humans have been killed in North America by black bears than by grizzlies. Reason is because black bear interactions with people are quite common due to the much wider distribution of the animal, while grizzly distribution is limited, as are contacts with humans. Of course dogs kill more people than wild animals, there are thousands of interactions between dogs and humans for each interaction between a person and a wild predator.

www.dfg.ca.gov/news/issues/bear/bear_incidents.html

Old 03-24-2012, 04:49 PM

6,957 posts, read 22,246,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
Thank you sir, I stand corrected, I knew it was less than ten, I was in a hurry when I posted.

Old 03-24-2012, 05:19 PM

7,150 posts, read 10,851,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaijai View Post
Oh yeah.
I spent a lot of time in the White Mountains of New Hampshire as a child.
June was the really bad month if i'm remembering correctly.
We kids (us kids?) were always covered in black fly bite scabs from head to toe.
No Off for us .. yucko.
Although the smell of Woodsman and Cutters bug repellent (which we'd be forced to use on occasion) brings me right back to that time. Yummmmm.
I have hiked the White Mountains extensively ... Mt. Washington at least three times up the bad side. All said, though, the black flies get worse the further north you go (Maine).

Yes, blackflies are usually a very late April, at the earliest, hatch -- most typically mid-May thru June ... then they graciously give way to the mosquitoes. Thoughtful bunch, spreading the terror until early / mid-August ... then: heaven on earth, like even California can't match, until about mid-Nov.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California